News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Not Allowed Any More New Projects. Who's with me?!

Started by gem, October 10, 2012, 05:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Baroque fashions for Women.....

Extent gown or no, the embellishment of the Pink Baroque gown is stunning none the less. The correct lines detail the design designates the latter 1600's into the early 1700's that led  into the Roccoco Period.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Rani Zemirah

Oh, goodness... lets not even get started on Rococo!!!  There is just too much to love, there!  Talk about over the top!!!
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

isabelladangelo

On my list for next year (already!)

18th Century Court Gown - because it's necessary and it's purple and pink. 

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

THAT gown would be stunning on you, Isabella! Go for it!

As for the Baroque gown, I have a lovely Peach Taffeta that would be perfect. The contrast color I want to find in a Rust, with Antique Ivory laces.

A friend of mine in New Jersey is sending me 2 big boxes of Bridal trims her late mother saved from over 65 years ago when she worked in the Garment District of New York City. Some of the trims my friend says have yellowed with age to look more Crème than White. Truly Vintage trims for a Vintage piece. She asked NOTHING for all the trims, just reimbursed for the shipping.

I will post photos of this new treasure. I am also thinking Victorian/Edwardian pieces  as well.

Rani Zemirah

Ooooh... I am so envious!   I need some of those for my mini top hats! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I will have to see what I can spare from that new stash for you, Rani.

Rani Zemirah

Oh, seriouslyy?!?  That would be amazing!  If you have anything not earmarked for a project I would be all kinds of happy to give it a home, and I would definitely have to make you something special to show my appreciation!  :) 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Rani Zemirah

Oh... now I'am all atwitter!!!  :o  Well, you just let me know if there is anything you would like to send my way, and I will find something fun to put it on!  That's a promise!  :)
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Rani Zemirah

Sooo, ummm... I was kind of bad today.  I HAD to go to Hancock's, because it's their Labor Day sale, and there were things I need that were more than half off, and I had a 50% off coupon and a 20% off total purchase coupon!  I HAD to use them!  :P  And I've been wanting to make something warm for my daughter and I to wear at night while camping at TRF this All Hallows, since it tends to get downright chilly down there at night!  I've settled on this as the style, since it's hooded, and will come down far enough to keep us warm, along with our skirts and leggings.  I found some polar fleece for $3.98 yd, and bought 1.5 yds of it for my daughter's Nomad, and I will be using it for the lining with a heavy drapery-weight woven (from my stash) over it... and then I found the most beautiful burnt orange medium drapery-weight woven (not sure of content, because it was a remnant, but it's a synthetic blend, I know) with a very slight nap, almost like a micro-suede, except that it's got a very obvious weave to it.  It feels almost like a chenille, but it doesn't have any of the messy chenille fuzz when I pull a thread out of the cut.  I have no idea what it is... but I LOVE it!  And I got 4 yards of it for $3 yd!  I'll use 2 yds of it for my Nomad cloak, then find something lovely to do with the other 2 yds!  I wish they'd had more... I would have bought it all! 

Here's the orange...

It's actually really soft, and it drapes beautifully!  It feels like it will be easy to work with, also!  I now have to find just the perfect trim to go with it, though...  LOL 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

LadyStitch

I have been both good and bad this week.  I was good in that for the theater I rescued an old skirt that needed a new waist band, and a good wash, and I turned it into an amazing bustled skirt for an actress.  I was also good in that I found 5.5 yards of a satin back micro sude that matched a 1.5 yard of upholstery from my stash, and I'm making a bodice and skirt out of that. Yay me! 

Bad me ! I just placed a large order from Cleanersupply.com for all kinds of notions.  I'm sorry I was weak, and got bulk buttons, interfacing, lining, and large cone thread.  I only went on there to get 1 large spool of thread and zippers. 
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Rani Zemirah

I was bad... soooo very bad.  I found 14 yds of the prettiest (and most impractical) orange/gold costume weight satin today at Walmart... for $1 yd!!!  I bought it all, and got it for only $12, because the last two yds have a tiny spot of sticky adhesive on the fold from the awful clearance tags they use!  I'm going to make a tiered skirt with it, all gathered and ruffled!!!  :D  I just couldn't help myself... 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

gem

Rani, love the orange! Can't wait to see those Nomads!!

Well, WHEW. Milord has FINALLY pinned down exactly what he wants in a new green shirt. This started THREE SEASONS AGO, when he saw this shirt at Ophelia's, but it only came in one size and didn't fit. He SAID what he liked was the more fitted look & straight sleeves. OK.

I found the fabric. I found a couple of patterns. I've been working on mockups--but they require alterations I'm not 100% sure how to make, so I keep setting it aside.

But now he's looking at other green shirts--traditional peasant shirts--at Fair, and asking when his shirt will be done. I tried to quiz him about whether he wanted the fitted, straight-sleeved shirt I was trying to make, or just a regular shirt like I've made him before. He didn't seem to understand the question!  ??? I showed him photos. He still didn't get it.

FINALLY, today, he was wearing a dark blue shirt he NEVER wears, and said, "Hey, this is really comfortable! I wonder why I never wear it." And later, "I think I really like this one. Could you make this one?"  I quizzed him a little, and finally: "Ok, yes: Just make me another one just like this!"

Me: "I can totally do that." THANK GOD!  He had to walk around in the shirt for four hours to figure out what he wanted, but I can use a pattern that already fits him well, add the lacing details that he likes for the sleeves and cuffs, and call it good!

Rani Zemirah

YAY!  Sounds like the New Green Shirt is well on it's way to becoming a Finished Project! 

Some people just don't like to be rushed into making up their minds...  ;)  heheh

I think I really should try and get a photo of the orange-y/yellow/gold satin, just to see if my camera can capture it!  It's amazing!  And it's LOUD!!!  lol  My daughter was appalled... but I fell in love with it! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Rani Zemirah

Oh, my goodness!  I completely forgot my Find Of The Century!!!  I was at a yard sale a couple of weeks ago, and stumbled upon a piece of cardboard with somewhere between 15-20 YARDS of the most amazing gold bullion fringe wrapped around it!  The fringe, itself, is 5 inches long, and staggered in a chevron pattern on a 3 inch chevron patterned braid, all in pale gold.  It's not all in perfect condition, but most of it is usable...and I paid $2 for it ALL! 

I also found a bunch of upholstery samples in 2' x 2' squares, and I believe I'm going to use those in a patchwork as the 2nd side of my nomad cloak, and quilt it all together.  I might even have to use some of the fringe in there, somewhere, as well...  :o 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede