News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Scruffy up fabric

Started by Marietta Graziella, August 19, 2009, 09:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinobabe

Quote from: Kate XXXXXX on August 25, 2009, 02:49:28 PM
Nope - not for public consumption, at the client's request.  Sorry.   :(

:'(
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Pirateleach

a friend recently asked me to help him make a dirty pirate look. so i told him to put on some of his pirate gear , lay in the front yard and let me stomp on him for three hours.......he said no :-\
Barkeep, Tavern on the Hill
Newcastle
Come have a Shandy from Andy

Mythrin

A cheese grater is your friend when distressing, I agree that it must be applied to areas that would be subject to wear on a garment - not just randomly.  Mineral oil also works to make things greasy because it will not go rancid, like where you might wipe your hands on thighs or around the collar.  Put heavy rocks in the pockets of coats when they are wet and allow the rocks to distort the pocket's shape when drying.  You can also knock the color down with a very light bleaching.  However, you MUST experiment first with scraps and check both bleach concentration and time in the wash to get it where you want.  I have mixed both bleaching and dying to get the transition of color I wanted.  I like to hang the garment on the line and use spray bottles of dye to give it a more natural look because I can control the placement of the dye.

For my pirate garb, I tore up my shirt cuffs and after washing it, I hang it on the line and use home made walnut dye in a spray bottle from the elbow down on the sleeves.  The color tends to settle into folds and gravity draws it down the sleeve and because the shirt is wet it tends to move via osmosis and looks good.  It looks like they have been drug through tar.  I soak walnuts in the husks for a week or better to get the dye.  I dilute it a bit and just repeat after each washing and it gets darker each washing.  It is kind of fun to have a slightly different shirt each time.
Chris
Founding member of the Living History Company

"go Secret Squirrels"