News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Jewelry components?

Started by gem, June 27, 2008, 04:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

I'm wondering where to find the pieces (strands of pearls, findings, etc) to make different bits of jewelry, things like the billament trim on Tudor necklines (like what Kimiko Small has, here.) or the larger brooches or pendants, like  Sapphire and Sage makes. (another shot).

I haven't seen any of these bigger pieces in any local shops (Michaels, JoAnn, and Hobby Lobby all have fairly decent beading/jewelry making sections, and they have nothing like this), or online--tho' I know I haven't exhausted my online resources.  All I can find locally are *tiny* pieces.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

isabelladangelo

A C Moore or Michaels does have strands of freshwater pearls.  I just bought about five strands at Michaels a couple of weeks ago.  They come in a wide variety of sizes.  Most are 16" strands.  Look near the Blue Moon Gems.  For the gold; look for "gold findings".  I typically find them at Michaels or A C Moore but I've seen some nice findings at Joanns before too.  You probably have to glue a couple of findings together to get that look on to a gold surface.

mieljolie

You may have to assemble the parts yourself, if you go the craft store route.  They usually sell the back and jewels separately.  

You might try thriftstores, garage sales, etc. for something like the last example.  You'd be surprised what you find.  Otherwise just keep your eyes open for them at jewelry stores.
Royal Order of Landsharks - Guppy No. 85

lady serena

I posted some links in the crafter section of the forum. I would suggest www.firemountain.com for most of the components.
Guppy # 81
Fins up

theatrekat

you can also try :

www.artbeads.com
www.fusionbeads.com
www.jewelrysupply.com

the first two have a free shipping option, and the third has some swarovski beads that i cannot find on other sites.

but for the types of beads i tend to buy all these sites price them at about 1/3 of the price that they are in any craft or bead stores.

-kat

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

he jewelry pieces and 8mm glass pearls used for the French Hood and neckline of Lady Delaney's Tudor gown were ordered from www.sapphireand sage.com and www.firemountaingems.com

I used an invisible jewelry thread to string everything together,then to secure it all down.

I do not advise using acrylic beads for embellishing garb due to the fact that they do not hold up well when garb may need to be drycleaned.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

nliedel

Buy enough from Fire Mountain, get a discount. I love them. Too bad I can't have sparklies. Darn middle class, anyway :)
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

operafantomet

If you come across multiple earclips or the likes at second hand store, flee market, auction or similar, you can get big quantities for a low price. The colour seldom matters (it's incredible what can be achieved with gold paint and "gems"), it's the shape that's important.

Jennifer Thompson bought some earclip stuff stuff for her Venetian courtesan girdle. She duplicated it in polymer clay, painted them + attached gems, and they look quite lovely. You can read about it there:
http://www.festiveattyre.com/research/venetian/index.html

My late uncle loved fleemarkets and auctions, and he bought tons of bijouterie/jewellery/stash for a low price. I always turned to him when I had a costume project, and after he died I also inherited some lovely stuff. I got around 15 pairs of tacky earclips with fake gems, and once I cut off the earclip-thing and attached them to a grand costume project of mine, they actually looked very cool:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/elissa/details/elissahem.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/elissa/details/elissaskirt1.jpg

DonaCatalina

I knew a lady who made the chain girdles for people in the SCA. She would shop thrift stores and flea markets for metal fasion belts and ressemble the components. She made quite a few 'collars of office' in the same way.
Chain Fashion belt
Other Chain Fashion belt
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The Chain of Office I fashioned for the Earl was made from enamel pieces from Bracelts I bought for $4 on sale at JCPenny 5 years ago, with 6mm pearls and teardrops pearls I tore off a Christmas ornament. Tje jewelry wire is still holding up nicely.

"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Lady Anne Clare

I have a quick question, Would nylon "invisible" thread hold a girdle together if it was just made of small acrylic pearls? 

I made one last night from the fake pearl stash I had, not even thinking about if it would hold the weight or eventually snap during the day.  But I thought wire would be to rigid.  I used twill tape on the ends and they will be held together with a nice little pearl and gold pin I discovered in my jewelry stash.  I too had problems finding lovely jewels locally so I opted to go with what I had.

Here's a pic to give an idea of size.
I love historical sewing for the lack of zippers ;)

Baroness Doune

Cilean

Check around where you are because I go to a Gem show and I get fresh water pearls that are round and slightly not and on the last day of the event, I dicker like mad.  I get strands for $1.00, now I have many sizes now, and I get as many as 40 strands at a time.

I used to hear that hobbylobby has some awesome peices, but they are not in California so I can't tell you.

Good Luck
Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

operafantomet

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on June 29, 2008, 11:34:02 AM

The Chain of Office I fashioned for the Earl was made from enamel pieces from Bracelts I bought for $4 on sale at JCPenny 5 years ago, with 6mm pearls and teardrops pearls I tore off a Christmas ornament.
Christmas ornaments is another great resource!  :)

Amyj

I have gotten a ton of stuff inexpensively at the local "Trading Company" stores...some people call them the Chinese shops...Lots of cheap costume jewelry to take apart and reconfigure to your likes!  As for clear nylon thread...I wouldn't use it.  I did and had a necklace burst mid-day at faire.  Now I use the metal "tiger wire".  I holds up better.  Can't wait to see pictures of the finished projects!
I'm not fat, it's just that a skinny body couldn't hold ALL THIS PERSONALITY! ;)
Historically Accur-ISH