News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Does anybody else feel like I do?

Started by Lady Renee Buchanan, November 26, 2009, 12:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Iram

[quote author=Lady Renee Buchanan link=topic=10081.msg211231#msg211231 date=126005213

So let's say "goodbye, good riddance" to this, because now all of us know that RenDezvous will be "Ren."
[/quote]

Renee, since opinions have been asked, I'll offer mine. This forum, and the first RenDevous was simply about folks who love to go to faire coming together, having some laughs and enjoying each others company. No one said a word to anyone about what they were wearing, or if sub groups were having "official" gatherings as part of Rendevous.  We all accepted that, whether we ourselves wanted to be a part of that group or not, so that they might add to the tapestry and so it was okay, because in the end we are all sub groups of the same forum. Our gatherings weren't so much "REN". It was about "Faire". It was about meeting each other and having a good time and fairing together.  Everyone was made to feel welcome. Certainly no one started a thread shinning a light on one particular group in this open forum. It makes me sad that some of you think this is okay, and I think some of us has forgotten that the word Playtron includes the word "Play".

Blue66669

Anna, thanks for offering your opinion.

Please understand that it's a NON issue at this point, and RenDezvous will be as it always was and always will be- a gathering of like minded individuals that just want to meet and have a good time at faire.
Blaidd Drwg

Lord Dragonspyre

Quote from: blue66669 on December 06, 2009, 12:12:57 PMPlease understand that it's a NON issue at this point

It was never really an issue to begin with, outside of people's personal opinions.

One quote said it best: "Faire is not history as it was, but rather history as we would have liked it to be."

Examining that quote, it stands to reason that the homogenization of different historical and fictional elements is the very essence of the Faire Experience. The fact that Faires tend to incorporate Medieval, Renaissance, Pirate, Fantasy, Fiction, Japanese, Greek, Roman, and holiday themes and the Day of Wrong proves that the homogenization works.

Granted, some elements are considered "off the beaten path" for certain tastes, but in rebuttal, I submit that non-Fairegoers believe that dressing up in heavy, elaborate garb and pretending to be someone you aren't is also "off the beaten path."

It's really all a matter of perspective and opinion, and as they say, opinions are like sphincters: everyone's got one and they all stink.
Corrupting Impressionable Youths Since 1976.

IBRSC#1475, RMG#820, IFRP#1276
Horseman of Debauchery

Anna Iram

Blue, I want you to know I appreciate you and Eloquent and all of you who have volunteered to host our invasion this year. My thoughts here are not meant to be unkind....just straight up. I know you all want us to come and enjoy what Scarby has to offer and I know you'll throw a heck of a party for us. I just don't want to see one group be told they cannot have an official function only to find that other groups are told that they may. I want us to be fair, across the board, to everyone that calls this forum home.

Blue66669

Well, since no specific groups have been told that they're going to be having an "official" function...

Elle and I will be posting the RenDezvous events sometime within the current month. It's mostly comprised of Meet and Greets/photo ops for the group, a tour of our faire for those that wish to participate,  a couple of period craft courses (if we can pull it off), and dinners outside of faire. There will not be any subgroups with official time on the schedule. RenDezvous is about the WHOLE of us, not about how many cliques we can get to show up.
Blaidd Drwg

Anna Iram

Thank you.  :) To that I will give a resounding HAZZAH!

VIII

Let's hope THIS guy doesn't show up:

:) ;) :D ;D ::)
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Anna Iram

,,yeah..but wouldn't it be too awesome if he showed up in tudor garb as say...King Vader the VIII!  :)

Trillium

Funny...Skywalker doesn't sound Scottish to me.... ;D ;)
Got faerie dust?

RSLeask

Quote from: Trillium on December 15, 2009, 10:21:54 PM
Funny...Skywalker doesn't sound Scottish to me.... ;D ;)

Alrigh', thot's it... ye an' yer dog're...!
What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?

VIII

Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Blue66669

Blaidd Drwg

Anna Iram

LOL...AWESOME!!! (Is that you VIII?)

*Sound of mechanical breathing*

"Elizabeth...I am your Father...."

Lady Rochelle

Ok that does it, we will all have to come naked
Let the games begin !