News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Monopod/tripod

Started by SleepyArcher, October 14, 2008, 02:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleepyArcher

Hey I'm new to the whole big camera thing and have been looking for a nice tripod and monopod. Well I was picking up a new TV mount at Best Buy over the weekend and was walking by the camera stuff and I found a Monopod/tripod combo. Its made by SUNPAK. I dont know if thats a good company or not. the product seems very sturdy. I just love the fact it turns into a monopod and now I have the best of both worlds. Very "professional" looking  :P  ::) .
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

Jon Foster

I agree, go with something sturdy. I use a Slik Pro 700DX and love it. It's a bit on the heavy side but I can shoot in pretty much any conditions with it and it's rock solid.

Jon.

DeadBishop

We sell the Sunpak tri/monopods at the studio.  They seem sturdy enough, and it's pretty slick how the center column pulls out to become the monopod.  All have a quick release, which is a bonus too.  The only thing I don't like about the is the heads.  They're plastic, which can limit how much weight you put on them, and the fact that they all come with video heads.  That handle just seems to get in the way of everything when I shoot with those.

R/F.com member since 2003

Jon Foster

My Slik has the video head too but it's all metal. It took a while to get comfortable with it and I guess it's ok but I'd still like a decent ball head one of these days.

Jon.

AbleArcher

Well, since you just bought a new Sigma 70-200mm to go with your Rebel XTI, imagine the feeling you'd have when the plastic head gives way and your camera gear performs an unglorious dismount lens first into the ground.

Unsettling to say the least.

Now my question to you is, to what end will the tripod and monopod serve you?  Shooting landscapes, the tripod will be a great benefit...probably not so much for sports or at the faire.  Now, the monopod on the other had could be very useful, even at the faire, with your long lens.

I would reccomend something by Bogen/Manfrotto.  You can buy a nice monopod for about $55 and a tilting head for about $35 more.

I would advise against some of the cheaper alternatives.  Check your local Craigslist also for good deals on Bogen/Manfrotto stuff.

For a real eye-opener, read this: http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

-josh

Sicari

:D I just bought a new Bogen monopod for lighter weight and cause it was more compact than my Silk. That 70-200 can get heavy. Nice to sit at shows and have the extra support. I also bought a quick release head. The plate matches my Tripod head.

SleepyArcher

I sold the Sigma, not what I was looking for. I have a Tamron 28-300 now.

The handle is telescoping so it gets pretty small, took me awhile to figure that out but now its just like a regular handle or even smaller. It doe swivel and tilt. I have a regular camo tripod I use for archery, but I think I am going to be selling that one. The other nice thing I liked is it came with two quick disconnect plates. I cant wait to get out and take some pics now. This one is bulky but I think its one of the Sturdy one i have ever seen.  We will see. Im looking forward to taking some moon shots. 
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.