News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

shoe insoles

Started by Auryn, May 02, 2011, 11:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auryn

I figured if anyone would know it would be our seasoned rennies.

I need to get several new sets of insoles for my garb shoes.
They are all boots, two are flat and one has a 3 inch wedge heel.
I will be walking in these things for 10+ hrs.

I normally use Dr. Scholls for my volleyball shoes and my regular boots.
Do you have any suggestions for a- where to get dr. scholls at a better price than amazon and/or B- can you reccomend a better brand of insole??/

Keep in mind I wear a women's 11 so I usually end up buying the mens 8-13 size insoles and trim them down.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Syrilla

For faire shoes, I love 3min miracles.  They are cheaper and seem to last longer than the Dr.

Devangelon

I went to the Good Feet Store. I'm not sure if you have one near you. The insoles are a bit pricey, but they last a long time. I love mine!

Delireus

On a similar note, does anyone know where to get a men's size 15 shoe gel insert?
- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is

NoBill Lurker

Quote from: Delireus on May 02, 2011, 06:30:32 PM
On a similar note, does anyone know where to get a men's size 15 shoe gel insert?

According to their web site, they only go up to a men's size 13...
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

Adriana Rose

DO it your feet will thank you!

I had tried the Dr.scholls blue squish ones and they die way too fast. I found some that are pink and yellow that go to just before my toes and they are the best I have ever used ( I cant remember the brand) I found them in the shoe section at Wal Mart .

Cofeeguru

Quote from: Delireus on May 02, 2011, 06:30:32 PM

Hey Del, it looks like Amazon carries bigger sizes http://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-Stability-Womens-Insoles/dp/B004C1ATH2
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons;"-T.S. Eliot, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

EmbyrretheFae

Heres a trade secret of mine when it comes to insoles...

Dont buy the Dr Scholes, etc (unless you know they work for you).

As Embyrre, I wear close to 80 lbs of garb.  After 10 hours in that getup ones feet can hurt pretty bad.  I was given a tip from the Owner of the Mythical Monster Museum some years ago.

Buy yourself a chunk of solid anti-fatigue mat (all you need is a 2'x2' section), trace your feet, cut out and put into your footwear.  I've been using the same insoles in Embyrres footwear for 4 years now and they are still goling strong.  No collapsing, no wearing out and they make you feel like you are walking on air.
  Buy a can of spray adhesive to keep them anchored into the bottom without slippage too.
You can buy the mat at any Lowe's or Home Depot and its really cheap!.  Remember to buy the solid mat, not the vented. 

I dont think you will be disappointed.  Oh and if you still have any doubts, I use this stuff in my mocassins as Two Hawks as well.  Even the stones on the roads dont hurt my feet through Mocs with these in them.

Your mileage may still vary though.

Hope this helps
"Because I can" ;)

Auryn

thanks for the tip EmbyrretheFae
pray tell what is 'anti fatigue' mat?
is that like the memory foam sheets they sell for mattreses? or is that the mats they put on the floor for ppl that stand at work stations all day??
In either case, isn't that stuff rather thick??
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

EmbyrretheFae

Anti-fatigue mat is the heavy thick rubber padding used in hardware stores, behind cash registers, or any place where someone may have to stand for a long time or the floor may need to be protected.  When you go to the hardware stores that sell it, just ask... they will know what you are talking about.

Its light gray, smooth on one side and thin ridges on the other, and they will have a huge roll to cut a piece off for you.
"Because I can" ;)

DonaCatalina

Quote from: EmbyrretheFae on May 05, 2011, 01:09:41 PM
Anti-fatigue mat is the heavy thick rubber padding used in hardware stores, behind cash registers, or any place where someone may have to stand for a long time or the floor may need to be protected.  When you go to the hardware stores that sell it, just ask... they will know what you are talking about.

Its light gray, smooth on one side and thin ridges on the other, and they will have a huge roll to cut a piece off for you.
Wow. I have to try this. Thanks for this suggestion.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

renfairephotog

Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Lady Kett

Thanks Embyrre! I have actually thought of that when I walk across those things but never had any idea what they were called or where to find them!

EmbyrretheFae

You are most welcome :)

As a side note to that, the mat usually comes in 75 foot roles, and its pretty cheap if bought as such, but I've only needed one pair of size 9 cutouts out of the two yards of the stuff I bought 5 years ago.  Thats how good the stuff holds up under constant walking.  I swear by it!!.  I trace my foot about a 1/4 inch larger than my actual size, that way the insold is nice and snug inside the shoe. 

When I first went to play Two Hawks at Scarby 5 years ago I had developed a heel spur, and for those of you who have/have had them they are seriously painful.  Especially if you have to wear Mocassins on gravel.  Our good Monster Hunter Magnus Krane who has had a Gazillion years working on his feet in the Haunt business suggested the idea to me.  Thus far it has been the BEST co-Actor advice I have ever been given.  He saved me a ton of pain with it.

One of my friends who is a really big guy, cuts out that and an additional heel piece for double thickness there and he has thanked me a thousand times because every insert/sole he paid a lot of money for failed.

Anyways, glad I could be of help.  pass it on :)
"Because I can" ;)

Cofeeguru

I'm definitely going to the hardware store today. . .I've got to try this stuff out! Thanks Embyrre!
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons;"-T.S. Eliot, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock