News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Ren Faire History Snobs

Started by Valiss, July 20, 2010, 11:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valiss

I'm not sure why "Theme Park" would somehow exclude being Historically Accurate. Perhaps each faire is different, but I can assure you that many claim to be not simply entertainment, but accurate representations of the time period. For example, here is the little blurb from the SLO Faire website:

"The Central Coast Renaissance Festival is produced by History Revisited, a non-profit corporation founded in September, 1992 for the purpose of re-enacting historical time periods for the education and entertainment of the public."

And there are plenty of non-HA people at that faire.

It certianly sounds like to me that they are trying to be historically accurate, while also being entertaining; at least to some degree. And I know I've seen plenty of actors wearing non-period stuff too. I bet many faires say something similar to this and either don't enforce it, dont care, or the majority of the patrons just dont relize it. Or maybe they all started off as HA and slowly slid down to fantasy. So long as the dollars are flowing through the gate, maybe some of the faires dont care. I certainly don't mind fantasty stuff at some faires, but it seems to be that if you are going to say you are HA, then you should at least try to be HA. There are entire Fantasy Faires just for all the vampires and fairys to attend.

Kate

None of us were there so how can we prove there WEREN'T Storm Troopers?  DaVinci had some pretty ridiculous inventions.  I think I'll start a movement suggesting HE created the Death Star....
Kate
Pink'n Penny

Noble Dreg

Quote from: Valiss on July 26, 2010, 10:16:45 AM
...Or maybe they all started off as HA and slowly slid down to fantasy...

Can't say I consider it a "slide down".  I believe it was not your intent but this is the attitude groups like the SCA take, and the reason terms like "Garb Nazi" and "History Snob" get tossed about.  Seems those who want HA look down on those who don't.  You will never find me at an SCA event* commenting on attendees lack of imagination.

Balance with all things in life is certainly the key.  Great sites in the original post, lot's of info!

* I guess I just could have stopped there.   ;D
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Master James

Well as far as to HA, that is ALWAYS open to interpretation.  We at the Virginia Renaissance Faire try to be as close as we can as far as the personalities and garb goes, especially in court.  Now does that mean we hand stitch everything as some people advocate?  Absolutely not.  We want to present something that is as HA in style and look as possible, not actual fabric and construction.  And please remember on this, this is for the cast ONLY.  We could care less what the patrons do.  If they want to be stormtroopers, I say go for it as long as they show up and enjoy our faire.  I think this is what most of the people on there are talking about is cast and not patrons.  I don't think anyone is saying that everyone including the patrons should be HA because that is just plain stupid for a faire.  If it was a historical reenactment, then that would be a different story.  You wouldn't want to see a stormtrooper running the streets of Williamsburg as it would remove something from the reenactments.  Fortunately, faires are not reenactments so anything goes for the patrons.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: Noble Dreg on July 24, 2010, 02:16:22 PM
Quote from: Fraser of Lovatt on July 20, 2010, 01:31:26 PM
...the guy in SS regalia...

Now that is a true "Garb Nazi"!

And completely sick...by no stretch of any imagination, innappropriate and distasteful.  Stunned management at TRF is THAT open.

Oh, it disgusted quite a few people... one to the point that he had to be restrained from a confrontation with the small minded twit.  The person was a patron... paid his money and walked inside.  Now, i'm not sure if he came through the gates with his brown shirt, red armband & jack boots...
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Valiss

Quote from: Noble Dreg on July 26, 2010, 12:31:48 PM
...Or maybe they all started off as HA and slowly slid down to fantasy...

Can't say I consider it a "slide down". I believe it was not your intent but this is the attitude groups like the SCA take, and the reason terms like "Garb Nazi" and "History Snob" get tossed about. Seems those who want HA look down on those who don't. You will never find me at an SCA event* commenting on attendees lack of imagination.

Balance with all things in life is certainly the key. Great sites in the original post, lot's of info!

* I guess I just could have stopped there. ;D

I have no problem with fantasy at all; I just started a topic to get us to think about what we are suppose to be representing at faire. And like someone else pointed out, the rules are different from actors vs patrons and from faire to faire. From my experience, despite claims to the counter, I have yet to see any SCA event that was HA, at least in terms of garb, but I'm no expert. But those I have chatted with that proclaim to be HA authorities have also stated that what SCA does has little to do with actual HA. But that's another matter for someone more experienced on the subject than I.

Personally, I think there is room to be authentic and have a good time, and if your faire states they are trying to recreate a specific time and place in history, then they should strive to do so as best as possible.

crashbot

My cousin worked at Ferrycarrig National Heritage Park, back in Wexford.  It is a living history park, you pay a fee, go in, and see ancient Ireland. There are no shops, no booze, no singing ladies with lots'o cleavage. Its purely educational.  HA is very important to these folks and for good reason, it is a window to the past. It was not only a hobby, but a job.

I've only been to two American faires regularly and noticed they have a decidedly different atmosphere. They encourage people to "step back" into mix history and fantasy, dress up, shop, watch shows, and most of all have fun.  I don't see an issue with that at all. However, storm troopers, KISS, steampunks, and Hitler-Jugend are seriously pushing it, imo. I think anything from d&d style fantasy, to late antiquity up to very early colonial are good.

