News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Looking to buy a sewing machine

Started by TheMightyMcClaw, July 22, 2010, 04:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMightyMcClaw

Hey there,
I've been into mailing for a couple years, and have since expanded into leatherworking and (most recently) sheet metal/plate work.
The obvious missing piece of my garbing resume is sewing. I have some basic sewing skills I've picked up here and there, but as is so often the case, what I lack are the tools.
The main thing is, I'd like something that can sew garment-grade leather. I've been working with heavier leather via rivets and whatnot for a while, but I'd like to able to make the occasional pair of gloves and whathaveyou. I am, of course, also looking to do traditional textiles and the like.
This is the part where I ask for recommendations on sewing machines and where to find them. I know heavy duty machines can get astronomically expensive, and ideally, I'd like to get something within the "several hundred bucks" price range. I've been looking around on eBay, but it's a bit of a jungle for someone who's not familiar with machines.

LadyStitch

Find a local sewing machine repair guy.  If I had the money at the time they had what he called a "pocket industrial" machine for like $300.  It was made to sew canvas, upolstry and light weight leathers.  Tell them what you are looking for and they can often find deals of used ones. That way you aren't taking chances at buying off ebay or a the local flea market (not that you won't find deals there, but you have to be wary.)

Oh one thing, just make sure you get leather needles when you sew.  I use regular weight thread when sewing the light weight leathers.  Other wise the thread seems to over power the leather. 

Otherwise, Good Luck!  ;D

It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

LadyShadow

I guess I'm kinda on the lucky side of this.  I have an old 19teen's Singer that is great for sewing light weight leather for clothing.  And I have a sewing machine thats about 5 yrs old, it was like $70 from Wal-Mart, its a Simplicity sewing machine, that also will sew leather.  I created this

on the Simplicity machine.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Maggiedoll

I've got a "Heavy Duty" Necchi (doesn't say anything on it about a model number-- just "heavy duty") that I got from used from a sewing machine dealer/repair place.. about six years ago.  It was $75.  I got curious as to what, exactly, it could sew through, and having accidentally received a bag of craft leather from FabricMart (I ordered an assortment of bra and camisole straps.. I received a bag of assorted leather.  They sent out the straps and told me to keep the leather) I figured leather would be a good test.  It sewed right through six layers.  When a Necchi says heavy duty, they're not kidding!  It's not one of the old Italian ones, though, it was made in Taiwan.  The serial number also seems strangely low, there were probably not many of them made, I've had trouble finding information on it.  (Of course, the fact that ALL Necchis end up being advertised as heavy duty doesn't help with the lack-of-information thing)
I also found a beautiful Necchi BC (straight stitch, Italian made) in a cabinet, on Craigslist for $25.  It still needs a new belt so I'm not sure about the full extent of what it can do..

Ideally, for canvas and leather, you'd want a walking foot machine, and that would end up getting expensive.  (An actual industrial walking foot machine, not a machine with a walking foot attachment) But if you're looking for does-it-well-for-awhile-while-you-get-your-feet-wet and versatile, rather than the ideal industrial machine, it shouldn't be expensive at all.  

Master James

My wife has an old cast iron Kenmoore machine that she uses leather needles on and has made several things on it for both her and me.  I have a fairely new Singer (don't remember the model number) but even though the case is plastic, the guts are all steel and I've made a few leather pouches and such on it with no problems.  Just need to use a leather needle is all.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51