News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Wear it for the comfort...

Started by Capt. Morgan, May 28, 2008, 07:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master James

Being a little larger than most it was hard for me to find a UtiliKilt that fit me as they always said it was specialty order and they never had any.  Well at the faire a few weeks ago this vendor had them and I asked like I always do and expected the same response when he said, sure I have one that will fit you.  I FREAKED.  I tried it on and sure enough it fits!  I bought it and wear it all the time now.  As a matter of fact I'm in the office with it on for the first time.  I wore my wool kilt at Halloween but this is the first time with the UtiliKilt.  I LOVE them!
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

SleepyArcher

After DB got me into them I love em. I bought a fes, soold a few and now am waiting for a certain one to come back in stock.

I love wearing mine and always get asked "the question". People at work don't understand why I like wearing them all the time. My wife just tells people I like the looks people give me and especially the attention I get. It's true too.

I went visiting some friends and to a wedding in a small town and I got my friend to wear one and we went tot he wedding and then out to the bars. It was a hoot. The ladies love em, and you never stop getting asked questions. It was funny though because I was up in a small town in North Dakota and people were asking me if I was from Cananda! LOL too funny. I even got asked by an 80 yrd women "what's under there?" I said "my boots", she didnt get it and I wasnt going to explain.  ::)

Long live the kilts.
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

Philomel

DH has quite a few kilts- most are inexpensive ones from Stillwater Kilts, and the fancy one from our wedding (that cost twice as much as my wedding dress!)

He finally figured out why I wear skirts all summer rather than shorts- they're cooler!

groomporter

Quote from: MacLaren on May 29, 2008, 07:42:33 PM
I understand that a number of the American Founding Fathers wore their clan's tartans at the Declaration's signing. Half of them were of Scottish descent, after all.

Sorry to be picky, but I'm afraid I rather doubt that. If true, you would think kilts/tartan might have been portrayed in the classic portrayal of the the signing of the declaration ( http://tinyurl.com/49xpgu ). Also, (although it did not apply to the colonies) in 1776 even Scots weren't wearing kilts in Scotland unless they were part of a Highland military regiment. The Proscription Act ( http://www.highlandnet.com/info/culture/prosact.html ) banning the wearing of the kilt in Scotland was not repealed until 1782.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Baroness Doune

I'm with Groomporter.

This question recently came up on an 18th century list I belong to.  The experts on the list (and believe me, they ARE experts, with the documentation to back up everything they say) said that the Scots who came to this side of the pond, after the defeat at Culloden, wanted very much to be inconspicuous amongst the British who were currently in control here.  The Scots quickly abandoned the wearing of the plaid and any other form of distinctive Scottish attire and adopted the current fashion of dress popular in the later half of the 18th century.

MacLaren

That's quite possible. I've been mistaken before.

I forget where I read it, but I'll try looking for that article again.
Dan
Clan McLotofus
Captain, HMS Landshark
ROoL #78, guppy
FOKTOP

Peter Beer Slayer

Quote from: Cobaltblu on May 28, 2008, 09:01:08 AM
When something looks goofy and silly...do not fear...just make commercials to tell men that women are incredibly turned on by it.
Somehow I don't think advertising is going to help this time.
Actually the leather version wouldn't be half bad for a renaissance faire if they took out the two back pockets.

Regards,
CB

Ok, seriously
I have struck up more than a hundred conversations because I was wearing a kilt.
But I have never ever, not once started a conversation with a stranger because I was wearing blue jeans.

As for goofy and silly... 
Yes at an event where we steer for historical clothing they would be. 

UtiliKilts, Amerikilts, AltKilts, and all the other kilts I group into "Modern Kilts" aren't for renfaire any more than bluejeans are. 
Modern kilts are for after renfaire.  They are for when you want a comfortable, fun bit of clothing to cover things below the  waist.

Ok, you can wear modern kilts at the Faire when you want to wear mundane clothes that are comfortable.

Peter Beer Slayer
IBRSC#1096
IFoRP

Veni, Vidi, Pellicere * Veni, Potavi, Vici

Will Gamwell

Utilikilts:  Have worn them, but never owned yet.  A little too pricey right now. 

For Fest I am typically in a kilt very similar to a Still Water Kilt.  Just a mud tartan, pleated (and poorly at that), with clasps and a belt.  Not my preferred attire for Fest, but it is part of the uniform.  Plus the extra airflow is nice on those especially hot August days.