News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Kindle/Nook users? Advice

Started by mehan, October 05, 2010, 09:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mehan

I've googled, read and watched both introduction videos - but I can't seem to decide which to get for the specific use I want to put it to... (bad grammar, I know)

Specifically, I want to buy an ereader for my 83 year old mother who lives on the opposite coast.  Initially I will buy it here and load books on it here in the east, but going forward be able to either download them remotely or, if simple enough, have my sister (my mother lives with her) download them for her. 

My sister is wireless, I am not. 

So, as my mother reads, she will not need the wi fi feature - and as she is preety much homebound, battery life is not utmost.  What is important is ease of use, screen clarity, ability to change font size.  I don't even think weight is important as she would probably having it laying on a pillow or lapdesk.   

Any help, ideas would be appreciated.

William_MacKean

I would never buy something that reminds me of something a baby put in its mouth and becomes ever attached to.

Nor would I buy something that reminds me of fire starting materials.

Nor would I but something that is merely an iPhone with no calling ability.

Basically, I think the technology is not where it needs to be to earn my dollars, yet.  I don't even own an iPod.

Francisco Paula

I went with a sony reader myself. Reasons i did was first off i can expand the memory with sd cards. Also no wifi so i can download the books on my computer organize them then hook it up to the reader and upload. Also the sony reader takes alot of different format of files. I do like the easy way to enlarge the text since in my old age i still have something like 20/20 vision but need reading glasses, with enlarging the text i don't need to bring the glasses with me on a trip.

I have no experience with the nook.

For my Grandmother that is almost 90 and still loves to read the family pitched in to get her the larger kindle made for text books so has a larger screen and such.

Of course with the IPad now which works also as a reader that is another option. But also waiting a bit and see what comes out can be an option.

May i suggest going out and trying each one and see, i know that target has been carring the kindle and sony is pretty easy to find to try and i am sure they have a nook at barnes and noble.

Auryn

Target carries that Ipad now also.
I don't own one but got to play with that of a friend.
One word of warning on the Ipad- you HAVE TO sink it to itunes on a computer before you even activate.
It has all the same connection/formatting bs that Iphones and ipods have- as in you can't organize it like a removable media card- you have to do everything through Itunes.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Lady D1

I love my nook.  It is very easy to use as well.  love the way you increase the font size (my eyes are getting old!)  If all your mom needs is a book reader, then I would not pay for an Ipad. 

I bought my nook because I could actually go into the the store and touch and feel it.  Now that Target is carrying the Kindle.  I would suggest going and getting a feel for each of them then seeing which one you like best.   
Don't delay, taste a tart today!

mehan

Thanks everyone - I didn't realize Target was carrying the kindle - I was leaning towards nook just because I could give it a run - now I can give both a look see. 

Whats really cool?  Grichel's makes a nook cover - now I have to get one for myself too!

Francisco Paula

yes target carries the kindle also when i bought my sony ereader best buy was carring them. Yes defianetly play with one before you decide

ulfric

The kindle DX is the way to go for your needs. The larger screen allows for an increase in font size without forcing only a sentence or two to appear on the screen at one time.

Ipad would also be a good choice but the cost is prohibitive if you only plan to use it as an e-book reader.
Horseman of the Renpocolypse (Haughtiness)
Lord High Drunkard
CPA
Merc  819
IBRSC  1482
IFRP  1361

groomporter

Quote from: ulfric on October 06, 2010, 01:32:04 PM
Ipad would also be a good choice but the cost is prohibitive if you only plan to use it as an e-book reader.

As a dyed in the wool Mac user I have to agree. The iPad is only worth it if the user also needs it as a portable computer and media player.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

dfloyd888

I'm pondering an iPad not just for book reading, but am considering writing some apps for the platform as well, such as a secure mail reader/writer which encrypts the contents of everything.

groomporter

Yeah I'm tempted to get one if my current laptop dies. The wife wants one as soon as they have built-in phone, but all I need is the wifi capability it already has.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?