News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

*gasp* zippers...and reversible sleeves!

Started by VintageJen1984, November 17, 2009, 10:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VintageJen1984

Quote from: Elennare on November 18, 2009, 12:10:38 PM
Another suggestion, if you decide to go w/lacing rings and can't find "lacing rings" anywhere:  buy a bunch of the smaller hook-and-eye fasteners, and just use the eye.  Sew them up either side of the opening, and lace through them, just like they were lacing rings.  I did that for a pair of boot covers, and it worked wonderfully.
That is a fantastic idea! It's not that I am averse to lacing, and I really didn't *want* to have a zipper. I just had a really bad experience with grommets my first time around. I've gone ahead and bought some, and there's three extra than what I need. I'm going to try them on a scrap piece of fabric, and if it works, I'll use them. If not, I'll buy some hook-and-eyes and do this! Thanks *so much* for this suggestion!

VintageJen1984

Quote from: ArielCallista on November 17, 2009, 06:16:13 PM
If I were doing it I would definitely do eyelets or grommets over a zipper. It depends on your and your talents but zippers can be problematic...also it has to fit perfect...eyelets/grommets will give you a bit of leeway with sizing...As for the detachable/reversable sleeve you could get snaps...and make it snap into place on the underside of the armband thing...youd have the "male" side of the snap on the inside of the armband and then have "female" snaps on both sides of the sleeve at the same spacing...and then just snap the sleeves into place before getting dressed...
I installed a zipper on my very first dress, no problem. But I really did want grommets, I just had a really bad experience with them. I like the idea of the snaps. I've also considered hook-and-eyes as well. One of the two fabrics I have is sort of heavy, though and I'm worried about whether snaps or hooks would hold. I'll have to think about it some more.

ArielCallista

haha I had the exact opposite situation. I can put in zippers but they always look bad or come apart or something and I got grommets and eyelets down pretty well. as for snaps holding up the sleeves, you can get really large ones from hobby lobby that are about the size of a quarter and they're super sturdy so they should be able to hold up the weight of the sleeve even with heavy fabric
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

Kate XXXXXX

What has been done in the past for a gown like this is to make the back lacing and close it permanently, and then have a zip in the side under the arm for ease of access.  Done with a concealed zip, this works very well.

However, if you want to avoid putting the eyelets in altogether, make up the back opening, leaving off the eyelets, and stick a zip in there instead.  Because of the way the back opens (if I recall correctly), you may want to install a separating zip.