News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

H/A or semi H/A Stockings and socks handkerchiefs

Started by Capt Gabriela Fullpepper, June 04, 2008, 09:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Can anyone get me a link for H/A or even semi H/A stockings/socks

Also how many of the noble ladies carry a handkerchief?
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Master James

Most noble ladies would carry a handerchief as far as I know but their lady's maid would be the one carrying it in a basket.  As far as socks goes, I can't really help you there other that to say anything that is under the gown should not be seen anyway as that was scandalous to show ankles so it really shouldn't matter what you where.  Most of our ladies of the court wear a dark sock just so it doesn't show too much underneath.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

sealion

To be historically accurate you would want a bias cut cloth stocking like http://www.historicenterprises.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=550&c=15 from Historic Enterprises. I usually wear over the knee cotton stockings tied with garters myself.
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

As a woman with large feet and calves the Historical Entrprises will not fit my 12" foot and 17 1/2" calves
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

gem

I don't know of another source for buying ready-made period stockings (bias cut, as Sealion described), but there are patterns and instructions available.  I know there are patterns in TUDOR TAILOR, and I believe Reconstructing History carries a pattern for stockings as well (although a single RH pattern would cost nearly as much as the whole TUDOR TAILOR book, so keep that in mind).  You might also be able to track down an online pattern.  I'll see what I can come up with.

Knitted stockings became far more common at the end of the 16th century, and by the 18th century, they were ubiquitious.  If you're interested in going in that direction, then a store like Jas. Townsend carries both cotton and wool (unisex) over-the-knee stockings.  I have their clocked stockings (cotton), and they fit me well enough (I don't find them overly large), tho' I confess I haven't had Milord try them on to see how well they'd fit a man's calf.  I will say, though, that I find my JT stockings uncomfortably warm.  The rest of my ensemble is wool--and the only part that gets hot are my ankles. :)

sealion

The cotton stockings from Jas. Townsend are sold for men so fit shouldn't be a problem. (My husband and I share the ones I bought from them.) As for an online pattern for making your own- there is one in Katerina's Florence files: http://katerina.purplefiles.net/garb/diaries/Kat%27s%20Stockings.htm
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

Syrilla

Even tho they styling is later period, I love the stocks at williamsburg.  They hold there shape and don't wear down a fast as many i have worn.  I use garters above my knees to keep them up.