News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I know its not period .......

Started by FaireMare, May 26, 2008, 12:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rage

Quote from: gypsylakat on May 30, 2008, 02:48:57 PM
Everyone, please take 3 minutes after posting to calm down and re-read your posts before posting them, most of the things we say in anger or annoyance or when we're otherwise upset are often not what we really want to say, or should say.

(This is not to say that I have not had my personal greivances with things on the forums at times and acted against my better instincts, but I think since this is kind of important to people we should try to think carefully about what we are saying)

I was going to ask that everyone just stop posting here for now (yes I know I am the outspoken one). Alot of points have been made. FM has not had a chance to respond and needs to be given that chance.

Right now this is all in John & DB's hands. If they feel that what FM posted is ok then I will leave it alone. If they think it wasn't then they will talk with FM. They need time to decide this.

FM if you would rather respond in private please PM me. I am more then willing to talk with you.

renren

I think Lady Ann has a great idea!
It may reduce the amount of misunderstandings/misinterpretations about what to post pics of.

Now can go forward peracefully? :)
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Lord Figaro

Quote from: renren on May 30, 2008, 04:01:46 PM
Now can go forward peracefully? :)

Yeah, either that or we start taking using the Pirates rule. Where "The floggings will continue, until morale improves." SO THERE!!!!!!
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

Lady Ann of Draycott

Actually it was your post that gave me the idea renren!  ;)

Collector of Wine and Roses
Clan McLotofus Elder
Landshark No. 96

renren

Quote from: Lady Ann of Draycott on May 30, 2008, 04:17:39 PM

Actually it was your post that gave me the idea renren!  ;)

We make a good team! ;D
Renren
Wench  #  3783

Guppy # 32 ROoL

FaireMare

What I see at this point is words being taken totally out of context.  And there are those that seem to really want to give their own meanings to my words... Regularly.   I am the first to admit that I am no where near perfect.  If I were, I would not be dealing with this. I would be assended.

IF You know me at all you know that I stand for all things Ren Faire related.  To say otherwise is wrong.   The use of the word "Period", obviously not my best choice of words, But it DID mean "ALL THINGS REN RELATED".  Nothing more or less.

So here is the new deall....

Post what ever whenever you want.
You all win...... Hope you feel wonderful.

willin

Mare,  your threads need you !
GOT FEET ?

DeadBishop

Here's the deal people.  Ideas were misconstrued, and many things were taken out of context and then ran with.  Guidelines for not only the garbing/sewing but the site as a whole were set in place some time ago, on the old forum, and people seem to have forgotten what they were.  And even with those guidelines in place, we've tried to be flexible.  When the garbing section wasn't good enough, we split it into garbing and sewing to differentiate and help keep things better organized.  Now some think a third area is needed.  Where will it stop?  Any further expansion in this way, and we'll lose our identity.  I didn't spends countless nights of frustration without sleep to rebuild our home just so that it could get torn down again because something was taken out of context.  This is supposed to be our escape from real world drama.  This is my happy place; and hopefully it is other's as well.  I'm getting very little of that recently, but I'm striving to rebuild in the hopes that this site will be even better over time.  I have faith.  Do you?

I want everyone to step back and look at the bigger picture.  Do you enjoy your time here?  Then why all the drama over something so trivial?  We built this site for faire related discussions.  We've done some growing since then.  Some time ago I set up a new "mundane" area to help broaden the forums so that people could share additional interests beyond faire itself.  Now, I don't want to start adding more and more to the site to the point that faire is no longer the focus or R/F.com.  That's the primary function of this site; faire.  Yes, we all have many interests that fall outside of faire.  Everything has it's place, and some things just don't belong here.  That's not to say that we only want faire related topics, but that's our focus.  If anyone really feels the need to bring up other subjects, which is fine, that's what "mundane topics" is for.  This site still has a long way to go before it gets back up to speed where the old site was, so everyone is just going to have to be patient while we work through it.  There are still many adjustments to be made, but that doesn't mean we've forgotten our purpose. 

A large percentage of this site's traffic is focused on the garbing/sewing area because it IS such a huge part of faire.  We need to maintain a level of commitment and focus to this area because of that; both from our members and our moderators.  There's no reason to question the moderators on how they do their job, when in the end they are doing a huge service FOR you, not against you.  Let them do their jobs; don't make it harder for them.  Our members have an endless knowledge base and provide a HUGE resource for those needing more info for things related to faire.  We don't want to confuse/overwhelm new people seeking this knowledge.  If we lose focus, we lose interest.   No interest means no new members to share ideas with.  And that would truly be a tragedy.  Let's try to support each other and make this site better than before.

Keeping in the spirit of ren;

Deadbishop

R/F.com member since 2003

willin

Well Put !

& A Hip Hip Huzzah for DB & Mare !

~

if anyones interested here is a Mundane Sewing Thread. . .
http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=1125.0
GOT FEET ?

renren

Let's give Maire, DB, John, and all the other mods a big thank you, for putting up with us!

Thanks guys and gals, for doing what you do, I know I couldn't!
Renren
Wench  #  3783

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Dev

Things that would be worn to fit in at a faire = garb
Things not worn at the faire = other

Loose definition yes, I'm probably biased against a strictly-Renaissance-only rule because I'm [1] playtron and not cast and [2] portraying a fantasy character.  However, I won't slash my wrists in angst if I have to post about quasi-period fantasy garb in an "other" section because I understand the need of people who are cast or otherwise work at the faire and NEED to be period/HA.