News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Weekend August 7 and 8

Started by Gauwyn of Bracknell, August 02, 2010, 12:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gauwyn of Bracknell

We will be attending this faire for the first time (M'Lady and 2 squires - age 10).

Any meet-n-greets planned?  Where may we find some forum people?  who works where?

I like music the most - anything act that I shouldn's miss?

Looking forward to a great time!

(I did try to get to the Bristol forum, set up an account but did not receive anything back yet)

Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Lady Renee Buchanan

Sorry we will miss you.  This is the only weekend in August Steve & I won't be there! 

Haven't set up a meet & greet since the first weekend.  It seems not many people show up for them.  Of course, there is so much to pack in for a weekend, I can understand it!

Go first thing Saturday morning and join - for $5 per person for the 2 days, not per day) the Friends of Faire.  It is the greatest!  Dayna is a forum member, and a Faire Hench, she's a doll.  They have the cleanest privies out of any faire I've ever been to.  With my health issues, the FoF privy is the only one I can use without having to wash them down before I use them and without fear of getting sick (except for groomporter's, and that's private!).  Plus, the free water & gatorade, it's so worth it.  And a word of warning.  Bristol is hot, hot, hot, and you can get dehydrated and go down before you know it.  So take advantage of the water & gatorade & stay hydrated.

The music is fantastic.  We love Jock Stewart,  Dan the Bard, Craig of Farrington, Ogham, the New Minstrel Revue, Ky Hote (a visitor for 2 weekends this year, this coming weekend is his last).

If you've never seen Moonie, his show is great.  The falcon show is always very good. And though we haven't seen it, supposedly, the last joust of the day is a joust to the death, with blood & stuff, if you like that kind of thing.

Sorry to miss you, but have a great time!

A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Thanks for the info
We are from Iowa, so we know all about the heat and humidity (is it hot enough for ya' :) ).  Just got back from Colorado where it was 90+ (but low humidity) and survived OK with the noble garb.

Musically, I like groups more that singer/players, if you know what I mean (like at Scarby, really liked Wine and Alchemy) and sorry to miss Tartanic that were at Bristol earlier.

Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on August 04, 2010, 12:10:13 PM

Musically, I like groups more that singer/players, if you know what I mean (like at Scarby, really liked Wine and Alchemy) and sorry to miss Tartanic that were at Bristol earlier.

For the most part, the New Minstrel Revue is the only regular musical group, but there are special guest artists on several weekends, so there are more groups at times.

At 6 p.m.-ish, at the Three Sheets music stage, near the ship, is the Musician's Revel.  Lots of the performers make their way down there for a jam session, and it's the best part of the day at Bristol.  I know there is a drum jam at the same time, so if you are there 2 days, maybe hit one each day. 

We were drum jam fanatics until they started the Musician's Revel a few years ago.  We haven't been back to a drum jam since, we just love the Revel.
A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Really enjoyed your faire this past weekend.  Your grounds are quite nice.

Saw Moonie and we really liked his show.  Had seen a few of the other performers at other faires, but still enjoyed the shows.

Your faire had some great shops too!  M'Lady and I really liked the bookstore - spent a small fortune there.

Your ale was a bit 'spensive' though  :-\ $6

We shall return again (not 'til next year though - Minnesota is calling :) )
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Dayna

Glad to hear you liked our faire, sorry to hear you won't be returning this year.  Where were you charged $6 for beer?!?!?!  All the taverns I'm aware of are $3.50 or so.
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: Dayna on August 11, 2010, 07:33:34 PM
Glad to hear you liked our faire, sorry to hear you won't be returning this year.  Where were you charged $6 for beer?!?!?!  All the taverns I'm aware of are $3.50 or so.

My husband paid $6 at the Pig & Whistle on Aug. 1st.
A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Dayna on August 11, 2010, 07:33:34 PM

Everywhere - although I drink the "good" stuff - I think Miller products may have been cheaper.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Dayna

Shows how much I get out, I noticed this last weekend, $6 for Leinies?!?!?!  Holy No Way!!!  Yes, Miller is cheaper in bottles.  I understand imported costs more, but Leinies is imported from Chippewa Falls, in Wisconsin, 3 1/2 hours away for Pete's Sake!!  Doesn't affect me since as an employee I can't drink during the faire day anyway, but I wonder how it's affecting the amount of drinking in which the patrons indulge.
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

Vartha

Lady Renee Buchanan

This is the first year since we've been going to Bristol that the pubs have mixed drinks.  I bought Steve a new wooden mug, the large size, and it came with a coupon for a free mixed drink.  He and I shared a Margarita.  Like I said, the mug was large size, and filled up it was really big!

I think they cost somewhere around $7-$8 if you bought it.
A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 

Vartha

wow never saw the day would have mixed drinks other than Black and Tans and Half & half