News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A question for the masses

Started by Radu the Gypsy, July 24, 2010, 11:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radu the Gypsy

Ok, so it has come to my attention, however thick I may be, that some people seem to have a problem or a concern with me expressing my opinions of the Colorado Faire.  I am aware I hold them in less than high regard.  I am aware I am somewhat vocal in this fact.  I have never been one to hold back my opinions.

My confusion is this:  Why does my expressing my opinions cause such a ruckus, and for that matter, why does anyone care?  It seems the last two times I've chimed in on a thread with less than glowing recommendations for the faire or it's management, someone has felt the need to put on their combat boots and try to stomp all over me and my opinions.  Worse yet, people panic, and the most common concept I hear is "Oh My God!  This is a Public Board!  Management can see this!  You are going to get us all in trouble!"

How in the world can I, Me, who has no affiliation with the faire, it's management, it's cast, its crew, or any other aspect, get others in trouble for expressing MY opinions?  Why do people suddenly run around screaming that the sky is falling?  I'm sure there are more than a few people willing to go on at great length about what an insignificant speck I am.  As such, why on earth do these same people care what I say?

Just kinda curious.  

Radu the Gypsy

This is actually a serious question, not just a random rant.  I'm trying to understand this.

Avan

You are correct this is a public forum that has no affinity with the Colorado Renaissance.  As long as you abide by the rules of this forum (such as no flaming, trolling, personal attacks) you have a right to express you opinion freely.

Welcome to the USA.

LadyFae

From what I've been able to tell people just get really defensive about their home faire- whether or not what you feel is true or opinion or whatever, they will defend to no end.  An example of this- I know of someone who was called a snob because she made mention that some of the cast of CORF didn't seem to be enjoying themselves.  It was an observation (and from what I have seen from pictures I really must agree with this person and her observation) and she was personally attacked because of making it.  I think that any comment that could even remotely be misconstrued as negative will be reacted to as such only because the person "hearing" it is being protective.  You know, like you can talk crap about your own family but no one else better even THINK to say anything about them?  =)
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Radu the Gypsy

Hmm, a good point Ladyfae.  kinda of a "Nobody Beats up my Little Brother but Me." sort of thing.  I guess I can see that.  I am curious, this friend who was called a snob, was this on the boards, or away from them?

kcdcchef

Quote from: Radu the Gypsy on July 26, 2010, 12:21:06 AM
Hmm, a good point Ladyfae.  kinda of a "Nobody Beats up my Little Brother but Me." sort of thing.  I guess I can see that.  I am curious, this friend who was called a snob, was this on the boards, or away from them?

My home faire is the Kansas City Renaissance Festival, which, I defend to the bitter end ALWAYS. However, now that my wife and I live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in addition to traveling to KCRF each fall we also journey to the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire in Lancaster, about 3 hours East, each fall. And since the PARF is not my home faire, I do tend to criticize it off and on based on how I really feel, in comparison to KCRF, and other faires I go to, MNRF, and a couple others. And when I do all the PARF regulars tar and feather me.

In short, people defend thier home faires and then some. And when you say anything whether deserved, honest, or anything else, prepare to get blasted!

Radu the Gypsy

See, I understand the concept.  Perhaps I am just odd.  Colorado was my first faire, and in the early days, it was shiny and beautiful.  and I still consider it my home faire.  But I honestly have much more fun attending Minnesota or Arizona.  When asked my opinions of faires, I have so many stories of good times at the other shows, and while I have some fun stories from Colorado, they never compare.  I suppose much of that stems from the fact that I got burned by colorado, while the other faires have never been anything but welcoming.  ::shrug::

But I wander with my point.  I suppose the defense of ones home faire is really no different that cultural, state, or national pride.  And we all know how vehemently people ride in defense of those.

Radu the Gypsy

This still does not address the Big Brother question.  The anger perhaps we have explained, but what about the panic and fear?  Why do people (and I'm getting the idea from messages that it's not just me) get shushed for being critical, with the attitude of "Management is watching, you cant say that here!!!" 

Celtic Rune Stones

Quote from: Radu the Gypsy on July 26, 2010, 01:15:40 AM
This still does not address the Big Brother question.  The anger perhaps we have explained, but what about the panic and fear?  Why do people (and I'm getting the idea from messages that it's not just me) get shushed for being critical, with the attitude of "Management is watching, you cant say that here!!!"  

When someone implies, "shhh don't say that, management is watching..." its a polite way of saying keep your negative comments to yourself - much the same way someone says, "Watch the profanity, there are children present."

The Renaissance Festival is a place people attend by choice not mandate - they go to enjoy themselves, whether rennie or mundane, the goal is to have fun. If for what ever reason you do not enjoy yourself, do not attempt to vent your displeasure on those who live for the fair for the rant will fall on deaf ears and it will surely alienate you from them.

When comparing Renaissance Festivals - do not berate one over another - find the good in each and tell others what you enjoyed not what you disliked. If you enjoy one over another, then attend the ones you enjoy, find fellowship there, but do not chastise one for failing to live up to your expectations.  
My life is loosely based on a true story...

