News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

we dream

Started by rengypsy, December 17, 2013, 09:55:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rengypsy

we are a strange species.  we dream.  we vision.  we are more than today and this presence.  we plan.  we create structures and monuments and systems and paradigms that will last a thousand years or more.  we stand atop pillars and see tomorrow.  it seems to set us apart from others of nature.

and thus, sherwood.

i am an older person now.  i didnt have the foresight or resources mr. coulam of trf had to begin this dream sooner...but i never intended to build sherwood for me...but rather for generations to come.  and when my partner, george, entered the picture...and he spoke of sherwood standing for 700 years, we met at a place of the soul...and understood each other as no two business partners would. 

sherwood is very much about the here and now...but what we hope and what we plan for is that it will exist for all of us  for more than those initial 700 years.  george and i speak about succession of management...which will likely be a committee (possibly consisting of some of you or your children)...who will collectively assure through its counsel that sherwood will endure in its purest and most noble form...because we both know some about history...and heirs eventually ruin what was built out of greed or neglect or simply not having the same passions and visions of their predecessors. 

we believe the seven sisters were erected for eons to come as a testimony to a collective vision of folk at the beginning of this century...reflecting values that have been passed on for hundreds and hundreds of years.

we want our clans to prosper.  we want to one day duplicate what mr. coulam did with toontown, but to also include a school for our rennie children, a center (oh wait, we have the pub!!!) where we can grow a sense of community, and who knows, one day, we may even incorporate our village into nottingham, texas.

we want councils and elders and guilds to re-emerge.

we want trade to be fair and reasonable.  we want artisans to be the foundation of our free market who make and sell their wares...and teach the next generation their trade.

we want the nobility and chivalry of knighthood to be available to our people..still based upon skill and valour, but also open to the peasant boy not of noble birth.

we want music and art to be an expression of our very souls.  we want children to be respected and revered.  we want to learn from our elders.  we want technology to enhance--not drive--our society.  we want to gather often to break bread together and lift our cares with ale and wine.  we want to be our brother's keeper.  we want to learn skills and talents from each other.  we want to gather as the poets share their tales of gallentry and love with us.  we want to cherish and rekindle the lost art of storytelling. 

we want to believe in the basic goodness of human nature, yet be willing to hold people accountable for their acts--even in extreme cases daring to ostracize those who are a cancer to our community.  but, we want to believe in the act of redemption and offer forgiveness when repentance is heartfully sought.

sherwood is and will be this amazing experience of integrating the faire business into the faire community with direction and democratic input.

so, we welcome you to offer your critique, your suggestions, your magic and art and music and artisanry to this wonderful emerging community.

see you soon in our forest,

rengypsy
it's all about the journey and the people we choose to make the journey with

FreyBjorn

There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R. Tolkien

Johnny Stache

:'( we love you Eric. Here's to 700 years and beyond!!!!! And I shall do my to "rekindle the ole art of storytelling. " Huzzah!!!!! A Thousand times Huzzah!!!!!!
"I'm a rambler I'm a gambler, I'm a long way from home, and them that don't like me can leave me alone. I'll eat when I'm hungry, I'll drink when I'm dry, and if the Loki don't kill me, I'll live till I die!!"

Rowan MacD

I want to clone you and bring you to Omaha.  This pretty much defines what a perfect Renaissance faire is to me.
  Thank You!
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Merlin the Elder

I'm telling ya, Rowen... You very much need to come... Here be magyk...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Lord Virgo

Well done sir, well done!!!  That is all.
XTREEM HORN LORD
THE WRONG ONE CAMP
SHAME THY SELF
TIS FOLLY

RefMom3

Most eloquent.
Quite sets a distant person's heart to yearning ;)

Crimson

Lady Crimson Cadena

Clan of the Celtic Rogues
TRF
Sherwood Forest Faire (Home faire)

"I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then" - Alice