News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Historical interpreters' thread

Started by groomporter, July 30, 2008, 04:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

groomporter

I know Renfairs are not historic sites, but they do offer opportunities to act as historical interpreters like those at historic sites, so I thought it might be worth having a place to talk about the subject. I'll start things off with some articles I wrote years ago for my old living history group.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

groomporter

The diagram illustrates the range of patrons at various historic-themed events and their interest or involvement. It is adapted from a similar one in the book Performing the Pilgrims which was a look at the way the Pilgrims have been portrayed Plimoth Plantation. The proportional size of each group obviously varies with each event.

Tourists: The largest number of visitors might be described as tourists -people out for a day trip, but not really planning on learning anything. They are there to look at some of the "neat stuff", or to gawk at things which are unusual in their day-to-day world. Their degree of involvement or interaction is often superficial. At most, they are often just there to be entertained.

Browsers: as I have called them, are smaller in numbers than the tourists, but are more receptive to interaction. They are more open to learning or experiencing something, and are more or less actively on the look out for something that catches their attention or interest.

Students: These are the people who are definitely at the event to learn something if they can, at least in a passive way, by observing what is going on and perhaps asking a question or two. They may not be interested in one-on-one or direct interaction, but they are willing to stop and listen to a presentation of some sort.

Anthropologist/explorers: These are fewer and far between, but often are the most fun to interact with as a historical interpreter. They have an understanding what we are doing and sometimes stay around as long as you continue to provide them with information or experiences. They actively seek information and ask questions. I like to think of them as amateur anthropologists investigating the culture we portray.

Participants: Fellow participants, or potential new recruits.

The vast majority of patrons at events have the potential to increase their level of participation - to move inward to the next circle of patrons. Part of the goal as interpreters should be to encourage patrons in each ring to cross the line into the next level closer to the center.

There are numerous ways we can do this. With my old reenactment group I occasionally picked up the one 18 foot pike we had and stood near the weapons rack. When someone stopped to look at the weapons and gawk at the huge pole I was holding, I welcomed them to our camp and explained that we portray an earlier period than the rest of the rendezvous, and from there started talking about the weapons. I thereby turned some "Browsers" into "students" as they began listening to my presentation.

When you converse with a patron, or small group of patrons, don't stand as close as you would for a normal conversation. If you stand a little farther apart, you are forced to speak a little louder. This makes what you are saying more audible to passersby. And often more important, helps insure that they realize you are not having a private conversation and that they are welcome to listen in. When other patrons gather, look at them and acknowledge their presence with a nod, or step a pace back so everyone can see and hear you clearly. A little body-language does wonders. Congratulations! You've just turned some of the "tourists" into browsers.

groomporter

"Blurring the Lines between participant and patron"
This used to be one of the favorite concepts of one of the founders of our group Clann Tartan. It referred to finding safe ways to let the visiting public have more of a hands-on experience with history. One of the ways we used was as part of talk on the history of the kilt is to dress a patron in a great kilt, and then hand him a short headless pike and get him involved in our demonstration of the military drill with the pike along side our experienced soldiers. Or it could be as simple as letting someone try to spin a little wool with a drop spindle, or try one a piece of armor or helmet to feel the weight. 

groomporter

There are two primary styles of first-person interpretation:

Documentary interpretation. The portrayal of an actual historical figure. This is used at some historic sites such as Plymouth Plantation where the interpreters portray the documented, historical inhabitants of the settlement. For example, you could research John Knox, his life and writings and portray Knox himself. At times, it is closer to acting than interpretation. It does has some advantages:

It does not require you to invent a life history from scratch.
Information from their personal writings of the person, or actual events can be presented in skit form for educational purposes.
It provides a very solid historical backing because you do not have to "make up" anything. It is all based on a documented, real life.

But, it also has disadvantages:

Detailed research is required to know the details of your subject's life and attitudes.
It can require learning information which may hold little interest for you. Ben Franklin should know something about printing -it was his trade.
Someone more knowledgeable may eventually show up and challenge your interpretation.
If you are trying to portray a specific year, you have to try not to present things that have not yet happened in your "life". Yet, you should still know enough about them to answer questions that may arise.

Representative Interpretation. This is portraying fictional persona that are based on your historical research. You create a character that could have been real. This allows the most flexibility, or creativity in your character. It still requires plenty of research to be done properly, but, being able to create the persona from scratch allows you to focus on your personal interests, talents, or crafts. The danger, of course, is straying from the history, and letting too much imagination create your persona.

It is certainly possible to use both styles and create a fictional persona that is firmly based on an actual historical figure. For example, someone could research Sir Francis Drake, and base their persona on aspects of his life. Through the simple expedient of using a different name than "Drake" you are free to custom-design details of the persona to include your interests or information you wish to teach to your visitors.

Tygrkat

This is a fantastic addition, groomporter!  :)

As someone who is fairly new to looking at Renfaires as something to participate in, as opposed to just being an event to attend, this piece helps me look at ways to involve myself more. It's very easy to involve one's self in the drinking of mead {I should know  ;) } and the wearing of garb{ or some attempt at least}, but it seems a bit more intimidating to me to delve deeper into the historical aspects, especially concerning character development. This information is most helpful!

