News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Garb and carring camera's

Started by Capt Gabriela Fullpepper, July 10, 2008, 03:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RumbaRue

I have the very same problem, a big Sony SLR camera that won't fit into anything and it's heavy.
Most of the time I just sling it over my shoulder and carry it and like Sealion does and try to pretend it's not there.

I plan on buying a more slimmer, compact digital camera at some point so that I can fit it into my pockets that I have sewn in practically every piece of garb I have.

But a basket is probably the best solution for now as you really don't want those big heavy cameras hanging off your belt, it will really hurt your back.
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

gypsylakat

well if you're fairly rememberful you  could shove it in a basket and then stick it behind your skirts for pictures, or under your skirts they are voluminous with hoops..
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

tigrlily64

Ah, I wish I had your problem.  I'm stucky with my small, shiny (read cheap, crappy) camera for now.  So far, to me it seems like your best bets would be to a) ignore it, b) find an appropriate leather shoulder bag or c) hire a servant/ bribe Toki. =)

Andunie

I wouldn't trust an SLR to anything that wasn't designed to hold its weight. Perhaps an ordinary SLR bag covered in matching fabric?

eloquentXI

I'm planning on getting some type of heavy-duty leather messenger type bag and just not go period, because it'll put too much weight on my belt and I've yet to find any hard leather pouches that are large enough. Thankfully, being a cross between a gypsy, wench, and a wanderer, I can pull off having things outside the norm with my garb.

A friend of mine, Lady Stalkwell, gave me a great pointer during Scarby. Should you use a camera bag specific to SLRs or the like, a smart thing to do would be to take off anything that shows the brand of camera bag (Lowerpro, Case Logic) as it's a shiny beacon to any passing theives.
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

verymerryseamstress

Lady Delaney, hi!

(Your new gown is stunning, BTW!)  Drop me a line via my regular email address.  I think I have a bit of very sturdy gold and burgundy upholstery fabric that matches your gown *perfectly* that I could fashion into a bag for you.  I just need you to send me your mailing addy and I'll get that right out to you as soon as I hear from you.  :-)
I'm your very merry seamstress.  How may I help you?

AnyuBoo

We also have one of those "monster" DSLRs.  :) But we decided that it's just too much weight and worry keeping it safe, so we simply invested in a couple of compact digital cameras (one for me and one for hubby to carry).  Even in their protective cases, they easily fit into a pouch on our belts.
When everything seems to be coming your way...
...you're in the wrong lane!

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

The problem with the little digital cameras, they in no way can take the pictures a consumer-pro or pro DSLR can do. This weekend was a great example of that with Toki and I heading to Cheyenne Frontier days. The pictures I got from the day are fantastic (Not in my words but others who saw them already what I took) I managed to take over 600 shots most from the rodeo and Native American village and their spectacular costumes of brilliant vibrant colors and capturing them in sequances (both dancers and rodeo). The rodeo I was easily 100+ yards away and you can see expressions on the crowds faces as well as the dust flying from the bulls, bronces, steers, and everything. I have tried two other digital cameras (non-DSLR's) while mine was in the shop and for some reason I just could not get the pictures with those that compare to my DSLR. I am working to get them on my web site and posted ASAP but when you are sorting over 600 pictures, it's not easy.

I will gladly carry my DSLR even if it means the weight.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

CountessofPhoenix

How about covering your camera strap with a complimentary fabric, and fashioning a bag attached to the strap to cover the camera? Could even make slits in bag for the lens, view screen and buttons, and buttons, or velcro flaps over them. If you attached everything to your current strap, you wouldn't have to worry about it being strong enough. Or a shawl to cover current set-up.
Countess of Phoenix
Descendant of Celtic Nobility
Designer Extraordinaire
We are only limited by what we can dream

Knevolin

I have an SLR too (Nikon D-70) and being garbed as a warrior I've yet to come up with any ideas of how to conceal it.  More often than not, I just don't carry it at all... which is a drag, 'cause I'd really like to take more pictures!
Visit my profile on - links not allowed in signatures -  Admin

Celtic Lady

I know that it may not be appropriate to state this but since cameras weren't around back then you may as well just carry it the bag that you normally carry it in if you are wanting to take photos while at faire. I do agree that if you have the means to cover the bag with fabric or something to match your garb and it matters to you then do it. otherwise for the protection of your camera use the proper carrying bag for it.

Brother Robert of Essex

There must be a bag of some sort like a shoulder bag style thing that people carried stuff in back then?   The belt pouches seem to flat for anything but maybe a wallet.

I have been wondering how to conceal gadgets myself - though in Monk attire I think I could just hide it all under my robe ( though getting it back out without having to yank my robe up to my hips to reach my pockets might be an issue..)

CountessofPhoenix

My husband's monk robe had an opening in each side seam so he could reach through to his jeans pockets. Easy to do, even if you purchase your robe, just open the side seams a little and whip the open side down inside like you would a hem.
Countess of Phoenix
Descendant of Celtic Nobility
Designer Extraordinaire
We are only limited by what we can dream

Merry

Quote from: CountessofPhoenix on July 30, 2008, 04:06:30 PM
How about covering your camera strap with a complimentary fabric, and fashioning a bag attached to the strap to cover the camera? Could even make slits in bag for the lens, view screen and buttons, and buttons, or velcro flaps over them. If you attached everything to your current strap, you wouldn't have to worry about it being strong enough. Or a shawl to cover current set-up.

This seems to me to be the best idea yet.  It shouldn't be too difficult to cover the strap.  Doing a custom cover for the case may be more challenging, but definately worth the trouble.