News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Getting Ready For Faire. What do you do?

Started by Will Gamwell, July 22, 2008, 09:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dallan

Fight'n

remission

Yea 7 hours is a bit far for me, unless I can go with a large group to camp somewhere. Havent been camping since I was a lil boi and would love to try it out again.

One day I will have to travel and do that.

Dallan

Quote from: remission on August 11, 2008, 01:54:33 PM
Yea 7 hours is a bit far for me, unless I can go with a large group to camp somewhere. Havent been camping since I was a lil boi and would love to try it out again.

One day I will have to travel and do that.

You should try VARF in the spring. It's just outside Fredericksburg, VA so it's 2 to 3 hours away depending on where you are and what time you leave. It's held at Lake Anna Winery and there is camping nearby.  We have adopted it as our second Home Faire because we love it so much. It's much smaller and more intimate than MDRF. The size has advantages and disadvantages. The pluses way out weigh the minuses. Closing weekend is typically Father's Day Weekend and there are usually a couple invasions. That weekend has become a family tradition for us.
Fight'n

bershokwench

Quote from: Rafe on July 22, 2008, 09:54:22 AM
So every year I know that I have certain things that I do to get ready for Faire.  I am interested to know what you all do to get ready.  Any "rituals" that you have?

I have to try on my dress and bodice. I was pregnant the last time I wore them and the bodice didn't fit too well. :D Mostly I just work on my accent, tho I do need to get myself a good pair of boots.
VICKY BERSHOK

Steev

Besides talking incessantly about what I'm going to do at the faire and getting garb and accessories ready, I run to all the banks in town and have my brother go to the mint in DC to load up on HUNDREDS of dollar coins.  There's almost nothing cooler than paying for everything with clinking gold and silver.  Plus, it beats the hell out of unrolling bills to check denominations.   *Clink, Clink, Clink, Clink* for the libation and *Clink* for your trouble, good woman!  We also give our kids (7 and 5) $20 each season to spend on whatever they want (we buy food and drink).  For some reason, both kids always run out of money before the third visit...
Born too late.  But not too late for faires.

Lady Renee Buchanan

I just saw theChuck's request for CDs today.  Sorry about the late reply!

We listen to Jesse Linder, Molly & the Tinker, Michael Quinn, Seelie Court, the Celtic Women CDs (though this last is not pub songs).   We have several compilation CDs with various artists, one of our favorites is a fundraiser for the Rescu Foundation.  We have faire CDs in our car, on our computer, in our CD player.  Almost never listen to "regular" music anymore.  Our non-faire friends are usually blown away when Steve drives and they have to sit and listen to Tartanic or Cast in Bronze. 
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Hawkwind

I'm from Louisiana but live in Houston now, and I have a BUNCH of friends from LA that come to TX every year to attend TRF with me. As anyone who's tried to corral and organize a bunch of drunk cajun rennies knows, it's like herding cats. Nigh on impossible.

So, to make things safer and easier, we rent a 15 passenger van and pack upwards of 20+ people, all their gear, and a cooler of homemade mead in that sucker. The drive to and from the Faire are as epic as the day itself. For some reason tired drunk rennies like to sing Styx songs at the top of their lungs all the ay back to Houston..... I always have to apologize to whomever the designated driver is the next morning for the singing and my drunken navigation skills.... we've found somelong and interesting routes from Plantersville to Houston over the years..

Other things I do:
- pull out garb and make sure it all is in good condition
- flush boda bags out with HOT water and a little iodine, year olde mead is NASTY
- look at the festival calendar of events and decide what shows we want to try to see
- send silly faire based text messages and e-mails to my friends to get them fired up. We're going to TRF Nov. 1st so today sent them this text: "What is that scent of spice, honey, pine, dirt, stale beer, and a hint of feces bourne upon the North wind? The Sea Hag beckons you all!" Many years back in a MUCH intoxicated state the Sea Devil Tavern became the "Sea Hag" to us and it just stuck.

I CAN'T WAIT TIL FAIRE!

Hawkwind
Every renaissance comes to the world with a cry, the cry of the human spirit to be free. -Anne Sullivan Macy
~Hawkwind~

Jack Daw at Work

The night before I take out my dirk and claymore and polish the blades (NO JOKES!).  I may take out my kit and inventory all my items to make sure I'm not unpleasantly surprised in the morning.  I go as a Highlander in great kilt, so while I dress I always put a piobaireachd ['Pibroch' - ancient solo pipe tunes] in the CD player.
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

Scarlett

Getting ready for faire is almost as fun as going!  Let's see, I usually start by making a list of everything I need.  Then Morwyn and I email each other back and forth for at least a week discussing garb, then changing our minds at least three times.  By Friday night I have my garb selected as well as footwear, accessories, jewelry, etc.  I have my food and drink ready to go so all I have to do is pack it in the cooler Saturday morning:  cheese & crackers, veggies & dips, humus, some fruit, water.  And of course plenty of champagne and oj for the morning tailgate!  Then it's off to meet Morwyn at Starbucks and hit the road! 

OMG!  I'm so excited!  July is waaay too far away!
Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

washmcrack

pull the kilts out of the closet and make sure they are ready to be worn, if not off to the dry cleaners.
wash all the shirts(trying to get all of the pub stains out)and hang them up to dry so they have that nice neutral smell, scuff up the boots(yes i said scuff them up i wear them to work so they may get polish on them between faires) fill the zippo(a true gentelman is never without a light...not claiming to be one but i do have a lighter if you need one) make sure the bottle opener is in my sporran(its the good kind that can open wine or beer bottles) consider getting the nobles garb out and then desiding not to(too much hassel although i may this year because my roommate made me a new montrose doublet) sharpen the blades, "condition" the mug, practice lifting mug, party with all the rennie friends who cant make it the night before we leave. get up fill the tank and go to the pub closest to faire. oass out fr a couple hours then get the garb on and go to faire.
Lairde Wash M'crack
aka Justin Driscoll
Chiefton Clan O'Doinn

Queen Bonnie

Getting ready is such fun! I fill my flasks first, get the wands and staffs ready and make sure my love potion gourd is full!
Arrange the garb with fans, bodices shoes and sharp pointies and all my jewelry and my crown of course!.  Make sure I have at least 40 or 50 pounds of COB ( crap on belt)  I also make a list! Gas in the Meowmobile!   And my happy driving to faire CD playing full blast !
POOF! I am there!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Seryn

First, I prepare with lots of bouncing around chanting "We're going to faire, we're going to faire!" for at least 1 week prior, if not more.  Make garb or accessories if needed, and mend any problems in the garb we have.  Coordinate with the fairemily to see who is bringing what as far as food and rink is concerned and what we need to bring.  Load up on more drink than is necessary.  Fill my flask.  Arrange garb and pack it.  If it is nearer the end of TRF or if it is CTRF (both of which means it will be cold at night) make sure we have thermal underwear, sweatpants, gloves, hats, and more layers than anyone person should need.  Get camping gear in order.  Try unsuccessfully to sleep the night before.  Hit the road bouncing and full of joy.  Arrive at faire and finally feel like I'm home.
Seryn
Gndecent Gnomie
Master Baiter on the HSI
Seryn of Chaos

BLAKDUKE

Make sure the camper is loaded with all the necessary garb, blades, walking staffs, belts, boots, gowns etc.  Insure that the fridge is stocked with beer and snacks.  Do not worry so much about main food as we usually raid the food vendors for left overs at discounts, deep discounts on Sunday night.   this for faires we do as performers.  As visitors we make sure we have the right garb, and campground reservations.     
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

eloquentXI

I never stop talking about faire, so months beforehand include getting all of my friends onboard for the timeline as to when faire is and talking them into coming out to see me at Scarby, and in the works for having some friends come with me to TRF in the Fall already. I'm always sketching garb, whether its during a dull moment in class or if I'm waiting at the doctors office, I just like to brainstorm different things, different combination. Always wanting to get a new chemise or skirt made, a new color combo, am trying to figure out what I'm going to save up for at Scarby this season... the night before I leave for Scarby includes making sure I have water and food to put in the cooler in the morning, picking out the outfit, getting my boots, belt, tail, pouches, swagrag, etc. etc. etc. all in my tub, charge the cell, and make sure that if anyone is coming with, they know to be ready to go at a specific time. Or else...well, they can find another ride.  ;D
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Jack Daw at Work

This year, Halloween falls on a Staurday at one of the TRF weekends.  It's ALWAYS wilder on a Halloween!  I cn hardly wait.
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."