KeeperoftheBar

Quote from: Celtic Rune Stones on July 26, 2010, 06:43:10 AM
This still does not address the Big Brother question.  The anger perhaps we have explained, but what about the panic and fear?  Why do people (and I'm getting the idea from messages that it's not just me) get shushed for being critical, with the attitude of "Management is watching, you cant say that here!!!" 

When comparing Renaissance Festivals - do not berate one over another - find the good in each and tell others what you enjoyed not what you disliked. If you enjoy one over another, then attend the ones you enjoy, find fellowship there, but do not chastise one for failing to live up to your expectations. 

I have to disagree here.  If someone doesn't complain, management may not realize there is a problem that they may correct or at least minimize.  For example Sherwood Forest, in Texas is a very new faire.  They had problems opening day which were brought to their attention.  And management bent over backwards to try and correct those problems.  I didn't make it there last year because I didn't know if StudMuffin could handle the terrain but with the improvements I have heard, I believe I shall try to attend next year. 
On the otherhand, I doubt I will ever go to CORF as I have heard EVERYTHING is uphill from wherever you are.   And this is one of those things management can't fix.
Critquing is good, Bi**hing is not...
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

QueenTitania

Quote from: Celtic Rune Stones on July 26, 2010, 06:43:10 AM

When someone implies, "shhh don't say that, management is watching..." its a polite way of saying keep your negative comments to yourself - much they same way someone says, "Watch the profanity, there are children present."

The Renaissance Festival is a place people attend by choice not mandate - they go to enjoy themselves, whether rennie or mundane, the goal is to have fun. If for what ever reason you do not enjoy yourself, do not attempt to vent your displeasure on those who live for the fair for the rant will fall on deaf ears and it will surely alienate you from them.

Well stated Celtic Rune Stones !!
"life is measured not by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath way."

Celtic Rune Stones

Quote from: KeeperoftheBar on July 26, 2010, 07:52:16 AM
I have to disagree here.  If someone doesn't complain, management may not realize there is a problem that they may correct or at least minimize.  For example Sherwood Forest, in Texas is a very new faire.  They had problems opening day which were brought to their attention.  And management bent over backwards to try and correct those problems.  I didn't make it there last year because I didn't know if StudMuffin could handle the terrain but with the improvements I have heard, I believe I shall try to attend next year. 
On the otherhand, I doubt I will ever go to CORF as I have heard EVERYTHING is uphill from wherever you are.   And this is one of those things management can't fix.
Critquing is good, Bi**hing is not...

Complain to management - yes; but do it to management, not air it out on the forum. They have an office and a public affairs rep - that is the proper venue for bringing something to their attention.

My life is loosely based on a true story...

Zoë

I have always seen this forum more as a place to converge with others over our love of faire, and this one in particular being that it's our regional/home/local/whatever faire and most of us attend it on a regular basis, whether working or playtroning.  We post here because we love faire, we love going to faires, and we love the people we meet at faires, and we want to discuss our adventures and our daily faire fun with others who share that love.  To be bluntly honest, I don't see much point in coming down on management here, because it's simply not the proper place.  Context, tone, and vocal expression required in such critical discussion is not possible on the Internet, and so because of that, a lot of time things get taken the wrong way, people get angry at each other, and it's generally just not a good way to handle things.  If one has an interest in critiquing or commenting negatively about the faire or its management, it's best to be done in the physical presence of others who feel the same way.  Don't get me wrong - I b!tch about many things about the faire and the way it's run, and it's because of a lot of things related to it that I'm not returning to work faire next year, but I don't discuss those reasons here, because this is not (no pun intended) the correct forum.  

Just my tuppence, anyway.  
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Radu the Gypsy

But Celtic Runes, time and time again it's been proven that any complaints and criticism directly to management falls on deaf ears.  I agree that in most cases that is the way to go, but that is ineffective here.

Zoe, where would you recommend such discussion be held then.  No, seriously, If I could find a constructive way for my complaints and concerns to be voice and, if not necessarily addressed, at least acknowledged, I'd snap it up.  A bunch of like minded people sitting around in a circle bitching about how bad things are achieves nothing, except to perhaps learn new stories of what the faire did to other people.  Airing it publicly at least has the chance fo others not of a like mind (and management, lets not forget management) to see, comment, and possibly do something about it.

History has shown us that sitting around in dark rooms bitching about things has achieved nothing (except perhaps for some french poets).  Rationally attempting to argue your position with irrational individuals achieves less.  Following history's lesson, we at the storming the streets with pitchforks stage (Metaphorically, I dont own a pitch fork).  So give me an alternative method to publicly posting my grievances in hopes of them being addressed that actually works, and I'm on it.

Zoë

In the interest of not sounding like I am trying to fan a flame, I will leave it at this: nobody has ever forced anyone to go to faire.  If one has grievances about faire that are so bad as to incite hatred at the mere mention of it and/or its management, perhaps one should not attend faire, and leave it for the rest of those who still enjoy it in whatever capacity that they do.  That is the point of this board, as has been my impression for many years and was the reason I joined this board in the first place.  If anyone is interested in starting a community that is based solely in complaining about management in a public forum that may be heard by someone else, there are plenty of free message boards out there. 
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy