News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Looking for some feasting gear

Started by Drac, September 14, 2011, 09:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drac

Good morrow y'all,

Looks like we have a dinner in the near future (January) where modern table ware is verboten.  So we have to aquire some drink ware, bowls, plates, spoons and some eating implement. 

Since I know forks were not period correct for Henry's time (came to Elizabeth's court) Amy and I have to figure out something else.  I can eat with a knife but Amy has the habit of biting her fork (the sound sends shivers up my spine when she does) so something with sharp edges might not be the best idea.  She's a lot better about it but I still don't want to take the chance.  I was thinking of maybe a long twisted spike?

Any recommondations for some good suppliers?  Also I have loops to carry the mugs but I'm drawing a blank on how to carry the plates, bowls and eating utensils.

Thanks,
Drac
I cook with a flair for the dramatic,
and depraved indifference to calories

Aiacha

Drac...

I have some wooden bowls I got at Ross or something which I love.  Look there...actually, I think Walmart has some similar bowls out now.

I carry my feastgear (when I need it) in a little basket.  Don't forget you might need your own placemat and/or napkin. 

Some places make noggins (bowls with handles) that have holes on the end for a loop.

I used to have lots of links but that was years ago.  Try ebay and search for feastgear (edit: search for feast gear [two words, not one]) and SCA.  Even if you don't buy from there you can get ideas.

BTW - if you are interested, I can lend you stuff.  I will be in New Jersey in October and can bring back the extra feastgear I keep there for Pennsic.

DonaCatalina

http://sowers-gifts.com/carson-statesmetal-danforth-design.html
http://sowers-gifts.com/qannedinner.html
http://sowers-gifts.com/queenpewsoup.html
We have the Danforth goblets
But I also have a complete set up Queen Anne statesmetal dinnerware.

The problem with wood is that unless it is clearcoated, it needs special care to be used with food and kept clean. Wooden plates or bowls that are not thoroughly cleaned can develope bacteria in the cracks.
Most wooden mugs that you see at fair have been clearcoated; but the wooden salad plates from the thrift store usually are not.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Rogue Hidesmith

If the wood bowl or dish is clean, you can use salad bowl finish to make it food-acceptable. Otherwise, I'd recommend sanding it down until you reach clean wood, then coat with the finish.

http://www.amazon.com/Behlen-Salad-Bowl-Finish/dp/B00075XMNK

Alternatively, if you're only planning on using the wooden gear on rare occasions, I'd recommend Enviro-tex.
If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603

Drac

How are these? 

They are from here late Grandmother.  A bit mismatch and needing cleaning.

Drac

Adriana Rose

A basket could work for carrying those. There are a ton of differnt sized baskets at craft stores.

Drac

You wouldn't know this but Amy and I worked in a Micheal's for both a second job and a temp job when we moved states.  Actually more like working to pay off our debts  ;D

We stacked more baskets than I ever want to see again.  That was back when Micheal's carried way more baskets, fish bowls (also the big Chinese ones) and even carried tons of fabric.  Over 15 years ago.

In seriousness though, Amy has been looking for the right one for carrying around the Fairs for a while to get rid of the shopping bags.  Kind of blow the whole persona thing.  I keep telling her she needs to go see the basket maker at the KC fair.  She made us a stair case basket years ago that was gorgous.  Either that or when we go back home and can visit the Amish shop the next town over from hers to get one there.  Until then she keeps looking.

I contacted one of my buddies that is a blacksmith.  He is going to make a decorative item like the hair spikes.  His friends like them for eating. 

I also am going to work on a sgain for a friend in trade for a drinking horn.  We already have a couple wooden mugs, just need to get some straps.

Drac

Lady Rebecca

Also, check Goodwill for baskets. They might not have as big a selection as Michaels, but the price is right. When I was in there today, they had almost half an aisle just for baskets.

Anna Iram

I'll second that. All thriftshops seem to have a ton of baskets. That's where I bought mine. I paid four dollars for it and it's sturdy and has a lid.

You  might also find some pewter ware at thrift shops. Never know.