News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Newbie Noble with Lots of Questions!

Started by Squire_Kit, February 09, 2011, 12:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Dinobabe on February 14, 2011, 03:12:05 PM
For a leather book you can buy a cheap journal at Wal-Mart or similar and wrap it in leather.  There might even be a few on this site that would do it for you.  Also, try a used book store.  Find a book cover you like (doesn't matter what's inside), rip out all of the pages and replace with plain paper.  Use, I believe, rubber cement to glue the binding.  Place heavy books on it or use clamps while it dries.  We used to do this all of the time to old books with soft covers.
I was going to suggest this too.  
In fact, if you are handy with a needle, you may be able to fashion a soft, thinnish leather or faux leather slipcover that can be transplanted from book to book!  Embellishment with jewels, and decoration with that glue and foil stuff that is used on t-shirts (and is washable) and your imagination is the limit.

Edit:  I almost forgot to mention: If you go to your local mystic shop, look for wooden bound 'Books of Shadow',  which are just blank pages of high quality paper sandwiched between 2 pieces of 1/4 plywood and screwed together.
  You can add and subtract pages without damage, you have a hard surface to write/draw on and you can glue the leather down onto it.
   The only drawback is the size.  I have never seen any that are larger than maybe 6"x8"  They were running about 40$ for a plain wood one with no decoration.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Dinobabe

Quote from: Rowen MacD on February 25, 2011, 10:15:33 AM
  Edit:  I almost forgot to mention: If you go to your local mystic shop, look for wooden bound 'Books of Shadow',  which are just blank pages of high quality paper sandwiched between 2 pieces of 1/4 plywood and screwed together.
  You can add and subtract pages without damage, you have a hard surface to write/draw on and you can glue the leather down onto it.
   The only drawback is the size.  I have never seen any that are larger than maybe 6"x8"  They were running about 40$ for a plain wood one with no decoration.

That's cool!  Seems like you could make it fairly easily.

I did a quick search and found this; make your own!
http://magickaschool.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23610
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com