News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I know its not period .......

Started by FaireMare, May 26, 2008, 12:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

renren

I think the answer may be... the difference between "Period" and "historically accurate"..
Yes, pirates are technically not quite either, but there are a lot of them at faire,like me. :)

As for the non-ren sewing projects,we have a "mundane" section, would that be the appropriate place for this?
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Rage

Quote from: FaireMare on May 26, 2008, 12:42:00 AM
....but

Lets try to not have to use this sentence.  I have seen it an awful lot lately.  If its not period it doesn't belong.  there are just TOO many things happening here to have non period items or comments.

Current comments can stay up (reluctantly) but new ones will be burned as plague.

Thank you for your help!

Wait, I know this is not an area that I post but I do read here from time to time. Fairemare you are a moderator not a director. You & DB can burn me for that comment if you wish but thats way out of line to tell people they can not make posts like that, this is a public forum, yes its ren based but non-topic things get posted all the time. If you don't think they should be in this area then bump them to mundanes "burning them like the plague" is uncalled for and I personally think you should not be a moderator if you act in this manor.

ladiedragon

Quote from: FaireMare on May 29, 2008, 11:07:02 PM
Quote from: HenrySidneyKG on May 29, 2008, 01:58:37 PM
Well, given I've seen everything from caveman to Klingon at a faire, perhaps some clarification might be in order as to what "period" is defined as, hmmm?

All things Ren Faire Related.   We have discussed this topic before.  Ren Related:  Renaissance All 300 years, a smidge Medievil, a smidge fantasy..... cross over pirate from wrong era... I have issue with that, but it is acceptable at RenFaire so there for its acceptable here.

Cheer Skirts?  Flapper Dress? Titanic Dress? Starfleet issue shirt?  we may see them at faire, but not worn by someone serious about "REN". 

First I jsut say to say,I have tried to keep this post not snarky and I do apologize if it comes across that way.

I am not a very good sewer, I have just started to learn about things. I am not the type of person to use what seems like such restrictions. I know that some of my garb (is garb a "period"word?)  MIGHT not be considered "period" by others but does that make it wrong? I see things like this and it makes me not want to come in here for fear of being burned or plagued or banned or snarked upon for asking a question.

This is a forum we are all here learn from other people and have some fun, not to get burned,snarked,banned,plagued,ect.ect.about what is the correct/period way of things. And I understand that YES there is garb and clothing that is "period". I don't dress to "period" sometimes, does that make me not serious about "Ren"? Just because someone is serious about one thing and not another,doesn't mean they are less of a person.  Some one who works in a higher up corp. may wear a business suit to work but on their days of or out on the town they may change into a biker with tattoos. Does this mean they are not serious about what they do?

I guess I don't understand how this can be regulated SO much that it just doesn't seem fun to even come in to ANY sewing thread or anything. Can someone please give listings or a syllibus to us or me, so that I know what EXACTLY is considered period?

Lord Figaro

Looking at it from this side of the fence. Firstly, lets all take a breath and step back for a second. I can see where Rage and ladiedragon are coming from. I'm hoping that what FaireMaire was meaning may have been taken wrong. Having said something in the old boards that upset both my self and someone I love dearly and having hurt a good friendship.  I'm reading it the same way Rage and ladiedragon are, meaning if your not going to do a true ren period outfit, then it doesn't belong. If your putting something on here that's not period it will be removed.

I would have to say, that attitude would not be as totally open as this community really is.  You would never tell a person going into fest that they can't come in if they aren't period.  No more so, do I feel it would be beneficial to this online community to do the same.  Please correct me if I'm wrong here FaireMaire, but I feel you may be being a little heavy handed in your view.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

Master James

Quote from: FaireMare on May 29, 2008, 02:42:35 AM
Taking stand folks...

This is Renaissance Festival dot com.

FaireMare I really hate to jump into the fray on this one but, yes we are a ren community site and yet we still have an entire area devoted to Mundane Topics which have absolutely nothing to do with the ren community other than we are all on here.  Maybe a sticky thread or something could be set up in there to discuss sewing projects other than those ren related.  Taking the stand that this board is ren only unfortunately doesn't hold a lot of water when we have a Mundane Topics section of the board.  Just my 2 pence.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

silverstah

I don't think that FM or any of the moderation staff would EVER say that all garb or sewing related posts have to be purely historically accurate.  As a matter of fact, the moderation staff has worked VERY hard to ensure that this is an open and welcoming place to discuss historically accurate, 'just-for-fun', and fantasy costuming. 

From what I understand, the issue has come up where folks have posted about their later-period costume projects - 18th and 19th century stuff, primarily.  IIRC, most of these have been either in the form of comments as a suggestion to someone asking a question (offering up a solution that worked on their 18th c. costume) or making a post in the 'finished projects' thread of a project that was a later period than is TYPICALLY seen at Renaissance faires.

