News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

fur trim leather cap

Started by daggrim, November 12, 2009, 02:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daggrim

I'm planning to make a four panel leather Viking cap with fur trim around the lower edge, but I'm not sure of the best way to hand stitch on the fur.  Should I roll the edges under, to give a full look?  Do I roll the fur around the bottom of the cap, so some of it is inside?  Do I sew the top edge or the bottom edge first?  I currently make heavy leather spangenhelms, but this soft cap has got me in a corner.
Daggrim
A merry heart has a continual feast.

Hoowil

Years ago, I had a four panel sheepskin hat, the fleece went all the way up on the inside. The one I had was more of a mongolian/eastern style, with the top tips of the panels turned out, but I can't see that the norse style ones would be any different. Figure the things were made to be warm, so the fur would most likley go as high up as possible inside. But on that same note, you may want to just have a band of fur that turns up a little into to hat, so you don't have to worry about over heating. If you have furs of hides to play with (possibly waste) or want to do a faux fur mock-up, try a few different things, and see what works best for you. if you do, just keep in mind, faux fur acts a little different from just about anything else.

Regardless, I'd love to see the final hat, and any in progress pics you can get up, as I've been thinking of trying different types of hats for myself.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

daggrim

A merry heart has a continual feast.