News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Cups for Kids

Started by jmkhalfmoon, July 07, 2008, 02:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GirlChris

Quote from: Valiss on July 08, 2008, 05:54:48 PM
To be sure, the one mug that won't break is a metel tankard.  If you wrap the handle in leather, you can put hot liquids in it too.

My boyfriend's mug "Lumpy" would like to disagree with you.

That photo's from last year. I don't think the handle's actually even attached anymore, and I know that the lip has several spots that could cut you if you're not careful. Metal tankards CAN break, and when they do you end up with a sharp hunk of metal. Never underestimate how destructive a kid can be!

Valiss

Quote from: GirlChris on July 09, 2008, 09:36:43 PM
Quote from: Valiss on July 08, 2008, 05:54:48 PM
To be sure, the one mug that won't break is a metel tankard.  If you wrap the handle in leather, you can put hot liquids in it too.

My boyfriend's mug "Lumpy" would like to disagree with you.

That photo's from last year. I don't think the handle's actually even attached anymore, and I know that the lip has several spots that could cut you if you're not careful. Metal tankards CAN break, and when they do you end up with a sharp hunk of metal. Never underestimate how destructive a kid can be!

That is hilarious!  Perhaps I have been buying thicker mugs as I've closed mine in a car door and that was not a scratch.

CatAshtrophy

With any metal mug, do be extra careful that it was not meant to be a decorative item because it could have lead. Be very careful that the mug is lead free so that it can be safe to drink from.

jmkhalfmoon

That's great advice for everyone!  I looked online last night and saw that a lot of the pewter mugs also contained lead...scary.

I like the idea of the plastic mugs with the gems...this could be a fun activity to do with my little lady and she will have more pride of ownership. 

dspotz

I found small metal mugs at Goodwill last year. The only thing is they have a clear plastic bottom. The bottom could be painted or covered somehow to make it look more authentic though.

gypsylakat

Quote from: newbiehere on July 07, 2008, 03:31:31 PM
Quote from: gem on July 07, 2008, 03:11:46 PM
My pewter mugs are HEAVY.  Probably a lot heavier than a six-year-old would want to carry around (tho' certainly not as heavy as ceramic!).  I second the recommendation to try a thrift store, but look for brass or silverplate.  Even better--check out antique stores for old cordial sets/cups, like these.

That is a great idea!  I think I'll have to find my daughter one of those!

What? you mean you haven't made her a tabistry chainmail mug-cover? lol (i was really tired last night and came up with the term tabistry for weaving (tapestry) and tabs (self explanatory) i was very very tired... ) 
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Valiss

Holy crap, a chainmail mug cover?  I like that idea!

peggyelizabeth

Quote from: jmkhalfmoon on July 11, 2008, 11:04:17 AM
  I looked online last night and saw that a lot of the pewter mugs also contained lead...scary.

You can pick up a simple lead test at the hardware store, usually in the paint section, that works great on pewter items. I have a beautiful hammered pewter pitcher that I go secondhand and I wasn't sure if it was safe to drink from or not, so I got the lead test and checked both the main body and the solders, just to be sure.

mieljolie

Quote from: gypsylakat on July 11, 2008, 12:35:57 PM

What? you mean you haven't made her a tabistry chainmail mug-cover? lol (i was really tired last night and came up with the term tabistry for weaving (tapestry) and tabs (self explanatory) i was very very tired... ) 

lol!  I should, shouldn't I?!  Should keep the drink nice and cold!  I actually pondered making a holder to hang one from her strap.  BTW, love the name "Tabistry".  May I use it on my blog?

We actually were digging through my junk boxes full of nic nacs, yesterday, and found my wooden treasure box with these in it.  Totally forgot about them.  Mom is trying to claim the tall one.  I think the small one would be great for Jeudi.  Not sure if it is safe, though.  Anyone know how to tell?  (duh, I can't read)  I used to put tea lights in it.

Royal Order of Landsharks - Guppy No. 85

gypsylakat

Yeah go ahead and use it lol I thought you would like it. I love how you spell your little ones name
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

ladyecho

i got my grandnieces cup at a consignment shop for 3 dollars, and i got mine there for 2 dollars. But not at the same time, i got mine first and then a year later found hers.