News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Musical instruments and cases

Started by Prof. John Bull, November 08, 2009, 05:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prof. John Bull

What do those of you who play a musical instrument do to keep it safe between performances?  My silver-colored carbon fiber fiddle case is probably about as blatant an anachronism as one could possibly carry, and I'm trying to decide whether to wrap it in something or just carry the fiddle without a case.

On a related note, do you take your best instrument to fest or do you have a crap instrument you use due to the risk of damage?

Celtic_Fae

A friend of mine had a major disaster with her instrument due to not properly using the case due to it being anachronistic. Luckily, their was an instrument place nearby that was able to fix it the same day. It's worth the anachronism to protect your instrument. Faire is a harsh venue to play at and you want all the protection you can get, historically-accurate be "darned".

Terry Griffith

I typically use 2 Martins at faire.  One is a D-35 and the other is a D12-35.  The 6 string is only about 5 years old (the original finally folded thanks to airlines breaking the head twice and it was in a hardshell case) and the 12 string I bought new in 1968.  They are as much a part of me as any part of my body and mean just as much.  However, I wouldn't dream of not using them several nights a month at gigs and every weekend at faires unless it is pouring rain.  Then I use a cheaper Epiphone as a rain guitar.

Protecting them has always been a concern.  Since I carry two guitars everywhere, the 12 is in a hardshell case and the 6 I carry in a very sturdy gig bag that I sling over one shoulder.  That way I still have a hand free.

My favorite gig bag is reinforced with plywood but is still a canvas bag with a handle and a sling on the back and a sizable pocket on the front.  After several years of abuse at faire, the gig bag was falling apart.  The stress of the sling strap on the canvas eventually ripped and the plywood reinforcement was sliding out the bottom.  I finally bought a new one and stowed the old one away in the attic.  Last season, I got an idea that, with very little investment and a couple of days work (and a lot of swearing) I turned the old gig bag into a period looking but very protective case.  I hope the pictures do it justice.

After regluing the plywood and repairing the torn canvas, the case was covered with a large piece of brocade fabric.  I didn't want to just cover it but make it look like a large bag that you would imagine an instrument being carried in during the renaissance.  With all the research done and pictures of original instruments, I have never seen a picture of a period instrument case so accuracy was more a thing of imagination.

The case was laid onto the fabric and then the fabric was folded over the top of the case.  The bottom was form fitted to allow the zipper to operate but it was hidden by over lapping the fabric.  It was a combination of hand sewing with a big weed puller needle and gluing.  The top was left square to give the bag effect and closed with grommets and  the opening side was closed with strips of Velcro.  The pocket on the front was preserved by cutting a large slit and hemming it and then sewing a flap over it.  The sling on the back was made work by cutting slits to allow the tab with the D ring poke through and covering the strap with the same material.  It's hard to see in pictures because it matches so well.  The handle can be used or left inside the fabric.

Now my 6 string is protected and it looks period and I'm using the gig bag that I thought was lost forever.

"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

Terry Griffith

That was supposed to be a "big a**" needle and the censorship function changed it to a "big weed puller" needle.  lol.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

Prof. John Bull

Thank you both for the stories and advice.

Terry, the photos are inspiring.  I've been thinking of making some sort of fabric or leather cover for the case I already have, and that helps fill out my vision.

The problem with h/c cases is that to the extent they existed at all (rather than ordinary chests with ersatz padding added) they were big, heavy, ugly, and only marginally adapted to the particular purpose of protecting instruments.

Queen Maggie

I friend of mine who's done a lot of musical and other faire performing makes custom carry bags for instruments. She has a decent website that shows some of the more common styles.
http://www.fiddlybags.com/Scripts/default.asp

I don't do music, but many friends do: they keep extra instruments for rain days and days when the humidity, heat, or cold would damage their instruments.
Queen Maggie
wench#617, Bard #013
aka Mistress Mannerly, Goodlief Bailey, Cousin Undine Mannerly, Mother Lowe

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

Sorry, but I dont care how un-H/A my case is.  Fair is harsh, as has been said.  Unless the HA police are buying me a new fiddle when mine gets squashed, soaked, cracked or frozen from being at faire, I will just keep it in something that will protect it. 

Hey, why not paint the outside with one o' them woodfinsihing kits at Homedepot.  Make it look like its carved from wood.  Or take it to a bike customizer and have it covered in "Real-Flame" !
If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724

Pascal

vinceconaway

I'm a bit old-school, and not a fan of seeing modern cases out on the streets at faire.  I understand it, but I think it looks tacky.

The idea of disguising a case with cloth is a very good one, and many faires have a secure location where you can leave your instrument when you're not playing.  By bringing the cased instrument onto site before opening and leaving with the case after closing you can just leave the instrument backstage when you're not playing.  When this isn't an option, making friends with a few booth owners can provide a few necessary square feet.  Security is an important consideration, and I've known several musicians who've had their instruments stolen while leaving them haphazardly backstage.

Personally, I get around the issue by playing pretty much continually :)