News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Sleeve Eye Candy thread

Started by gem, July 18, 2012, 03:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ms Trish

Quote from: Lady Gregory on September 17, 2012, 07:35:41 PM
Just gorgeous.  Do you happen to have a full frontal pic of the garb with the sleeves attached?  Would love to see how they look next to the epaulets.
There's photos in the finished items thread.
If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!

Lady Gregory

Quote from: Ms Trish on September 17, 2012, 07:46:35 PM
Quote from: Lady Gregory on September 17, 2012, 07:35:41 PM
Just gorgeous.  Do you happen to have a full frontal pic of the garb with the sleeves attached?  Would love to see how they look next to the epaulets.
There's photos in the finished items thread.

Thank you.  Off to look.

gem

Ran across this fabulous Cranach portrait earlier today. Check out the patchwork sleeves!

gem

Princess Marguerite of Angouleme, Jean Clouet 1525:

There is a much larger HUGE version here, where you can clearly see the dark blue velvet of her gown fabric, as well as the lovely delicate blackwork of her chemise sleeves (which have some really interesting seaming).

I need to find a larger image, if I can, to better see the detail. But I love the overall impression--how the body of the gown is relatively simple, to better show of those completely over-the-top sleeves!  (Think how heavy they must be! I wonder what the back of the bodice looks like, to keep the sleeves from completely slipping down her arms. I'm thinking it must be nearly straight across the back of her neck, not scooping down like the front.)

gem

Time for a bump!

And just for good measure, here's that strange Netherlandish gown again:

I have some salmon pink wool/silk and some dark blue/teal velveteen in my stash, just waiting...  :D

DonaCatalina

Not my work, but it is a stunning interpretation.

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

A Gown I must make for myself this fall! In a Blood Red Dupioni Silk with contrast Brocade in Golds, Reds, and Blacks. And those sleeves??????

"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

gem

Francesca DC

Will be posting *new * sleeves soon....debut at MIRF tomorrow.
Do not lead me into temptation, I'll find it all by myself.

gem

This is a detail from Jacob Cornelisz van Oostsanen's (1470-1533) Cavalry (large view of full image here):

Look at the size of those green velvet hanging sleeves!! I thought the fur ones in this painting were ginormous, but they look downright skimpy in comparison.

The man's sleeves are also pretty impressive! (As is his whole Landsknecht-style ensemble, actually, down to a great example of the "starfish" hat.)

DonaCatalina

Gem, you might like these sleeves

Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

gem

Dona C, what a curious image--that's the portrait of Elizabeth of Austria that has the partlet Rowen wants to make, but in this version she's wearing Eleanora di Toledo's dress. Where did you find it?

The girl in the second image is so cute!

DonaCatalina

\ http://www.dolldivine.com/the-tudors-scene-maker.php
\
Apparently the original portrait is in Spain. La reina Isabel, poco después de su boda; con diecisiete años. (About 17 years old)
http://dinastias.crearforo.es/isabel-de-austria-una-reina-olvidada-t1593-48.html
The fabric is not exactly the same as the famous Eleanor de Toledo portrait but very similar.
Apparently there are many many portraits of Isabel de Austria that are not well known.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Rowan MacD

The closeups of the bodice jewelry are some of the best I've seen.

This portrait also seems to support the use of faux poufs on the sleeves...the way the fabric 'pulls' and wrinkles on the oversleeve under and around some of the sleeve poufs are just a bit off.
    Makes sense. It takes forever to get all the puffs just so.  It is why my poufs come off with my sleeves ^_^.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Rani Zemirah

To my extremely untrained eye, this would appear to be the same partlet worn with two different gowns.  Perhaps it was a particular favorite? 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede