News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

LARP Groups in southeast Michigan, I'm from Southgate, east of Taylor.

Started by Poldugarian Warrior, November 17, 2009, 02:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poldugarian Warrior

My brother was riding down Allen Rd. one day, past Champaign Park, in the city of Allen Park and he saw a group of people, running towards each other with plastic/latex swords/shields and dressed in garb, and he said it looked like fun. He said it looked like a melee battle. I thought it be cool if it was just like a group that met up once a week or whenever possible and just had a battle, maybe even a tournament. I'd like to get in on it. Any information on this group or any others out there would be much appreciated. Then again, it could've just been a bunch of kids that got the weapons, and picked a day after school, hopefully after their homework was done and went to battle. I remember those days. But, we fought with sticks. So if anyone know about this particular place and group or any other, any information would be much appreciated.

RSLeask

I've been out of the area a little while, but it wouldn't surprise me.  Though I know southeastern Michigan is more famous for the V:TM LARPs than anything else, it wouldn't shock me that there are some organized AD&D-esque LARP groups around.  When I do happen to come home, I wouldn't at all mind to hear that there's something akin to the group out in eastern Pennsylvania, which operates on BSoA/GSoA camp grounds and runs a full weekend gaming session one weekend a month, with a more tabletop-like "session" between, every quarter.  Kind of more a planning phase for people that really want to be involved, from what I gathered.

I'll ask around to some friends that are still back in the area, though, see if I can turn something up for you.  If there's something going on like that, they'd most likely at least know about it.
What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?

Poldugarian Warrior

Cool, thanks. I'm probably a lot older than most of the participants, but hey it looks like fun at any age.

Margaret

Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

LadyAnn

I've never heard of them before, and it sounds like a lot of fun.
"Castleteer"
"Buccaneer Anne Campbell"  ~ "Sailing Master of the Relentless"
"Stitch'n M'Crack"

serenamoonsilver

I know there is a large group here in Monroe that practices on weekends in Munson Park but don't know much beyond that.

Cateyes

Apparently you can't just join Kanar.  You have to have a sponsor and know someone in it.  That sucks.

Black Armor

Check out www.finalhavenlarp.com.  I checked out one of their events several years ago and they were all very friendly and helpful.  Everyone is welcome.  I just went the one time but kept in contact with a few of the people I met for a couple years afterward through their website.  Very nice people.

Poldugarian Warrior

Thanks for all the links. I'm looking for a group closer to my home, but hey if it's just on the weekends, maybe it's worth the voyage.

Black Armor

PW, I forgot, a couple of years ago there was a LARP group handing out flyers at the faire.  I just came across the flyer today as I was sorting through a pile of faire-related business cards and junk I had accumulated.  I have never checked it out but the website is www.caducus.com and their telephone number is 248-207-0173.  The flyer is dated 2007 so I don't know if this info is still any good.

Aunty Lou

a bit further south, around Dayton, OH, there's a LARP called Triumph.  "Put Down the Dice and Get in The Game!"  They meet once a month at a county park, some overnights, a feast or two a year...  They have a great deal of fun, all ages, all levels of garb & weaponry, players from 3 or 4 states.  Check them, too.

Poldugarian Warrior

Thanks again that one based out of South Lyon and doing battle out in Chelsea seems to be fitting to my situation. Dayton is quite a drive.

Cateyes

Frankenmuth by Night is starting this Friday but it's a Vampire LARP.

Poldugarian Warrior

Not too big a fan of the Vampire stuff, I mean the legend is cool, and Vlad Tepes one of the best warrior kings of all time. Just the whole dressing up and acting like one not for me. But, to each his/her own. It's cool.