News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Tying Celtic knots

Started by Deckard And Zhora, November 06, 2009, 08:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deckard And Zhora

Hey everyone!

I have always been a Celtic-knot enthusiast have tons of jewelry I draw them, I am even tattooed! I have seen places people actually tying Celtic knots and I got a demonstration last week and have mastered that knot. I am looking for more. I do have a book of knots, but most of them aren't "beginner" type knots to try. Does anyone know any online (FREE) source that has different knots to tie?

The only thing I have found that is close is a book, but I'd love to start with free stuff first!

;D

mieljolie

Royal Order of Landsharks - Guppy No. 85

mieljolie

Gwen aka Punstergal

Wahoo!! Always a pleasure to meet another knotwork enthusiast!! I never could draw them, but I tie knotwork crafts (and other assorted knotty things- I'm a rope artist :)  I'll send you a private message to my art site in a sec and a link idea which may help you, but which may not be approved for some of the younger forum members, hehe.
"Hell hath no fury like an enraged Gryphon Master"

Trillium

Sending you a PM also.  My hubby is into knotwork and there is a site that he likes to look at.  Although they don't show anything inappropriate, you can figure out easily what they are using them for. :o
Got faerie dust?

mieljolie

Sorry, the link I posted above should have proved disappointing for many.  LOL!  Not at all that kind of "knotty".  :o  :)

Deckard And Zhora

Hahaha! Well, I guess I should have been a little more specific! I was looking for tying knots for jewelry purposes. The naughty kind of knot-tying can still be used--some of the knots they are tying do look very pretty! Thanks for the help ladies. I don't think my husband would be very happy if I asked, "Hey honey....I need to practice something on you!"

With all the youtube tutorials, I could make garb from rope---at least the corset and gauntlets.  :D

Oh and Gwen your art is beautiful!

mieljolie

I think you'll get a lot of useful knots from youtube. They cover many basics.  I didn't see anything spectacular as far as designs, though.  The "coin" knots look nice.  If you are wanting to create something more complex for a jewelry piece, you'll probably have to draw it out, first.  That or just keep tinkering 'til you come up with something.

A rope corset sounds cool!  We did see a couple at TRF who attempted something like that.  :)

I found one that if made much larger looks to have potential as a corset front.  Hmmm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ1VcHqmqeM

Deckard And Zhora

That's a cool knot---looks like it'd make a good bikini top or a nice ropey codpiece!  ::)

I used the coin knot and the button knots to make a bracelet that my husband has already "claimed" and is wearing right now. I had some pretty big beads I had no use for and they fit nicely into the piece. I should take a picture!

The guy was right about buying that kind of cord in a craft shop--I raided Hobby Lobby and the only kind of waxed linen they had was REALLY thin, so I think I'll be getting some online.

I'm obsessed now!  ;D

Deckard And Zhora

And I think I figured out my problem--I believe he acutally used waxed COTTON which comes in 1 and 2mm sizes, unlike linen which comes in .4 and .7mm thickness.

I'm gonna have cord coming out of my wazoo!

mieljolie

I know how that goes.  I couldn't find anything suitable in our stores.  I bought some so called round leather cord when I was making a necklace for the coins.  It didn't work at all.  The coating on it started peeling off.  I did steal the shoelaces off Samedi's old dress shoes that worked nice, but too short.  I've got some hemp cord from another project that might work well to practice with.  I'll see. 

I really like the cotton cord he used at the faire.  It has a nice texture and stiffness that holds it's shape well.  Maybe we could go in together on a spool of it.

Deckard And Zhora

It was really cheap--I found a smaller amount of it at Fire Mountain Beads and a 25meter spool was under $4. They did have shipping and handling, but I got 3 spools (black, brown and blue) for about $16.

I guess I'll find out if I got the right thing by the middle of next week! I could always unroll some for you and send it through the mail!

:D