News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

(moved) Holly, MI "Dickens Festival" in November

Started by shadowcat546, November 06, 2009, 03:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowcat546

< < moved, this is more relevant spot >>

Have any of you seen /already know about this (here in south eastern Michigan) ?

Holly,  MIchigan,  Dickens Festival.  They have a costume content too.
http://www.dickensfestivalholly.org/THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF THE HOLLY DICKENS FESTIVAL
Source: www.dickensfestivalholly.org

Get all of the info about the 31st

The above info was copied from my friends' post on Facebook.  If I can put on enough layers /Thermacare heat wraps, maybe I'll go.
What about you all?
Shannon, ..The Colonial Peddler --see Webshots shadowcat546 (so.-east Mich.) Goods for Sale

Poldugarian Warrior

I've read and heard about the festival for a few years now, never attended and haven't really seen any reviews about it, maybe this year. The only reason I know about it is because the Detroit train club meets up there at the old Holly theater and they open it a few times a year to the public so evryone can view the layout. I went once and it is a cool layout. I mean traines evrywhere. But, the festival sound fun. And in fact, I have a suitable costume, for that period so I was thinkin of just attending for that. The cool hing is the outfit also fits late renaissance. It's a Half-Moon coat, and I wear a top hat with it, very 19th Century. looking.

Eric of Lyon

It's a nice little festival. Village closes a couple streets downtown for it. The players are good. They put on a comical story of Scrooge in several acts, bringing in spectators from the audience to play some of the roles throughout the day in the street.  Dickens characters mill about the town and often run in and out of the shops, interacting with shop owners and customers.  (Scrooge ran into one shop while we were there demanding his rent.)  There is a Victorian choir that sings Christmas music.  Vendors on the street roasting chestnuts and selling food.  Warming fires are about.  Punch and Judy puppet show for the kids.  A Victorian Santa Clause.  Horse & buggy rides (costs $ for this). Victorian style games for the kids.  Our family tries to go every year.  Nice way to get in the Christmas spirit, and get away from the chaos that tends to surround the holidays.

Fare thee Well.
-Eric of Lyon

Poldugarian Warrior

Sounds like, fun for my family and myself, but for eryone else in mine, they may find it dull.  I think it'd be cool to see the whole story played out live, and a real city set. They didn't even like the Greenfield Village Christmas saying it was too cold, and the decorations weren't extravagant enough. But, I tried to remind them it was the Victorian Era, and Christmas just wasn't what it was like today. Many of the interpreters even stated that during the Colonial and just a little time after the American Civil War Christmas was a strictly religious holiday you would go to church, maybe visit family, but there were no big parties, gifts, or revelry as we know it today. Our celebrations now mimic more of the pre-Reformation, maybe even Roman Saturnalia to medieval to Renaissance age when the Catholic church ruled evrythin and still allowed evryone to party, they saw it as if the peasants are happy and our pockets are lined with their gold and they aren't causing too much trouble let them have their fun. But, I may look into it myself, thanks for the info. Eric.

Jon Foster

We haven't been to the Holly festival in years but it's a nice time. You just need to dress warm!

Jon.

Thumper

Is this an all outdoor event?  Basically curious if it would be ok to take my dog.  Not all day of course, with the cold, but would she be able to come for a little while?