News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Why does my sewing machine hate me?

Started by Lady Rebecca, September 21, 2010, 12:13:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Rebecca

I feel like I've been having endless problems. I sewed some eyelets today, and all was well. Then I went to switch it back to a straight stitch, and flipped the switch to bring the feed dogs back up. Nothing happened. I tried again. Nothing. I unscrewed the plate to get to the feed dogs, and they would only come up if I levered them up with my flathead screwdriver. They worked fine when I did them, but every time I flipped the switch to drop them again, they wouldn't come back up.

Any other Viking Emerald users ever had this problem?

Kate XXXXXX

How long have you been using it and when did you last get it serviced?

Lady Rebecca

I bought it the end of May, and haven't had it serviced yet.

Kate XXXXXX

What have you been sewing? And how much?

It still might need a service if it's been heavily used.

Lady Rebecca

So far, I've done a pair of pirate pants, two 1890s dresses, two elastic-neck chemises, most of one full-length chemise (all three with a little machine blackwork), one Ren corset (everything, including eyelets, except the binding), a 30s dress, a circle skirt, an Edwardian bicycle skirt, a 50s crinoline, most of everything on an underbust bodice (which is what I was working on when it broke), and some random minor alterations. Is that a lot?

LadyStitch

All since May?  I'd say it needs at least a good thorough looking over.   To be honest you have made more in the past  3 months than I have for  my shows.  Now that is saying something.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Sorcha

Kate XXXXXX

That's certainly enough tough stuff to warrant a trip to the engineer since it' playing up.

Adriana Rose

I second the trip to the doctor.

I've had to take mine apart and oil and defuzz once a year ( the sewing machine doc is too far away for regular trips)

Lady Rebecca

Can I just take it to any sewing machine repair place, or does it have to go someplace special?

And could I take my unthreading serger in to the same place? I have yet to go to a sewing machine repair place...

Adriana Rose

Call around and see who specializes with what brand

Kate XXXXXX

The Emerald is still under guarantee, so should go back to the place you got it from in case there is work that should be covered by that to be done.  They should also be able to service the serger.  If that's still inside the guarantee period, that should also go back to where you got it.

If you bought them online, contact the closest Husqvarna dealer and see if they will honour the guarantee.

Lady Rebecca

I bought the Viking from the Viking Center inside Joanns fabrics.

The serger I bought used online, so I really don't mind spending the money to see if someone can help me. But I'll call the Viking center for the sewing machine after work today.

Kate XXXXXX

Ask them about the serger as well.  The worst they can say is no, after all.

Lady Rebecca

I think my problems are solved! I called the Viking center today, and the lady said that you have to turn the handwheel to get the feed dogs to come back up (I'm sure I should have known this, but I never had to turn it before!). And she also said that they should be able to replace (hopefully free of charge) the ankle on the machine, where my eyelet plate has been bending the plastic up. She even said that I could bring in my serger, even though it's a Kenmore, and she would take a look and try to figure out what's going on with it.

Thank you all so much!