News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Won free linen! Now what? (Help me shop/brainstorm)

Started by gem, December 21, 2011, 03:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

I don't know if I mentioned it here before, but I took fourth place in Fabrics-store.com's recent Hallowe'en costume contest (for my coral Campi), and it came with prize money!!  So I have a fair amount to splurge on some linen... but right now don't have anything in mind.

I know I could stock up on basics (chemise fabric, etc)... but how fun is that? (yawn) What I really need are ideas for things that can use their glorious array of colors and various weights. I have enough for about 15 yards (!), so we can really go to town here!

Right now I have two front-lacing linen Italian gowns (a brown gamurra and the coral Campi), plus another 10 yards of navy blue I was going to use for another one (realizing I don't need 10 yards for a basic kirtle/dress!). I also have a Pre-Raphaelite WIP, for which I could get some lightweight red for an undergown/chemise.  I'm also planning a Robin Hood ensemble for Milord, and have a good supply of vineyard green for a shirt for him. Also in my stash is 3.5 yards of dark cherry red dress-weight linen (from another source).

I have been thinking about a new skirt-or-something to go with my pink corset, upgrades to my pirate kit, and a whole new _______ ??? for Milord's dad, who recently lost a ton of weight and desperately needs new garb.

So--inspire me! Enable me!!  If you could walk into a store and pick out 15 yards of free linen, what would you get? And what would you use it for?

Gramercy!

CenturiesSewing

Fitted Gothic Gown/Cotehardie

Something Middle Earth (WhyhelloHobbittrailerwhatdoyoumeanIhavetowaitanotheryear?)

A few yards of white for coifs, partlets, aprons, a proper ruff and wrist ruffs, and upper gown lining

A yard or two of red for a pair of scarlet hose with matching garters.

operafantomet

A side laced sottana in yellow/mustard linen, with a white linen chemise underneath.... Maybe with some neath blackwork on the sleeves and neckline... And with a hem stiffened with two layers of linen strips... And with tie-on sleeves in maybe greyish blue or bright red linen... Lined with silk, so they're reversible and shows another texture... You know you want it!

"Lute player", ca. 1620, by Orazio Gentileschi (National Gallery of Art, Washington).

ETA: Congrats, by the way!!

DonaCatalina

Congratulations
I made several cotehardies and houplandes for milord before he decided that he preferred slops. You can make them as simple or as complicated as you like.

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Auryn

Firstly congratulations again.

Second- I may be the voice of dissension but I think you should get yourself a beautiful linen that you absolutely love, to make yourself something.
You spend so much time making for others, I say reward yourself.

I like opera's garb suggestion, I think you would look smashing in something similar.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Cilean

Please get purple and black, red and green that deep forest green in the 5.3 ounce because it is really good for outer gear~

You need a Gabardine, and a Zimmura, Coifs, Aprons, and why not attempt some stockings?  Don't forget to get a couple of yards to make guards for different outfits.  I don't know why I consider you to be an Italian, but a 1600 Jacket with embellishments would be awesome and of course? Loads of Kirtles!

Did I inspire you?

LOL
Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

Imestra

Quote from: gem on December 21, 2011, 03:10:48 PM
  So  If you could walk into a store and pick out 15 yards of free linen, what would you get? And what would you use it for?

Gramercy!

My choice would be to get 7 yards in a medium weight & 8 in a light weight - both in unbleached or as natural a color as could be.  Then you can dye just the yardage needed, and dye it the exact color you want, per project.

Linen dyes up so beautifully.
We are all of us in the gutters, but some of us are lookin at the stars

Anna Iram

Maybe something like this? The color combinations are beautiful, I think, and I think the "seperates" nature of the gown would give it lot's of versatility. ..and how cute is that hat!? :)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Meister_des_Jouvenel_des_Ursins_001_detail_2.jpg

Must also agree on a medieval houplande. You could have lots of fun with tbe contrast of colors from the unergarment and the guards. Such a lovely fashion.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1400%E2%80%931500_in_fashion

Adriana Rose

I would make a new gown, nice and simple but make the skirts super full. I love full skirts ;D

amy

if I may add to Anna's idea and exand on Adriana,  they have a great idea together.    Do a long but super full and giagantic robe or gown to wear over your beautiful kirtles.   Along the lines of the blue print that Anna posted.   I would die for that!

Cilean

Well Looking at Ren Faire...and your coloring? Hmmm

What about this one? Now Imagine it with Blue English Fitted and then the Kirtle? Salmon!

How about Eleanor in a deep forest green?

What about this lady? In Red!!!

What about Lady Helena? But in Tawny? It would so suit your coloring!

This lady with her lovely Sleeves but in Watchet or Teal?

Can you imagine the accessories since the linen would be free!!!! Awesome and the hats? Splendid!!!

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling

gem

Thanks, all! What a lot of tremendous ideas!

One thing did occur to me... I've long had a recreation of this dress in mind:

I have it on a magnet on my fridge (and, in fact, until I just now posted that picture, I thought the whole bodice was black velvet--not just the guard. Surprise!). It would take *gads* of turquoise linen for the gown (this may require dyeing; I don't really see a deep period greeny-blue in stock right now), plus bunches more of the hanky linen for the camicia.

Part of the trouble is, I have quite a bit of fabric stockpiled and earmarked for projects already. I'm not sure I want to commit to anything in particular... but if I'm guided by choosing colors I already love (I have been drooling over their Wildcherry) for ages, I can't really go wrong.

I have this really weird attitude about "free" things (like this win, or gift cards, or whatnot). Instead of splurging on stuff I'd never spend my own money on, I get really careful, like I don't want to "waste" the bounty on something that may not work out well. I think that's totally bassackwards, but I can't seem to help myself! LOL

Cilean

Gem!

That would so work with your coloring, and if you get the Forrest you can dye it a little blue eh? I have often looked at this portrait, whatever happened to her eyelashes? LOL I love the soft roundness of her cheek.

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling

Anna Iram

I'm a little that way too Gem. I like to hold on to giftcards and dream about all the possibilities until one day the perfect thing comes to mind. That's part of the fun.

That gown will be lovely. I hope it comes together for you.