News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Can I come and play?

Started by ladyhawke, July 18, 2008, 11:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladyhawke

Ok...so I am apologizing now, because with kids running around, my post timed out and all was lost...so I am doing it a second time, very quickly.

Hi!  I am a newbie that has been lurking for a couple of weeks now on the RF forums.  My husband and I went to our first fair in February while we were in Florida, with my mother-in-law and two daughters, 6 and 3.  We had a great time and could not wait to investigate fairs in our neck of the woods, New England.  From what I have read, it is much more fun to be a playtron!  So, I am currently trying to put together our outfits (not really characters at this point) for the Sterling Ren Fest. We are going for the Finale weekend with two other couples and staying for the whole weekend, without the kids!  (Plus, my husband is a longtime d&d guy, and the fact that I am so fired up for this is really exciting to him!)
Anyway, I have a few questions to start with...and please bear with me I am so confused!  I am not looking to be completely h/a, but enough so that we would garner respect as we walk around...ok...maybe not respect, I just don't want to be snickered at.  I am also taking into consideration the hot weather and colors I like.  I am thinking, bar wench or merchant class.  Currently, I am looking at bodices and chemises with skirts.  I am hoping to buy things I can build upon...I do not sew.  So, the skirts, is it better to have one skirt, a couple skirts to hike one up or an overskirt?  If you have an overskirt do you need a hoop?  I am feeling a little pressure, because if I am buying something (ebay) I need to make decisions soon to have everything in time
Thanks in advance for you help.  I am so happy you all seem really nice!   :)
It's going to be fun!
Laurie
Ladyhawke

GirlChris

Hi, Laurie! Welcome to the boards!

The answer to most of your questions is "whatever you think looks good." I personally like having just one skirt and a long chemise. The two skirts with one hiked up is very popular, but it's not necessary. No one will laugh at you if you only wear one, no one will laugh if you wear two. I've even seen just a bodice over an ankle length opaque chemise. It still looked good.

You don't have to wear a hoop, especially since that's usually considered an "upper class" thing. But if you want one, go for it!

It's all about feeling comfortable in what you're wearing. And to that end, you'll probably want to look for things made from natural fibers like cotton or linen- polyester and fabrics ending in "-on" tend to be really hot and uncomfortable when you're in the sun all day.

Dirtfarmer

I think that you have a good 'tude... it is a building process and a learning process.  Simply put, a good look for a new lady would be the 2-skirt look with one hiked up, a cotton chemise, a bodice and a flat hat or straw hat would be fine to start.  As you go more, you'll develop a look you want and adjust by adding this and that over time.  Try to stick with natural materials, if possible.  You'll probably want some kind of belt and pouch to hold your belongings too.

Remember, most of the people who go to faire on a day to day basis (prob. 65 to 70%) are there to visit for 1 time a year and really don't know what is h/a and what isn't.  Another 10% to 20% of those that are regulars can tell the difference between cast and paytrons, but still really don't know, or care if they are h/a... many are fantasy based (D&D based in many cases) and the remainder may know, but should never ever snicker.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Hi Ladyhawke and welcome to the fourm.

It really all depends upon the look you want to create for yourself. Personally when I do wench out I do not where a hoop skirt/fathingale. I do however where a chemise, a corset, two skirts, my bodice and a long leather belt and maybe scarves along withthe belt (Belt over scarves). I will then pull up one or both sides depending on my mood and tuck them into my belt. You can also purchase skirt hikes (holders not sure of name).

I was messing around last night and tired a stripped chemice (Pirate looking) with flared sleeves and lace on them. I put on my corset, a red skirt, a navy bodice then hiked only 1 skirt side up. My boyfriend liked this look. So experiment and do what you like.

Once aain it all depends on the look you want.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Lady Neysa

Wecome Ladyhawke!  I'm glad you enjoyed your first faire.  It just gets better and better. You're going to have so much fun!  I hear that Sterling is a very nice faire. 

Like everyone else has said, if you're not worried about having historically accurate garb, then just about anything goes.  Choose the styles and colors you love.  A good rule of thumb, for me at least,-in this east coast heat, the fewer layers, the better.  I see plenty of wenches who wear both single skirts and layers as well.  Having 2 skirts will allow for mixing and matching, especially if you get a reversible bodice,  but it certainly isn't necessary, you won't get strange looks if you only have one. A bodice isn't even absolutely necessary for your first time in garb.  Buying bodices online can be tricky, so you might want to consider trying some on at faire to get an idea of how they're supposed to fit. 
Good luck on your search, and have fun!

ladyecho

welcome! to my  first faire i wore a halloween costume. not h/a but it fit in. the best place for accessories is yard sales and thrift stores. for things like leather bags, leather belts, costume jelwery, long skirts, and i even found goblets for my grandniece and myself! you'll never know what you'll find untill you go out and look.

ladyhawke

Thank you for all your advice.  Yes, comfort is key for me!  And the only thing I didn't think of at all was a hat.  
As soon as I make some choices, I will share what I have.  Then...it will be on to accessories, although, all I really need is a something to hold my cash and something to drink out of!  ;D
But then the girly girl in me comes out, and I need shoes and a belt and jewelry, earrings at the very least.  I did say that my husband was happy about this right...maybe not after the credit card bill comes in!  LOL
Ladyhawke

isabelladangelo

Hi ladyhawke. 