What some of us are asking for is a section where it WOULD be appropriate to post these out-of-period projects - perhaps an area in the 'Backstage', where off-topic posts are acceptable and welcomed.  Many of us like to dabble in other costume periods, and we'd love to have a place to show off to our R/F friends.  We have such a wonderful community here, and I love seeing what all of our costumers create - whether it be 14th c., 16th c. or 19thc.! :)

Personally, I don't think that this would detract from the faire costuming area - I think it would only add to the depth of knowledge that we have here.  There are sewing techniques that people use in later-period costuming that are directly applicable to faire costuming that we can't share because we happened to use them on a later-period costume, and that's a darn shame - IMHO, of course.

Edit: from the forum rules:

We welcome all level of Festival garbers from fantasy to Down right accurate.  From Novice to verteran performer....  We are all encompasing.

So I think our fairy costumes, pirate coats and underbust bodices are safe. ;)
Catarina Caravello - Mistress of the Bobbins
\"Arrrgh.  Feed Dogs.  Arrrgh.\"  -The Pirate, sewing

John

ladiedragon and rage, piling on FaireMare does nothing for your case.

Lord Figaro

I don't believe anyone is meaning to pile anything on FaireMare John, and if my comments did imply that, I heartily apologize to her.  I would never mean to do that. I think what people are  doing is using their form of open discussion to come to an agreement and understanding. Please though forgive if anything was taken in the negative.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

Rage

Quote from: Master James on May 30, 2008, 12:15:39 PM
Quote from: FaireMare on May 29, 2008, 02:42:35 AM
Taking stand folks...

This is Renaissance Festival dot com.

FaireMare I really hate to jump into the fray on this one but, yes we are a ren community site and yet we still have an entire area devoted to Mundane Topics which have absolutely nothing to do with the ren community other than we are all on here.  Maybe a sticky thread or something could be set up in there to discuss sewing projects other than those ren related.  Taking the stand that this board is ren only unfortunately doesn't hold a lot of water when we have a Mundane Topics section of the board.  Just my 2 pence.

I was going to be nicer and suggest this same thing. I have already been talking with DB. My issue is that you need to loosen up and listen to the people in your forum.

Lady Christina de Pond

how are pirates not period i thought they always had pirates they still have pirates
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

silverstah

Quote from: Lady Christina de Pond on May 30, 2008, 01:23:07 PM
how are pirates not period i thought they always had pirates they still have pirates

Pirates - renegade sailors who illegally board ships and do bad things - are period to the Renaissance.  There have been pirates since the dawn of sailing ships.  There are historic accounts of piracy dating back to the Greeks and the Romans, and piracy continues through the modern day

However, the trend of "pirate coats" and tricorn hats, made popular by the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, is not technically part of the Renaissance period.  These garments were worn primarily from 680-1720's or so.  This period was known as the Golden Age of Piracy

Pirates of any era simply wore the clothes that everyone else wore - with modifications that made life on a working ship easier.  Reconstructing History's English Sea Dogs pattern is an excellent representation of what a sailor would have worn during the Elizabethan era. 

Here are a few sites on sailors in the Renaissance:

http://ilaria.veltri.tripod.com/sailorboys.html
http://home.comcast.net/~calderon/clothing.htm

Edit:  I made a new topic of discussion about period pirates here!
Catarina Caravello - Mistress of the Bobbins
\"Arrrgh.  Feed Dogs.  Arrrgh.\"  -The Pirate, sewing

Ren Jen

This is an entertaining thread in and of itself.... 

Rage

Quote from: John on May 30, 2008, 12:24:28 PM
ladiedragon and rage, piling on FaireMare does nothing for your case.

John,

I sent you a PM about this. LD's post did not have to do with mine, hers was not the same as mine and she is not trying to back me up.

Lady Ann of Draycott

Quote from: FaireMare on May 26, 2008, 12:42:00 AM
....but

Lets try to not have to use this sentence.  I have seen it an awful lot lately.  If its not period it doesnt belong.   There are just TOO many things happening here to have non period items or comments.

Current comments can stay up (reluctantly) but new ones will be burned as plague.

Thank you for your help!

um...would it be possible to change "period" to "ren-related" ?

For example:  "If it is not ren-related it doesn't belong."

To me, and I could be wrong, "period" and "historically accurate" are the same thing and there are a lot of us that don't give a hoot about being historically accurate, but if "period" means something else then please let me know.

I was just thinking that "ren-related" might be more specific or descriptive than "period", but again I could be wrong.

Forgive me, but I'm just trying to understand the terminology and what is acceptable and what isn't.  ;)

Collector of Wine and Roses
Clan McLotofus Elder
Landshark No. 96

gypsylakat

Everyone, please take 3 minutes after posting to calm down and re-read your posts before posting them, most of the things we say in anger or annoyance or when we're otherwise upset are often not what we really want to say, or should say.

(This is not to say that I have not had my personal greivances with things on the forums at times and acted against my better instincts, but I think since this is kind of important to people we should try to think carefully about what we are saying)
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."