News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What about living in your city is nothing like the TV/movies?

Started by Valiss, April 03, 2013, 09:42:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: BLAKDUKE on April 04, 2013, 06:39:04 PM
In New York City most residents think anywhere above White Plains is Indian country.  I was asked once, after the person heard I was from NY,  Oh do you know so and so.  Like there are only 25 million residents in the state I should know this one person.  JEEEEEZZ............

LOL! Yeah... My son teaches in Brooklyn. Someone asked me, "Does he know...?"  Funny thing, though. We were walking near St Pat's, and my son ran into a friend from back home in Little Rock. Go figure.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Gauwyn of Bracknell

When I was in NY City years ago, someone in a shop asked since they knew by our 'accent' knew we were not from there asked where. When i said Iowa, she leaned in and said "oh, honey,  out here we pronounce that O-hi-o.  I figured, yep, they probably did.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on April 04, 2013, 08:23:28 PM
When I was in NY City years ago, someone in a shop asked since they knew by our 'accent' knew we were not from there asked where. When i said Iowa, she leaned in and said "oh, honey,  out here we pronounce that O-hi-o.  I figured, yep, they probably did.
LOL
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

LadyFae

Unlike what you see on Little House on the Prairie and Picket Fences- around here the grass is not always green with leaves on the trees up until Christmas.  Not every time it snows is it a blizzard.
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Bob of the Lake

Northern New Jersey. And most of us don't spend our days working on our abs, tans, or hair, and the rest of us aren't connected with the mob.
I came, I saw, I skipped to my lou.
            - Hammy the Squirrel

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Bob of the Lake on April 05, 2013, 12:57:50 PM
Northern New Jersey. And most of us don't spend our days working on our abs, tans, or hair, and the rest of us aren't connected with the mob.

About that favour you asked me for....

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on April 04, 2013, 08:23:28 PM

NO WAY!

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: Bob of the Lake on April 05, 2013, 12:57:50 PM

I'm originally from NJ but for the past 17 years have lived in the Midwest.  People hear my accent and ask where I'm from.  When I say NJ, they inevitably say "New Joy-see."  Really, people from NJ don't pronounce it like that!!!!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Merlin the Elder

I think that's more an affectation from areas of NYC, isn't it, Lady Renee? ...I can't tell you which one. I'd need to confer with my son...

BLAKDUKE

Merlin:

yes "youze guys" and "toity toid" st are mainly NYC accents.

It's like "pahk the cah"  in Boston.

The Blakduke
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Gauwyn of Bracknell

I did go to college with a guy from Paramus and his did refer to it as joisey - maybe he was being facetious, but that is how he said it.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

cowgrrl

We do say y'all but I hear a lot of people trying to do a Southern accent trip up on that word. It's just "y'all", not "y'aaalllll". It takes about the same length of time to say as 'you'.

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Valiss on April 04, 2013, 09:40:05 AM
Quote from: DonaCatalina on April 04, 2013, 04:53:45 AM
Neither we nor my neighbors have oilwells or cattle. The last family ranch was sold off about 5 years ago for a developer to build ranchettes for Yankees.

Do you guys really say "y'all" all the time though?
yep.
and I am fixin' to tell ya'll about it.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Meagan

Something I find funny. I never say y'all, and I am not fixin' to do anything. I do not speak with a heavy southern/Texas accent at all, but I DO live across the street from a cattle ranch and there is a gas well behind our property.

arbcoind

Pittsburgh PA

Steelers/Penguins/Pirates fans are way more rabid than shown on TV or Movies.  We BLEED black and gold.  Do not come to our town and diss on the Black and Gold...do not wear another teams jersey.  Do not deface the Terrible Towel....EVER...Oh and we hate Cleveland Ohio, not sure why, but we just have to.  It is never totally sunny here.  If we get a day that is completely clear without a cloud in the sky, we go NUTS.

We say "yinz" instead of y'all.

"Yinz goin' dan dat Stillers game an at?" 

I could go on, but I think everyone here who has met a true yinzer gets the point.

Gina

Dissension

Quote from: DonaCatalina on April 04, 2013, 04:53:45 AM
Neither we nor my neighbors have oilwells or cattle. The last family ranch was sold off about 5 years ago for a developer to build ranchettes for Yankees.

It's ok.  We all have successful acting careers on the TV show, "Dallas", now.  Let the damn yankees do all the hard work on the ranches.  Suckers!