News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Looking for a long line bodice pattern

Started by Adriana Rose, June 15, 2010, 07:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriana Rose

I have been hunting for a long line bodice pattern for a while. I am horrid at drafting patterns so does any one of you fantastic seamstresses have one that you like to use?

gem

I'm not sure what you mean by longline. Do you mean over-the-hip like a Victorian corset? Do you mean "longer in the torso to fit a Tall?" Or something else?

Lady Caroline

I'm curious too, as I often fall into the category where I have to lengthen all the torso patterns, since I am tall.....

Adriana Rose

Sorry I should have clarified. I am looking for a front lacing bodice pattern that goes to the hips. I have some extra fluff from having a baby and the other patterns that I have found and used seems to squish it all in the wrong direction and my mum has a very long torso too.

soo any ideas now its kinda clearer lol

gem

Hmm, well, probably none of these is going to be perfect without some tweaking, but maybe as a starting point?

Butterick 4254 (18th C. stays): This might be a good starting place, if you can picture it in a more decorative fabric.

Simplicity 2757 (Arkivestry Steampunk ensemble) Appears to extend below the natural waist (because it has a visible nip at the waist in the line drawing).

Simplicity 3629 (costume party pirate costume) At first glance, this looks *very* odd, but on closer inspection, it appears at least somewhat similar to those Damsel in this Dress bodices that go down over the hips (but without the unflattering underbust style).

McCall's 6097 (the strange new 18th centuryesque gown). Ok, bear with me on this one, since it's not front-lacing, but it definitely goes past the hips, and lacing is pretty easy to move around (once you deal with the stomacher panel).

Now, this said, every commercial pattern should have lengthen lines for the torso, that will allow you to keep the line/silhouette of the garment but lengthen it for a longer torso. Also, Simplicity 2621 (their mostly H/A 16th c. corset) extends quite far down below the waist in front, which might help conceal a tummy, but the sides and back do stop at the natural waist.