I like to play Viking. It's not "period" and I am not 100% HA, but that's what I like to do.

Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices. - Voltaire

Taffy Saltwater

While I "get" that performers/employees of the faire have certain expectations that they must meet, I as a patron will wear what I am most happy in.  While I have always gone in some kind of garb (and some were better executed than others), none of it could ever be considered HA, from the time period (wenchy/Golden Age of Pirates/neo-Victorian) to the fabric (cotton blend/upholstery mystery blends) to the finishing (hand sewing? HA!).  What I do is make a HUGE effort at wearing the best garb I can for my choice that day and put a lot of work into it.
Sveethot!

SandrineDeLaTombe

I've only been to one faire (my home fair of Scarborough), so I can't speak to its level of HA compared to other faires. I am not truly HA, but I do think certain things flat out don't belong at the ren faire. I was amused by the group coming dressed as various incarnations of Doctor Who this season, but I freely admit at being annoyed by the various levels of steampunk items people wear and garbed people walking around with the bluetooth doohickey in their ear the ENTIRE day. Do I say anything to these people? Of course not, as long as they're wearing what they want and are having fun, it's all good. But I always get that twinge of annoyance when what someone's wearing is about 200-300 years off historically.

(Ugh, that all really sounds worse than I mean it to be.  :( )
I aim to misbehave

Valiss

Quote from: Taffy Saltwater on July 27, 2010, 12:39:03 PM
While I "get" that performers/employees of the faire have certain expectations that they must meet, I as a patron will wear what I am most happy in. While I have always gone in some kind of garb (and some were better executed than others), none of it could ever be considered HA, from the time period (wenchy/Golden Age of Pirates/neo-Victorian) to the fabric (cotton blend/upholstery mystery blends) to the finishing (hand sewing? HA!). What I do is make a HUGE effort at wearing the best garb I can for my choice that day and put a lot of work into it.

Yeah I'm mostly talking about actors who work there. Paying customers can do whatever they like, though it would be nice if they tried to go with the time peroid if they choose to dress up. But if you work on cast that is supposed to represent 1588, then you should look 1588 appropiate in my opinion.

midnightferret

I'm not sure why "Theme Park" would somehow exclude being Historically Accurate...

It certianly sounds like to me that they are trying to be historically accurate, while also being entertaining; at least to some degree.....

There are entire Fantasy Faires just for all the vampires and fairys to attend.

No, it shouldn't *exclude* HA -- sorry for the confusion. But it does mean that for the price of admission, *anyone* can enter and spend his or her money without being HA all the way or even some of the way. Sure, the cast and other workers should conform to certain standards, but, well, Faires are a business. For example: Kids like fairies, so a lot of Faires will hire some fairies. This keeps the parents inside spending money. They usually still have HA demonstrations and garbed performers, too. If it were a "re-enactment" and not a "festival/faire" then hopefully it would be more strict with who works there and what they do.

Also, if someone wants to be a 14th Century archer at a Tudor Faire, they can do so for the price of admission. The Faire will take his or her money, of course! Telling someone they can't dress up as a fairy and pay to go into a Ren Faire is like telling me I can't shop at a certain store or go to a certain bar unless I wear a certain outfit. As long as I'm wearing clothes that don't expose me within legal limits, I should be able to spend my money wherever I want. I'm not saying you don't have a point, but I don't think Faires should or would "censor" who can pay and spend money inside the gates. You don't open a business and then limit who can patronize it if you want to make money.

Valiss

Quote from: midnightferret on July 27, 2010, 02:13:41 PM
I'm not sure why "Theme Park" would somehow exclude being Historically Accurate...

It certianly sounds like to me that they are trying to be historically accurate, while also being entertaining; at least to some degree.....

There are entire Fantasy Faires just for all the vampires and fairys to attend.

No, it shouldn't *exclude* HA -- sorry for the confusion. But it does mean that for the price of admission, *anyone* can enter and spend his or her money without being HA all the way or even some of the way. Sure, the cast and other workers should conform to certain standards, but, well, Faires are a business. For example: Kids like fairies, so a lot of Faires will hire some fairies. This keeps the parents inside spending money. They usually still have HA demonstrations and garbed performers, too. If it were a "re-enactment" and not a "festival/faire" then hopefully it would be more strict with who works there and what they do.

Also, if someone wants to be a 14th Century archer at a Tudor Faire, they can do so for the price of admission. The Faire will take his or her money, of course! Telling someone they can't dress up as a fairy and pay to go into a Ren Faire is like telling me I can't shop at a certain store or go to a certain bar unless I wear a certain outfit. As long as I'm wearing clothes that don't expose me within legal limits, I should be able to spend my money wherever I want. I'm not saying you don't have a point, but I don't think Faires should or would "censor" who can pay and spend money inside the gates. You don't open a business and then limit who can patronize it if you want to make money.

Indeed. As I mentioned before, if you're a paying cusomter, do whatever you want. I'm more refering to us cast/guilds/actors. Sorry for the confusion if I didnt make that clear.