News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

7.2 Earthquake, the Earth was moving under our butts

Started by RumbaRue, April 05, 2010, 12:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RumbaRue

We got a pretty good shaking here in San Diego.

I was kicking back in the papasan chair in the sun
room watching the cats play, Boats was reading the Sunday paper at the family dining table when it hit.
I just looked around rather amused at everything hanging and swaying. The wrought iron chandlier over the dining table was really moving!
We both agreed if it had been any closer we might have actually had a few things fall down, but it didn't happen and we could tell it was a bit further away.
Now mind you through the whole quake, the cats continued to play, the parakeets were happily chirping away, Gilligan was going through his pirate talk and Corky as usual was just occasionally squawking.
It felt like we were on jello the way the place was shaking, and on a news cast later, a reporter said the same thing.
No water even sloshed out of the aquarium or the cat's water dish. Just a weird jiggling kind of shake a bit hard.
I had some friends from Orange County call and they said by the time it got to them in Stanton it was just a good roll.

I've felt a few aftershocks, but so far no problems.
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

Butch

Glad you and your loved ones (human and feline) and your belonging made it through with so little damage!

Lady Amy of York

The  Top  7 reasons i  moved  from California  back  to New  York :
                      1. I missed  my family out east.
                       2. Could not tolerate  the  110 degree  weather  from May  thru December
                        3. Smog
                         4. Traffic
                          5.  the  constant  dust
                           6. Brush  fires

and  what was  #7 ?    Oh  yea....  EARTHQUAKES   !

Glad   you are  okay.   The  earthquake   predictors  have  been watching  California   the last few weeks  now  ever  since  the  quakes  in Chile  and  Haiti.
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Francisco Paula

I miss the earthquakes form when i lived in san diego. They rocked you to sleep at night and stirred your coffee in the morning.

Ambrosine

hmm last ime I was in an earthquake was in San Francisco when I was about 8. Glad I live in Florida now, hurricanes are easier to prepare for =)

Glad everything is good and nothing damaged!
Stitch Witch of the Harbinger

Becky10

California born and raised, i love earthquakes! ;D

We were having an easter party at my aunts with a ton of new moms and little kids, I have never seen so many kids giggling at once. The mothers on the other hand were slightly more freaked. There was a mom from New York who finally was able to hand her kid off to another person for the first time,not the best first time experience. ;)
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

The Lady Mercedes

At first I thought it was a truck going by, but it didn't stop & got stronger so I thought "uh, I guess I'd better move..." lol :D
Why be mundane when you can be a Rennie?!

mpullen

Odd, I was born in California (La Mesa in 1950) and family moved all through the area (Dad was in the Navy), from La Mesa to El Cajon to Bakersfield and other locations for a few months. Aunt Mildred Alkire designed and built many of the expensive houses on Mt. Helix in San Diego.

In all that time, I never experienced an earthquake.

Pity. Still I figure that the area from San Francisco to Los Angeles really needs to dumped into the ocean when the San Andreas fault fails. Got to buy land in the Mojave Desert that will be ocean side afterwards.

BTW, I remember being able to swim in the Salton Sea. Now it's a toxic dump.

Yeh, I'm an old Phart.