News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Cloak / Coat Hybrid

Started by Orphena, July 07, 2014, 11:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orphena

Good Day, one and all!

Having just purchased some delicious wool for a fantastic price ($4 a meter!), I am looking at some options for new outerwear for both m'lord and I. We each already have a full length cloak, with a hood, and while we love them, we would like to have something a little less prone to flying open at every wind gust. Our festivals in Ontario tend to be in wide open spaces, so the wind is a little too effective.

I have seen the Coat in Tudor Tailor as an option. I also have several cloak options, some with sleeves, from my hoard of patterns.

What else is there?

While we do Ren, was also do fantasy, medieval, and a few other eras - so the cloaks will still get use as they are the most era friendly.

I was thinking of a hooded cloak, a little shorter, with wide sleeves so it would fit over a variety of sleeve styles.

Any reccomendations for hood shape that wont flop?

What about a very wide Elizabethan Ruff? What do I have to think of if my ruff stands out 6 inches on each side?

Ideas and suggestions, please!
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

isabelladangelo

cc29mesideview par Isabella, on ipernity

The above is a side view of my Elizabethan Spanish Surcote.  I *love* it.  The sleeves can be buttoned when in use or you can unbutton them and shrug them off to have them hanging behind you - like I do here. 

VARF 002 par Isabella, on ipernity

Not the best photo but the brown linen item I'm wearing in this photo is a dutch cloak. It's made in much the similar manner as the Spanish Surcote but it's shorter.  I don't have hoods on either of them. 

Orphena

Isabella....I've been having trouble viewing your images for a while... and I don't know why... but I would love to be able to see them!

isabelladangelo

Do you have a blocker at work?   I use ipernity which is a French based company to host all my images.   Some blockers/firewalls block them because they are French.  If you are at home, you have to add ipernity.com to the "okay" list on any firewall or anti-virus program you may have installed.

Orphena

Yes, work likely blocks a fair bit - I'll add it to my home versions so I can see!

Did you draft the patterns yourself, or can you suggest resources to get the correct shape for these?

isabelladangelo

I used a variation on the "loose gown" from Janet Arnold, 55 and the silk gown patterns from Tailor's Pattern Book 1589.  Using those as the base, I drew out the pattern to my specifications.  It's basically a trapezoid with armholes.   ;D