News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Shoulder puppet-like-thingamabob

Started by Becky10, September 15, 2010, 06:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Becky10

So a while back i was sick and had nothing better to do so i pulled out the fimo and started sculpting a bit of it and ended up making a head, then some legs and never attached the two. So i figured i can take these and make like a shoulder "puppet" decoration thing but i have no idea how. The fimo has been baked but i left holes in it so wire could be attached but as far as neck/body/ect. i have no idea on what to do. I bought some air drying clay from crayola (fimo cost waaay too much to be making a body out of it) so i was thinking i could sculpt a body.

OR i could make a wire neck and wrap it with a felt then a feather boa and either sculpt a body or just use a block and cover it. The head could be positioned and move if i did it this way but i dont know how hard it would be.

OR i can kill a beanie baby and use its innards to make a body which i am not really to keen on but if it works it works.

BUT i was wondering if anyone has tried to make something like this before and if they can offer any tips?

Heres pictures of what i have thus far,

This is the head i put a rubber band through the hole so you can see where its at

Head on its side and legs

back of leg and hole where its flat

sidet of leg, you can see how it bends down

I really like this and i am hoping i can figure out something to do with it.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Becky10

Well i made a wire next structure and then i broke part of the head. I am baking some new fimo parts and am going to try to glu to together, wish me luck!

NoBill Lurker

So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

LadyFae

Oh no!  Broken pieces are no good!  Best of luck on the fixing process!  =)
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Lady Christina de Pond

this reminds me of my shoulder puppet that i got my first ren fest.
fantasypuppet.com
maybe you can borrow some ideas from here i know my unicorn moves his head up and down and from side to side
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Becky10

Okay so he is all glued back together! ( Has i expressed my deep love for super glue?!)
So i made a "neck" out of wire that i soldered together and it allows his head to move up and down, i would love to have a wire running through so i could move him left and right and up and down but well have to see how  up to the challenge i am  ;).  I dont think I could get him left and right based on how i put it together and i cant wrap my brain around it so up and down will do. I still have no idea what to do with the base but at least i am making progress!

I have been thinking about doing the beanie body then i can pull a wire through and attach the legs and they would be semi posable  but i am thinking it wouldn't give enough structural support and would topple over...

Lady Christina could you tell me what your shoulders puppets body feels like?