I think my research on bodice and skirt sets during the Renaissance might help you develop and eye for what you might need.  A simple, over the bust bodice, a plain broomstick skirt (you can still get those for $10 at the mall), and a plain, white chemise blouse should work for you.  Make sure the fabrics are natural (cotton, linen, silk) and not synthetic (rayon, polyester).  This is really because poly is plastic and doesn't breathe unlike natural fibers.  Basically, the natural fibers keep you cooler, longer.

For your husband, I'd suggest a simple pair of loose pants in cotton or linen with a plain tunic over that.  You might want to look on ebay, etsy, or just at the various "garb for sale" lists.   Have fun and good luck!

irish

Hi ladyhawke!
Welcome to the forums! I would say wear what makes you feel comfy. Maybe just try a skirt and blouse.....'peasent type'.
I hope to meet you, when you travel to Sterling!
irish   ;D
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

Lady Renee Buchanan

Welcome to the forums!  I have a couple of suggestions.

For your first garb, don't spend a huge amount of money all at once.  What you wear the first time you go to faire will probably not what you will want to be wearing 3 years down the road. 

As my knowledge increased through reading the posts on this forum and looking at the pictures, I found in others' garb what I liked and then what I didn't like about mine.  If you drop a bunch of money at the beginning, you might not end up liking what you bought but just end up wearing because you've invested so much.  My early garb has either been delegated to loaning to friends who are going to faire for the first time (or who need something to wear at Halloween) or else I spent a lot of money to have it reworked by someone who knows what she is doing.

We've been going to faire on and off for 28 years (consistently for the last 12), and some days I wear one skirt, some 2 skirts, sometimes with a farthingale (hoop), sometimes without.

But always -- insert this again in capital letters -- always -- wear bloomers.  They prevent "ren rash" in the hot summer.  You can even buy cotton pajama bottoms and cut off to the knee, leaving the bottoms open for air to circulate.  I would spend my money on that first.

Most importantly, have fun, wear what is comfortable, and you feel you look great in!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Athena

Welcome to the forums, Laurie!

There's some great advice here, and I agree that you should start off simple then build on that. Stick to natural fabrics, you'll be happy to be wearing them in the heat!  If you're looking for a bodice online, go by your measurements, not your dress size.

Also, when you're at Sterling check out the vendors. Even if you don't purchase anything you can get ideas for what looks you'd like to try.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Drouzin

Quote"But always -- insert this again in capital letters -- always -- wear bloomers.  They prevent "ren rash" in the hot summer.  You can even buy cotton pajama bottoms and cut off to the knee, leaving the bottoms open for air to circulate.  I would spend my money on that first."

LOL, this cannot be stressed enough!  I had my first "ren rash" after gaining a significant amout of weight and ended up walking about like a bow legged cowboy for a couple of days after fair.  After that I used a pair of biker shorts until I could find a pair of bloomers in short and chunky size. 

We had to go to fair without garb one year and I can attest that wearing garb does make a difference in the experience!

ladyhawke

Yes, I have anticipated the need for bloomers of some sort!  I am intrigued by the crotchless ones...may make trips to the privy easier...

So, I found my skirt and bodice.  I will just stick to one skirt and I will have a full length chemise if I want to hike it up.  I have felt mary janes.  I will have bloomers.  I will work on finding a hat and a belt. Otherwise, sweet (well...sometimes) and simple?  Am I missing anything?

Now, regarding "the girls", I have heard that the bodice doesn't completely support them.  What can I wear underneath?  Can I just wear my lowest bra?

Ladyhawke

Trillium

It depends on the bodice and how well you are endowed.  For now, since this is your first set of garb, I would suggest finding a bra that can be hidden.  Some will tell you to go without a bra or to buy a corset.   It's a personal choice.  Personally, I wear a bra that can be made strapless.  My bodice gives enough support with the help of the bra to make me happy.  Corsets aren't cheap and in Texas heat, I don't think I could handle the heat of the extra layers.  But that is my personal choice, there are plenty of women in full noble garb in 90 degree heat who handle it fine.
Got faerie dust?

Silverbee

Yay, someone asked the bra question!  I'm new to garbing as well and had wondered what to do about support.  I think I'll wait until my bodice gets here and see how much support it actually gives me.  I was thinking I may need to go with a strapless bra.
What a strange power there is in clothing.  ~Isaac Bashevis Singer