News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What are some skills you think everyone should learn?

Started by Valiss, February 23, 2012, 10:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archer

Want a better world ?   Be a better person.

Every person is a new door to a different world.

BLAKDUKE

I have not read all the posts in this thread, but I will go with making change in a store without the computer register telling you how to do it.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Merlin the Elder

Good luck with that, Blakduke. The computers went down at a local McDonald's, and they resorted to selling only items on the $1 list so that they could calculate the sales tax. It seems no one knows how to multiply without a calculator anymore. Really sad!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Rowan MacD

How to recognize whether or not fruits and berries are edible and ripe, and how to recognize poisonous plants and insects.
  Basic skills for dealing with strange dogs, and a respect for all wildlife.  That raccoon/skunk/squirrel does not want to petted, and the fact that you can get that close is not a good sign.  Livestock would also fit into this category.

Basic scouting skills would save a lot of bellyaches, dangerous diseases and rashes, and help everyone be less afraid of nature.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

JimsDana

Take my hand and walk with me through life, or send me in the general direction, then point and laugh!

Merlin the Elder

LOL! I had the same problem with my wife until we got an ice-maker!

JimsDana

Take my hand and walk with me through life, or send me in the general direction, then point and laugh!

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on March 06, 2012, 08:22:50 PM

I can just picture an Au Pair girl standing beside the fridge ready to make ice at a moment's notice.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: DonaCatalina on March 07, 2012, 04:59:01 AM
Quote from: Merlin the Elder on March 06, 2012, 08:22:50 PM

I can just picture an Au Pair girl standing beside the fridge ready to make ice at a moment's notice.
Hmmm... clothed? ... Sorry. My mind is going in weird directions today.

Bob of the Lake

How to tie basic knots. I'd start with the square knot, bowline, two half-hitches, taunt line, and sheet bend.
I came, I saw, I skipped to my lou.
            - Hammy the Squirrel

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Bob of the Lake on March 08, 2012, 12:23:37 PM
How to tie basic knots. I'd start with the square knot, bowline, two half-hitches, taunt line, and sheet bend.
I can do the square, a granny, and a hangmans noose. Don't know what the others are.

Auryn

Just as important as know how to tie different knots is the knowledge of when you should choose one knot over another
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Merlin the Elder

I know a few that could use the hangman's noose... :P

Sitara

Tact. There are far too many people in the world who don't even seem to know what tact is. Now don't get me wrong, I am not referring to being PC, but having some sensitivity and diplomacy.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

Rani Zemirah

I know how to tie a mast head knot, so that if all your rigging is swept overboard during a storm, but you still have a mast, you can re-rig enough sail to limp into port (or hang 3 people at a time, Merlin).  ;D

Oh yeah... AND I can tie a square knot, bowline, two half-hitches, taut line, and sheet bend.  (I try to keep my "taunt" lines for wayward wizards, however...)  ;)
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede