News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Would you rather have $70k now, or $70k in 1900?

Started by Valiss, October 13, 2010, 11:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valiss

Interesting poll on NPR today.

Would you rather:

A. Live in 1900 and make $70,000 a year.

or

B. Live today and make $70,000 a year.

If you choose A., you get to be super rich; your income is roughly equal to $700,000 today. You get a mansion, servants, the whole deal.

Choice B. means you aren't rich, but you're not poor  and you don't have to worry about being crippled by polio, or killed when a cut on your foot gets infected. You also get cable TV and air conditioning.

Lady Christina de Pond

I'll take B
heck i wouldn't start off rich but shoot i think i could stash away about 3thousand a month i'd be rich soon
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Lady Rebecca

$70k/yr sounds delightful! I'd say it's at least 5 times what I make right now. So I'll stick with my internet and air conditioning.

Lady Nicolette

Tough decision...But you could live in say, San Francisco or Los Angeles and have beautiful weather (who needs a/c on the west coast)!  Of course there was that 1906 earthquake thing. :-
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

brier patch charlie

Charles Coleman

William_MacKean

I would rather live today.  I love what I have today.

To make $70k/yr in 1900 would also mean being one of the upper class who got ubber rich from taking advantage of the working class.  Every dollar I would make back then would be fuel to the Labor Movement fire and all of the turmoil associated with it.

No.  I cannot elevate myself by stepping on others.

Anna Iram

Ubber rich in the 1900's for me.  I'll travel to catch the breeze.  :)

Dance_Dance

I almost jumped at the chance at the $700k/year but then I realized that I don't like 1900.  :P  I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm sure it was a lovely time and all, but barely any rights for women. . . . Oh, and interracial relationship were hard enough just on the friends level so the idea of the relationship I'm in now would be scorned by my fellow upper-crusts.

Yeah, I'd rather take the $70k/year now, enjoy my rights, and love my boyfriend.  Oh, and the internet. ;D

Mairte

I am divided pretty closely on this one...but think I would stay in the current time.

crashbot

I am already doing B, so I'd try A just for some variety.
Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices. - Voltaire

LadyFae

Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

ArielCallista

money NOW please! I'm not bothered by not being rich, and money now would still give me more than I make at this moment...like 10 times as much lol...also I like having technology...and I really don't want to use an ear spoon...
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

meauho

My mother's midlife crisis was to move all of us to Montana - where I spent 6 years without any running water or electricity (or the conveniences that go with either).  I'll take 1900 - it wasn't nearly as bad as how we were living, and being rich would make up for a lot of the bad.  Plus, you don't have spam email and faxes.
"New ideas are always suspected, and usually opposed,without any other reason but because they are not already common."