News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

My New Coat and Vest...and a question.

Started by Sir. Kindle, April 23, 2010, 05:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir. Kindle

Hello everyone,

I just recently received my new pirate coat and vest, which were made by the very talented Lady Kathleen of Olmsted! I am very happy with the end results. Thank you so much Lady Kathleen! Words can't express how much I love the coat and vest. Today was the first chance I had to put on my whole outfit, so I thought I'd share a picture.

Now for my question. I have a drabbit, which is a shoulder dragon puppet. I bought it specifically to wear with my pirate outfit, but it has a long wire that runs down it's back, which is used to control it. I usually hide it by running it down the back of my vest. However, I'm hoping that I can figure out a way of wearing it with the coat. Any suggestions, or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I must point out though, that I most definitely DO NOT wish to place a small whole in the back of the coat for the wire to fit through, so I'm hoping for other ideas. I look forward to your responses.

Thanks,

Sir Kindle

Trillium

Lady Stich actually started a post fairly recently about her pink pirate trying to figure out a way for his puppet.  I'll try to find the topic later but maybe do a little digging for it.  There were suggestions that didn't include cutting a hole in the fabric.
Got faerie dust?

Sir. Kindle

Quote from: Trillium on April 23, 2010, 06:02:29 PM
Lady Stich actually started a post fairly recently about her pink pirate trying to figure out a way for his puppet.  I'll try to find the topic later but maybe do a little digging for it.  There were suggestions that didn't include cutting a hole in the fabric.

I did some digging and found the thread you mentioned. Unfortunately, it was about hiding the leather straps that hold the saddle in place and not about how to hide the wiring. Still, since I didn't even think of the straps, the thread made me realize that I also have to find a way to hide the straps.

Now, according to that thread, it looks like she plans on placing wholes in the coat and hiding them by making a saddle blanket. I might be willing to do this, if I actually had any sewing skills, but I don't and I'm afraid I'd screw it up somehow and end up with very noticeable wholes in my new coat.

One person in the thread suggested magnets. I've had some experience using magnets to hold in place things I put on my hats, so that I don't have to make holes in them. I might try seeing if I can place enough magnets at the bottom of the saddle to hold the whole thing in place. I'd still need to hide the control wire, but at least I wouldn't need to worry about the leather straps.

Thanks for the response. If anyone else has some ideas that don't involve wholes in the coat, I'm all ears.

Sir Kindle