News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I know its not period .......

Started by FaireMare, May 26, 2008, 12:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FaireMare

....but

Lets try to not have to use this sentence.  I have seen it an awful lot lately.  If its not period it doesnt belong.   There are just TOO many things happening here to have non period items or comments.

Current comments can stay up (reluctantly) but new ones will be burned as plague.

Thank you for your help!

Hoowil

Could we maybe set up an area in the Back Stage area to show/discuss non-ren projects?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

FaireMare

THis was discussed some time ago in the old room by the moderators.  RF provides a large number of areas to it's members.  To keep adding more areas would be a strain on the system and the Amdin.  We are very careful about new areas being added.

At this point the answer will have to be .... No.

gypsylakat

*blushes* I sorry I am an offender of such a topic.... I do think it would be nice if we had a place, perhaps not a new area, but an area that would be appropriate for such topics... because many of us do dabble in mundane projects and sometimes we need support in whatever we're working on... I'd like to offer my help if we can figure something out to do for that... although I am myself having issues racking my brain to find a solution for this.
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

silverstah

I, too, would love a place to discuss out-of-period sewing projects - but if that's beyond the forums capacity at this time, I guess we have to be content with what we have. :)

As a reminder to folks, we DO have a place to discuss general crafty-type stuff, here:

http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?board=17.0
Catarina Caravello - Mistress of the Bobbins
\"Arrrgh.  Feed Dogs.  Arrrgh.\"  -The Pirate, sewing

operafantomet

I understand it might be straining the system - but couldn't there be a pinned thread for "non-period" projects? So everything was posted there? Or transform the craft thread into an "everything else that can be sewn" kind of thing? I understand if you want to save the banswidth for what the forum is dedicated to, I really do. But it seems like many makers of historical costumes makes other stuff as well, and that they want to discuss it. It's just so nice to hang out in one place instead of visiting multiple forums.  :)

(said the girl who's visiting at least five different forums daily....  ::) ;D )

FaireMare

Taking stand folks...

This is Renaissance Festival dot com.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Operafan does make a good point.  One home to discuss off period would be handy.  I also understand FaireMare's point.

While Tudor/Elizabethan is my strong area for recreating period clothing, I also dabble in other periods be that 18th Century, Regency, Victorian/Edwardian, Fantasy, and beyond, I do not have the time to be a member of various message board communities pretaining to those periods.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

gypsylakat

to play off of what lady olmstedd just said, if we did take the time to go offsite for such things, it would take away the energy and time we have to spend here... :( I love everyone so much!
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

HenrySidneyKG

Well, given I've seen everything from caveman to Klingon at a faire, perhaps some clarification might be in order as to what "period" is defined as, hmmm?

silverstah

Quote from: HenrySidneyKG on May 29, 2008, 01:58:37 PM
Well, given I've seen everything from caveman to Klingon at a faire, perhaps some clarification might be in order, hmmm?

Valid point!  Especially since the 'Pirate Coats' and tricorn hats that are so terribly popular nowadays are most decidedly NOT from the Renaissance - they were historically popular from about 1680 - the mid/late 1700's.

Allowing the crafters to discuss non-Renaissance related sewing projects is only going to build community by encouraging us to be more active on the boards and allow us to share resources, tips, and tricks that *are* applicable for Renaissance related sewing projects, but that we can't share in the regular sewing threads because we chose to use that technique on, say, a 17th, 18th or 19th century project.

I think it would be a valuable asset to the community, and by placing it in the 'Backstage' area, it wouldn't draw any attention away from the Renaissance-related sewing threads.  So many of us make our 'home' here at R/F, and I know we'd all love the opportunity to show off our other works. :)
Catarina Caravello - Mistress of the Bobbins
\"Arrrgh.  Feed Dogs.  Arrrgh.\"  -The Pirate, sewing

gem

I'm in agreement--this IS Renaissance Festival.com's Sewing area.  To me, that means so much more than just "historically accurate 16th Century clothing only--"  as we've stated so much in the past, and tried so hard to make everyone feel welcome, regardless of whether they're sewing H/A period clothing or not.

We happily discuss lots of medieval garments here, not to mention fairy costumes and pirate outfits... how is the 13th Century any closer to the Renaissance than the 18th?  Why can we talk about one non-Renaissance period, but not another?  And how is anyone supposed to know which is OK?  If we say we can ONLY talk about Renaissance costuming, then to me that sounds like we should ONLY be talking about H/A Renaissance period costuming... and that would destroy the attitude of welcome we've worked so hard to establish here.

If we were being *overwhelmed* by non-period (or, more to the point, non-Fair, discussions) that would be one thing.  But it realy only comes up rarely.

And besides: you guys are my sewing community.  You're the ones I want to share my triumphs with, ask my questions of.  I may not *have* other people to ask how to put a zipper in.  I have no plans for zippers, mind you--but if I have a question, I would really like to feel as though I can ask it here.

Mare does a fabulous job moderating this forum... but we're really a well-behaved bunch.  I feel like a responsible teenager asking for an extension of my curfew.  If we promise not to abuse the privilege, could we have a little more leeway?

Lady L

Quote from: gem on May 29, 2008, 03:58:32 PM
We happily discuss lots of medieval garments here, not to mention fairy costumes and pirate outfits... how is the 13th Century any closer to the Renaissance than the 18th?  Why can we talk about one non-Renaissance period, but not another?  And how is anyone supposed to know which is OK?  If we say we can ONLY talk about Renaissance costuming, then to me that sounds like we should ONLY be talking about H/A Renaissance period costuming... and that would destroy the attitude of welcome we've worked so hard to establish here.
This is exactly what I have been thinking about the last few days/nights. Where is the line going to be drawn? It did sound to me like we were supposed to only post/post photos of historically accurate Renaissance time frame garb. That would mean I wouldn't have anything, because I have never tried to be THAT accurate, as our faire does not require it. I think it is interesting, as background information and I might attempt it one day, but really that is not my focus right now. My focus is making garb for my family, including pirates and fairies, for MNRF.
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

FaireMare

Quote from: HenrySidneyKG on May 29, 2008, 01:58:37 PM
Well, given I've seen everything from caveman to Klingon at a faire, perhaps some clarification might be in order as to what "period" is defined as, hmmm?

All things Ren Faire Related.   We have discussed this topic before.  Ren Related:  Renaissance All 300 years, a smidge Medievil, a smidge fantasy..... cross over pirate from wrong era... I have issue with that, but it is acceptable at RenFaire so there for its acceptable here.

Cheer Skirts?  Flapper Dress? Titanic Dress? Starfleet issue shirt?  we may see them at faire, but not worn by someone serious about "REN". 

Kate XXXXXX

There are so many excellent groups and forums for all sorts of non-renfair related sewing that access to advice for such items is readily available.  I'm not sure we need to include those areas here, but would it be allowable to ask where to find such advice, and for those of us who know to be able to point those who would like to know in the right direction?  There are a goodly number of us sewing folks who dabble in many periods outside the already generous boundaries of this forum, and who will provide a familiar face in those places for folk needing specific advice.