News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Wow! Embroidered "blackwork look" linen at JoAnn! On sale, even!!

Started by gem, April 29, 2010, 01:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

operafantomet

gem

Oh, Anea, that's brilliant! It's a really good weight for that. There's a jacket pattern in TUDOR TAILOR that could probably work... and I think a blackwork jacket would probably look *smashing* with my pink damask corset.

I've pretty much decided what I'm going to use mine for. But... it's a surprise. I want to actually get started on it before I go bragging it up! LOL

Or, oh heck, maybe I'll go Anea's jacket route.  I'd better go back and get more.  ;D

ETA: So after looking a little more at the Jacobean jackets, I'm wondering how this would look with the more severe cut of a doublet bodice. I don't think I've ever seen a blackwork doublet, but I'm intrigued by the "timeline-bending" idea.

gem

A quick update:

Although the fabric care instructions were "hand wash cold/line dry," I of course wanted to test that. So I cut a 6x6" swatch and ran it through the washer/dryer. My initial plan was hot wash/hot dry... but then I decided that I'd see how it handled more ordinary laundry conditions, so I ended up warm/med-high.  I was expecting some differential shrinkage between the fabric and the embroidery, and that the fabric would end up all warped and wrinkly... but it DIDN'T!  It shrank some in the lengthwise grain (parallel to the selvage) and not really at all in the cross wise (perpendicular to the selvage). My 6x6" swatch shrank to 5.5x6".

It wrinkled no more than you'd expect any linen to wrinkle in the wash, and perhaps even less... and better still: ironed BEAUTIFULLY.

So... now I'm wondering how it would take some *real* abuse in the wash, so I'm getting ready to send the swatch through according to my original plan (hot/hot). I'm also thinking of cutting a full yard and washing that to see. Will the rayon stabilize the progressive-shrinkage of the linen, or will it continue to shrink? Unfortunately, I have to wait for an appropriate load of laundry to come up, since I've already washed all my whites! LOL

Lady Isabella

PrincessSara

If someone who has this fabric could weigh it and give an ounces per yard, maybe that would help the rest of us figure out how heavy it is.

I wish we had JoAnns in Canada, it's really lovely stuff!

Lady Renee Buchanan

Went to our crummy Joanne's after work, and of course, they don't have this fabric.  The woman told me they are a "medium-sized" Joannes and they don't carry everything.  In reality, they are a pathetic excuse for Joannes.  I guess the optimist in me thought they would have this fabric.  I really shouldn't be surprised.  They had a total of 15 different trims.  What kind of choice is that?  Oh well, it's not meant to be.  Especially since I don't know how to sew anyway!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Butch

Wow, Lady Renee, I can FEEL the disappointment dripping from your comment!  I'm sorry for your bad luck.

DO NOT buy a Powerball ticket tonight!  HA!

I sincerely hope the optimist in you is reassured tomorrow!

NicoleBridget

My JoAnn's actually had a couple bolts so I was able to score 2yds!  I also think this fabric would make a great partlet, but Anea's suggestion of the Jacobean jackets really has my wheels spinning right now...  Lady Renee, I'd be more than happy to pop back in and grab some of the fabric for you, just let me know!

Thanks again Gem, for sharing your find AND for being the Guinea pig with the pre-washing!

gem

As I was ironing my 4-yard cut of this fabric this afternoon, I realized I never came and gave a final update!  I machine washed and dried the fabric three times on hot wash/medium-high dry, and it behaved beautifully--minimal shrinkage, no worse wrinkling than any other linen, no puckering around the embroidery. I formally declare this fabric absolutely WASHABLE!  (Not that my word means much, but still. LOL)

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: NicoleBridget on May 04, 2010, 08:56:14 AM
My JoAnn's actually had a couple bolts so I was able to score 2yds!  I also think this fabric would make a great partlet, but Anea's suggestion of the Jacobean jackets really has my wheels spinning right now...  Lady Renee, I'd be more than happy to pop back in and grab some of the fabric for you, just let me know!

Thanks again Gem, for sharing your find AND for being the Guinea pig with the pre-washing!

Thanks for your kind offer.  But since I don't know how to sew and have enough material for 3 people, I decided it would be silly of me to buy more.  One day, though........ ;D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Lady Rebecca

I saw 1.5 yds of it at my Joanns today, and for 50% off, but I can't really figure out what I would do with that amount of it, so I saved my money...

gem

I took the scissors to mine tonight (gasp!).  I have one more piece to cut out, but I'm taking a break. Want to get it done tonight, lest I forget what I'm doing in the morning!

Lady Rebecca

I broke down and bought it today, when I was there for some chemise fabric. It should hopefully be just enough for a set of sleeves, though I wish I had enough for a partlet, too!

Butch

I happened to be in the JoAnns by closest to me today, and they had this stuff in stock!  60% off to boot!  So, I got 3 1/2 yds at 5.99/yd.  Not sure what to do with it all, but glad to have it!

irish

I saw this fabric at our Jo-Ann's, but it was a bluish purple color, with the black embroidery. When moved it shone different hues of blue and purple. It is very lovely.
I didn't buy any, as I just didn't know what to do with it.
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)