News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

OMG THIS COLLAR ON THIS DRESS IS ELUDING ME....HELP!!

Started by Carpathian, June 22, 2012, 01:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carpathian

So I made this dress and the first time I put the collar together with piping in between the dress and facing it came out great...only it was to amish looking, so I took it back apart, recut the neckline and made a new facing and put the piping back in.  Now it keeps rolling towards the dress side.  And the iron tape only holds it so long.  Would it look stupid to sew another row of stiches below to try and pull it back towards the body?  Open to ideas...
If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!  :-)

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Carpathian

I will get some pictures taken tonight, I forgot this forum for sewing was here and didn't have those yet.... ;)

gem

LordPaulet

This is common on mens collars and suiting for men.  It can be cause by the simple way its sewn on the machine. It could be the interliner was pulled when sewn or the fabric was pulled up when sewing (interliner on bottom) or was pinned over the knee with fashion fabric on top.  You can hand sew this to ensure the roll you want or when sewing put fashion fabric on bottom anf inter liner on top.  Lift on fabric instead of flat feeding. This will ease the fashion fabric and cause a roll out. (or should in theory)

Carpathian

Quote from: LordPaulet on July 05, 2012, 08:45:11 PM
This is common on mens collars and suiting for men.  It can be cause by the simple way its sewn on the machine. It could be the interliner was pulled when sewn or the fabric was pulled up when sewing (interliner on bottom) or was pinned over the knee with fashion fabric on top.  You can hand sew this to ensure the roll you want or when sewing put fashion fabric on bottom anf inter liner on top.  Lift on fabric instead of flat feeding. This will ease the fashion fabric and cause a roll out. (or should in theory)
Ah, that might work!  My camera does not seem to be working very well for the dress but it is pattern 5189 Misses Dresses
Misses / Miss Petite Pullover Dress With Neckline Variations
I did letter B...here is a link to the pattern
http://www.simplicity.com/p-2213-missmiss-petite-dresses.aspx

Kate XXXXXX

I see no collar on that, only neckline variations...

You really need to sew a V neckline in two halves, starting at the back of the neck and stopping at the front.  And don't forget to stay-stitch it first - on both neck edge and facing!

isabelladangelo

What Kate said.

Plus, I wouldn't have used facing if you are going to use trim (piping) around the neckline.  I would have rolled the edges under and then stitched on the piping to the inside to hide the raw edges.  I'm guessing this dress is for work?

Kate XXXXXX

You actually get a much better finish if you sandwich the piping between the outer fabric and the lining.  To stop it rolling to the outside, you need to understitch it:  http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk/KatePages/Learning/Understitching/understitching_lesson.htm