News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Problem with my bodice...

Started by Tammy, October 13, 2009, 01:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tammy

Some of you may remember I got my first bodice for my birthday this year from my fabulous friends! This is the bodice... http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=6955.0

Ok...so the problem...the bottom part bends outward a little...and if I've sat (like driving 3 hours to faire) then it bends alot. I'm guessing the only way to fix this is adding boning (there are only 2 pieces in the middle part), but I'd be terrified to pull this apart. I was also wondering...is the point too long?
It also isn't tight enough...I can't stay fluffed, as the girls constantly fall back into their normal braless position so to speak.

I guess I'm just looking for ideas on how to fix these problems...I'm thinking about trying to find someone that can alter it for me.

Here's a pic of me wearing it Saturday...you can sorta notice the bottom V bending outwards. The back and sides also don't come all the way down to my natural waist (I was wearing my skirt hiked up a bit so that wasn't as noticeable).

Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

gypsylakat

<- has the same problem
Suggestions that have been made:
Wear a corset underneath, a really well fitting corset.
make it so the point isn't quite so far down, either by cutting straight across before where it curls up and rehemming it, or by keeping a point..
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Kate XXXXXX

It looks to me like the bodice doesn't really fit and isn't boned sufficiently. 

It needs to be a couple of inches longer.  To fix this you could take it apart at the shoulder seams and add in a bit of fabric to the straps...

Once it sits nicely at the waist, you need to sort the curl in the front.  The best way to do this might be to add a busk and some extra boning down the sides.  At any rate, the light weight boning needs something heavier in its place.

What is there by way of boning between the grommets and the side openings on the front and side pieces?  It could do with being a lot stronger so it doesn't buckle.

As for the bust sliding down inside it...  That means (usually) that it's not tight enough from just under the bust to the waist, and you need to look towards taking it in and inch there, if this can be done.

For a short answer: Let down the shoulders, replace the light weight boning with something much stronger, and wear a good bra under it.  It's not strictly HA, and you aren't cast, so that shouldn't be a problem.

It's a shame it needs work, because it's really pretty and it suits you.  But it wasn't designed to do the job of a corset.

gem

1. Wear a bra under it.  I wear a bra with almost all of my bodices (ones I've made as well as purchased from others).  In fact, Ophelia's actually *recommends* that their bodices be worn with bras, even though they're perfectly supportive without them.  A bodice that fits well with a bra under it will probably be too big without one (my Ophelia's bodice was the exception).

2. I second the recommendation of the busk.  This will help your end-curling issue.  You can probably do this without major surgery (ripping apart) of the bodice.  I just made a corset from a pattern by Simplicity that includes a busk, and the busk pocket was sewn to the outside of the lining (not sandwiched between lining and outer fabric).

3. What about adding tabs, skirting, or a peplum to the bottom, so you get better coverage?

4.  Um... don't drive in it for three hours?  ;)

5. My last suggestion is to do a little more radical surgery.  Take it in at the side seams, maybe cut down either the sides or the width of the stomacher piece, maybe take it in at center back (put a seam all the way down the back).

My guess is you probably won't ever be able to get a spectacular fit out of this bodice, even with surgery, but you can make it loads better and something you're still really happy with.

Good luck!

Tammy

The bodice was a gift...so the measurements are off just a bit. I had seen it on ebay, and thought the measurements were correct...my friend bid (without my knowledge), and won it.

There is boning at the grommets. It feels like it's soft/flexible zip ties.
I think I'll get a busk and start there. I have a Fredericks of Hollywood corset that might work under it well...if not, I'll find a good bra to wear with it. The corset is long, so that'll also help it from bending.

I'm not gonna worry about the length right now...I was thinking about adding a bumroll to my attire...so won't that help cover the chemise a bit?

Thank you SO much ladies!!!!! Y'all ROCK!!!!!
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.