News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What are some skills you think everyone should learn?

Started by Valiss, February 23, 2012, 10:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archer

Good list.  Can we add, how to make a rainbow ?   
Want a better world ?   Be a better person.

Every person is a new door to a different world.

Merlin the Elder

Hmph! I've got a hand load for my `06 that I can use on a milk jug, and get the same rainbow effect with a single shot.  :)
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

DonaCatalina

Something else came up this weekend by way of a friend....
Everyone should know how to turn the water off to their house in case the bottom drops out of the hot water heater.

You should also know how to shut off the breaker for said water heater.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Valiss

Agreed. At least, learn how to turn off the water behind the toilet so when it overflows one day, you can stop that asap.

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: DonaCatalina on February 27, 2012, 02:42:35 PM
Something else came up this weekend by way of a friend....
Everyone should know how to turn the water off to their house in case the bottom drops out of the hot water heater.

You should also know how to shut off the breaker for said water heater.

Actually, every water heater should have a shutoff valve at the heater itself, by code. Since you will generally be closer to the water heater when you determine it has ruptured, I'd go for that valve first, before going to the meter and turning it off there (and if you forget to take the proper wrench to the meter, you have to come back and find it...).

You will need to immediately turn off the electricity (likely at the box) or the gas (should be a valve at the water heater...you may need a wrench). Otherwise the empty, or near empty tank could get dangerously overheated. Some tanks have low-water shutoffs, but that is usually reserved for commercial-grade heaters.

Quote from: Valiss on February 27, 2012, 03:18:39 PM
Agreed. At least, learn how to turn off the water behind the toilet so when it overflows one day, you can stop that asap.
LOL! Can't count the number of times I've just yanked the lid off the tank and grabbed the float! Putting my face near the bowl as it prepares to come over the top just kinda doesn't suit me.  :P

Coch

I was impressed when my 16 year old daughter had a flat and changed it herself. But when asked where the flat tire was, she had left it beside the road because she did not know it could be repaired.  I guess the lesson given did not contain all the steps.
Rhys Coch

JimsDana

Everyone! Should know how to make a flamethrower!
I have had all of my children learn this!
Keep one can of aerosol anything (I use hair spray) in the bathroom cabinet, and (even if you do not smoke) a bic lighter.
Practice lighting the aerosol (outside), at times it can go foof! Or boom! Do not let this bother you, PRACTICE!
Run to the bathroom, they  (home invaders, est.) will think you are scared!
If you have the chance spray your attacker (1-2 seconds should do)! Then light the spray.

A can of wasp spray, in your vehicle, or by your front door, a nine-foot stream spray to the eyes!
While they are running, you call 911; any hospital will be looking for them!
Take my hand and walk with me through life, or send me in the general direction, then point and laugh!

Rani Zemirah

Most of the things I can think of have already been listed, except perhaps for the art (or skill) of negotiation.  Knowing how to negotiate a favorable deal in a trade situation, or even a work scenario, can be an invaluable tool to posses when you have something someone needs, and vice versa.  Particularly if the other party isn't much interested in being fair. 

I think knowing how to spin fiber and weave, knit or crochet the result is a good skill to posses, as well, particularly when it starts getting cold... 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Merlin the Elder

We use JD's version of a flame thrower to light large quantities of bottle rockets, say 2-300, filling a large coffee can. Makes a nice, reasonably cheap display.

KeeperoftheBar

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on February 28, 2012, 05:15:17 AM
Most of the things I can think of have already been listed, except perhaps for the art (or skill) of negotiation.  Knowing how to negotiate a favorable deal in a trade situation, or even a work scenario, can be an invaluable tool to posses when you have something someone needs, and vice versa.  Particularly if the other party isn't much interested in being fair. 

Along these lines, people should learn confilict resolution (besides shooting, stabbing or choking).  Now a days so many people are getting shot because of stupid actions.  Just the other day, in Houston, a guy was shot and killed because of the song he did at a kareoke club.
Shooting people should be reserved for important crimes, like horse thieves and stealing Teach's rum.

Also basic gun safety is a must to learn.  Especially how to check a weapon and make it safe.
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

Archer

Gloves, optional but recommended.  :P  

Add jello to extend lighting time to withdraw.   Don't look at it impact or burn if you wish to maintain night vision.   :P

Want a better world ?   Be a better person.

Every person is a new door to a different world.

Anna Iram

To balance that out with something ...well...at least on the wholesome and harmless side of crazy...I give you Martha Stewart and her "something":

http://www.marthastewart.com/268774/how-to-fold-a-t-shirt

For me it's proper table manners (amazing how many people chew with their mouth open or hold their utensils with their fist ) and really proper manners all around, suitable to the culture youl are in. Good manners will open doors.

Ferret

The ability to say no.

No explanation, no regret, no weaseling or doing something you don't want to do.

Just the simple grace to say no.

Ferret

Anna Iram

Good one. I know I'd rather hear a simple no than watch a friend turn him/ herself inside out over my request. Makes me feel more respected.

Merlin the Elder