News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I stopped my subscription to Renaissance Magazine

Started by Obadiah Jib, June 22, 2008, 11:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knarlyknot

I, too, have often felt bad for the writers whose work is ripped apart by the nitpicking readers but then I remember that the publishers have ultimate control over what is printed so I think maybe they're just masochists.

I enjoy the wedding issues but I agree that once a year may be overkill.

I love the idea of more in depth reporting from various faires.  You should voice your opinions to those in charge of the magazine, you might just be able to shape the future of it.

DeadBishop

They've actually refused my offers of photos for different faires several times because they said "they had a photographer submitting images for that faire already".  I've yet to see the photos that were apparently submitted before my offers.

R/F.com member since 2003

Obadiah Jib

Glad I'm not alone on this one.  I'm even happier to know that we have other publications to choose from.  Perhaps they will address our passion better.
First Mate of the Portobello Rose.
I'm not the captain, I just dress better than he does.

groomporter

Bottom line though is, it is the major publication for our industry, so for all its faults...
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Emerald Shaunassey

Quote from: groomporter on June 23, 2008, 11:09:49 PM
Bottom line though is, it is the major publication for our industry, so for all its faults...

Ya know, it is to bad that the average Rennie (myself included) doesn't have the disposable income (or time) to start up a competitive national magazine for our industry.  Might just be the thing that's needed to shake things up at Ren Mag.  Competition is good for many industries.

IWG #979, IFRP #569, RMG # 614, Bard # 171.
Creator, Owner, & Manager of Williams Entertainment: Home of The Ladies of the Salty Kiss, The Shanty Lasses, Native Souls, & Grand Lake Renaissance Festival.

SirBlackFox

Publisher, Faire Magazine, The Concordium, & The Pyrates Way
Founder, FriendsofMDRF

Black'n McCrack

Marietta Graziella

I have had occasion to peruse many issues of this mag but have never purchased them.  I find them over filled with ads (for the price, there shouldn't be that many) and the content too repetitive. 

The wedding issue... yikes!  Again, you're paying how much for the magazine to begin with then an entire issue is completely useless to you...  Not good value for the price.  Why not a wedding "section" every couple of issues.  An insert, as has been suggested.

The whole thing just seems like a "Good ol' boys club" as far as published articles, photos, etc.   I would think the best view of a faire would come from someone who loves it and knows it well, not a visitor who only gets the surface image and couldn't possibly find all the charms to share and entice newcomers.

Ren Mag...?  Are you listening?!?
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

groomporter

Can't blame them too much for the number of ad. There general rule I've heard is that most periodicals need to be around about 1/2 advertising to be able to pay the bills.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

SirBlackFox

I try to keep advertisements to 40% in The Pyrates Way.  Right now, the postage to mail to subscribers is starting to catch up with the entire printing cost of the magazine. . . . all the costs involved are going up but I've been able to balance the books and not raise prices to either advertisers or subscribers through 2009.

I also try to coax the advertisers to come up with cool graphics and eye-popping visuals for their ads. . it eases the reader's pain! LOL
Founder, FriendsofMDRF

Black'n McCrack

Obadiah Jib

How about other suggestions that would "Help" Renaissance Magazine?  Do you have ideas?

I'd keep the history article but perhaps not so many per issue.  Add in things for Festies such a Faire reviews, dos and don't, and interviews with performers/ crafters/ and attendees.

Oh and I'd kill that weak comedic section where they take historical art and superimpose celebs on top with bad puns.  That monthly feature just stank!
First Mate of the Portobello Rose.
I'm not the captain, I just dress better than he does.

SirBlackFox

Quote from: Emerald Shaunassey on June 24, 2008, 12:40:40 AM

Ya know, it is to bad that the average Rennie (myself included) doesn't have the disposable income (or time) to start up a competitive national magazine for our industry.  Might just be the thing that's needed to shake things up at Ren Mag.  Competition is good for many industries.

Would a full color magazine with full features about different faires including prices, types of food and drink, and detailed info on where to stay in the area, what to expect, etc. . . be a good idea?  What if it included a part just for serious reenactors. . . and a vendor's area. . .and a garb-making area. . . and a feature on some interesting faire artists that you might not know about?  If it all came in a nice package every quarter for only about $6 an issue. . .would you be interested?

http://www.fairemagazine.com

Yes, I'm seriously thinking about such a project. . . if there's enough support from both renfaire enthusiasts and advertisers.
Founder, FriendsofMDRF

Black'n McCrack

renfairephotog

I'm sure there's interest form the renfaire enthusiasts. I don't know about advertisers. You have experience with that. And you have publication experience, I think thats something that  one of the previous attempts of another faire magazine lacked.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Athena

Quote from: Obadiah Jib on June 26, 2008, 10:35:47 PM
Oh and I'd kill that weak comedic section where they take historical art and superimpose celebs on top with bad puns.  That monthly feature just stank!

I agree! Totally lame and not funny at all, IMO.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Emerald Shaunassey

Quote from: SirBlackFox on June 26, 2008, 11:28:37 PM
Quote from: Emerald Shaunassey on June 24, 2008, 12:40:40 AM

Would a full color magazine with full features about different faires including prices, types of food and drink, and detailed info on where to stay in the area, what to expect, etc. . . be a good idea?  What if it included a part just for serious reenactors. . . and a vendor's area. . .and a garb-making area. . . and a feature on some interesting faire artists that you might not know about?  If it all came in a nice package every quarter for only about $6 an issue. . .would you be interested?

http://www.fairemagazine.com

Yes, I'm seriously thinking about such a project. . . if there's enough support from both renfaire enthusiasts and advertisers.

Black Fox darlin',
     You definately have *my* attention!  I'd gladly sign up in heartbeat for a subscription.  And .. I might be persuaded to be a roving photojournalist/writer for faires that I've either worked or attended.

Tell me more, oh great one!

Excitedly yours,
Emerald
... who's off to check out the weblink
IWG #979, IFRP #569, RMG # 614, Bard # 171.
Creator, Owner, & Manager of Williams Entertainment: Home of The Ladies of the Salty Kiss, The Shanty Lasses, Native Souls, & Grand Lake Renaissance Festival.

brier patch charlie

The answer to your question, for me is yes. I just let my subseption laps, last month. I got tired of nothing in there. But I due love the history articles .
Charles Coleman