News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Insulating an attic... random ?

Started by Charlotte Rowan, May 18, 2009, 12:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlotte Rowan

So my fiance and I just bought a house, and the attic is partly finished into a bedroom, and partly unfinished. We want to use the unfinished part for storage, but there's all this insulation on the floor (and none on the ceiling). Does anyone know if we can just put insulation on the ceiling and not have any on the floor? My dad said he thought it was supposed to be on the floor...

thanks for any advice!
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

LadyShadow

I do believe you are supposed to have it on the floors.  As it helps insulate the rooms below it.  But I think you can get some for the ceiling area.  I know they have spray on insulation as well as the standard type.  I hope I was a bit helpful.  Good luck with it though.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Sitara

You still should have it on the floor.  With how the winters are here, it is needed.  You can put a floor on top of the insulation though.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

Demetrius

If you use the room as an actual room- i.e bedroom- you need the insulation above you like a blanket, otherwise in an attic the insulation typically goes on the "floor."

You can buy batting to put between the rafters and styro-foam vapor barriers as well, which go between the rafters.
Truth teller of exceptional proportion...
Proud to be a part of the Colorado Renaissance Festival...

Noble Dreg

"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Charlotte Rowan

Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.