News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Great February Blizzard- Rennie Check In!

Started by eloquentXI, February 01, 2011, 09:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eloquentXI

Hi folks!

I wanted to put a thread up for people to check in at for all the DFW Rennies snowed in currently. I know our friends elsewhere around the country are laughing at us because we barely have a few inches and are still getting stuck, but unlike the rest of the country that deals with this on a regular seasonal basis, it is NOT the norm for us. Texas roads and Texas drivers + this weather = baaaaaaad idea!

The temps are supposed to keep dropping with not a whole lot of a chance for things to get better for the rest of the week.

We're -3 in Denton currently. Brrrrr!
Be safe, people! This crap is nasty!

Anyways, Elo here, checking in! Also, I'll post photos up later!
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Merlin the Elder

We almost always get similar weather to Dallas here in central Arkansas, but this winter storm went north of us.  I'm concerned for Rani and other Oklahomans...OKC wind chill a couple hours ago was 30 BELOW. That's not a big deal for those in Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc., but that's on the chilly side for this part of the country!

It's just windy here in Maumelle, with rain and mist. Temperature is dropping though...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Rowan MacD

Omaha will end up with about 6" of light, dry snow. Add high winds and arctic temps and it's miserable.
   Not as bad as the poor folks in MO.  How you guys doing?

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Rani Zemirah

We're good here, Merlin!  Scally and I went on a little adventure this morning at around 1am to the local grocery store to pick up a few things we were low on, and couldn't get until payday (which was at midnight, thanks to direct deposit ::) ), and there was already 2-3 inches on the ground, with 8-10 inch drifts.  It's now 3-5 inches on the ground, with 2-5 ft drifts, but the wind is blowing so hard that it's having a hard time accumulating.  Very day, powdery snow, though, and no layer of ice underneath, so the roads are actually not too bad.  We're safe and warm here, and I hope everyone down there is, also! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Somewhat typical winter day here in God's country (Iowa) :) - snow, cold, wind, can't see sh*t, let's go for a drive  :D
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

eloquentXI

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on February 01, 2011, 08:25:51 PM
Somewhat typical winter day here in God's country (Iowa) :) - snow, cold, wind, can't see sh*t, let's go for a drive  :D

Hah, yeah, not here in this region. 4-8 inches of snow, and 2-4 inches of ice on the roads.

North Texas isn't made for this.

Day 2 of pretty much all the area schools shut down. UNT on Day 2 of campus being closed also.
Stay warm, friends!

Lairde Guardn

I have to say, for once I am in the little belt of sunshine...and I am glad the snow and cold missed us this time in Eastern NC......Will be in the low 70's today.....  Hope all of you in the Blizzard warm up soon
Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt

The Rabbi

Snow stopped yesterday and I cleared the steps 23 of them to be exact lol. hauled wood up for more heat and took a yardstick down to see what things looked like. 10 and 1/2 inches in flat spot with a nice 2 foot drift by the truck. Not fair Rani we got ice up here in my corner not much but still yet not even fair. Might dig out the truck today so it is ready to roll as needed. Doing good here have coffee & Baileys coke & Rum Cigs and Tater Soup plus plenty of wood for heating. 
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

Merlin the Elder

It's coming, Lairde Guardn...it's coming.

Rabbi, you're welcome to come to Maumelle where it's a balmy 21 at the moment—today's warming up nicely!

It's still a little chilly for a faire, but I love the cold...hate the hot. I've never been able to figure out why I've stayed in Arkansas. I think I'd be happier in Colorado.

Sir Ironhead

El Paso is closed, Fort Bliss is closed.  I have the day off, now what do I do?
Debaucheteer
IBRSC #1389
Sandbox Inspector
Iron'n M'Crack
Royal Order of Landsharks #41

beckgam462

it is minus 5 at 0700 hours today but fort hood is open

Bliss are weenies
in the bilge with the vermin
Procrastination wannabe
Life Time member "Cottonbalers"';  Volens et Potens

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: The Rabbi on February 02, 2011, 09:33:41 AM
Snow stopped yesterday and I cleared the steps 23 of them to be exact lol. hauled wood up for more heat and took a yardstick down to see what things looked like. 10 and 1/2 inches in flat spot with a nice 2 foot drift by the truck. Not fair Rani we got ice up here in my corner not much but still yet not even fair. Might dig out the truck today so it is ready to roll as needed. Doing good here have coffee & Baileys coke & Rum Cigs and Tater Soup plus plenty of wood for heating. 

We almost always get the ice first, and usually it's JUST the ice, breaking every tree in the state, downing power lines and usually killing several people in the process, so this has been a real blessing.  In fact, I can't remember the last time it snowed here without laying a thick sheet of ice down first!  It's been awesome to play in, although it's all powder, and won't even make a snowball, much less a snowman!  It's hovering around 5 degrees outside, with a windchill of -11...

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on February 02, 2011, 10:32:09 AM
It's still a little chilly for a faire, but I love the cold...hate the hot. I've never been able to figure out why I've stayed in Arkansas. I think I'd be happier in Colorado.

Merlin, maybe you and Nim need to move up to the mountains with Scally and me, when we go! 

Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

ArielCallista

I'm fine...tho Elo knows that! lol...our third roomie is having to commute to work in this! :( luckily, UNT is closed thursday as well for us...nearly a whole week off school! The power outages better stop so I can get bunches of sewing done! :D
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

eloquentXI

Rolling black outs FTL! Blah!

Going on Day 3 of the campus being closed. I would be thankful but I have several deadlines that I am going to have issues getting done as materials/resources are on campus. Let's hope my Prof's are feeling forgiving...

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on February 02, 2011, 12:45:41 PM
Merlin, maybe you and Nim need to move up to the mountains with Scally and me, when we go! 

You don't know how tempting that is.