Gramercy!  ;D
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

groomporter

Thanks!
A couple more terms that may be useful

First-Person Interpretation: Portraying a person from the past who has no knowledge of the modern world. This type of portrayal sometime suffers from "baiting" by some annoying patrons who fish for ways to get them to drop their character.

My time/ Your Time: A form of historical interpretation where the historical character is aware he has a modern audience. "In my time we didn't know as much about the health effects of good sanitaion as you do in your time..." Because they "know" about modern times as well as "their own time', they are sometimes better able to communicate to visitors who can't play along with a first person interpretation.

Third Person Interpretation: All role-playing is dropped, including any dialect. You are yourself, a twentieth century person, teaching another twentieth century patron about history - basically a "tour guide" wearing historical clothing. This is often the easiest method, as it requires no play-acting, and requires the least imagination or suspension of disbelief from the visiting patron.

peggyelizabeth

Great thread Charles.
This would be helpful in Create a Character as well-gets the mind thinking about how far person is comfortable in portraying a time period.

groomporter

While people often try to draw a line between "acting" and "historical interpretation," we can't deny that good acting can go a long way to help an interpretive/educational presentation. Obviously, not every "skit" can be planned as we interact with each other and our visitors, a high number of our interactions are always going to be "ad-lib," or improvisation. The first question when we do plan an educational skit should be "What information are we trying to pass on?" or "What can a visitor learn from this?"

A good source for interpretive skits is to correct assumptions or misconceptions held by our audience, or supply them with information that might show how life or customs have changed. Examples:

- Elizabethan sumptuary laws forbid wearing of certain fabrics or colors by certain classes, someone caught wearing something inappropriate could bribe someone to get out of being prosecuted?

- The regimental surgeon of an Elizabethan military unit was often the last person you would want to consult about an illness or injury. Respected doctors did anything to avoid military service because of the low pay, thus leaving many positions open to be filled by quacks and fakes.

The following brief outline may help plan skits, or scenarios.

1. Title:

2. "Cast" required (Number and type):

3. Scene/location:

4. Length (No longer than 15 minutes. Sketches should also be complete in themselves - visitors shouldn't have to wait around, or come back to learn the end, or you are getting too complex):

5. Teaching Points - What do you want the audience to learn? (best limited to 1 per sketch):

6. Props (keep to a minimum, eliminate anything unnecessary, or distracting. If they're looking at the props they're missing the lesson!):

7. Summary of action:

8. Safety considerations:

9. Sources/Documentation:

Poldugarian Warrior

You know this would be a really good idea. But, I think most people whom attend faire aren't worried about learning history as much as they are in eating,drinking, and watching shows,playing games, and buying stuff. Even though many people have asked me about my garb and I've given them long explanations and then they'd ask about another person's garb and they'd stop to talk and so on and so on and pretty soon there's a large gathering of people only around maybe 2 or 3 guys or gals in garb whom are usually patrons like myself giving a history lesson. of course the group may only amount to 8-10 people usually kids and older people, but it's still quite neat to share the knowledge I have of the renaissance with people whom other wise may not have a interest if none of it was explained. So that's why I do faire to have a good time feasting,drinking, playign games, and buying stuff (equipment for garb), and watchign shows. And share some history, but not bore people with it.

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

Quote from: Poldugarian Warrior on August 06, 2008, 08:02:11 AM
You know this would be a really good idea. But, I think most people whom attend faire aren't worried about learning history as much as they are in eating,drinking, and watching shows,playing games, and buying stuff. And share some history, but not bore people with it.

I agree, this is a great idea. I want to address your remark though good Lord.

But, I think most people whom attend faire aren't worried about learning history as much as they are in eating,drinking, and watching shows,playing games, and buying stuff.

I think this would all depend on your attire. If you're sporting plate, by default you've placed yourself in a large historical period (knight in shining armor= what period), unless you're wearing the colors of Edward the Black Prince, Joan of Arc, Henry VIII, etc., religating you to a specific period.

My experience has been folks coming up to ask about the attire, and bouncing it off what they learned from the Davinci Code *grits teeth* >:(. If they just want to take a picture, they pretty much go to the point. But most of the time, again for my attire, we'll spend chatting about the history of the Order. Hopefully they walk away with myths dispelled and a new found interest in the Order's history. So my bottom line is, what you wear plays a big part in what they want to know. If they can't tie the object to something specifc (time/event, person or group) it's too vague for them to inquire.

Poldugarian Warrior

I get your point. I'm a big history fan. And I've dressed in my crusader garb, and yes evryone always gets their info. from the Da Vinci code, then they want to  discuss all of the weird accusations that were put on them to force them out of the order. And so then it turns negative, but then you try to explain that the crusaders were the special forces of the day to give them some connection to the modern times then the crusaders don't look like treasure hording devil worshippers as many people are starting to believe. I usually wear my Hungarian leather armor which sort of looks like Japanese or Chinese armor, and that's the first thing out of their mouths, so then I go on to explain the migrations and battles by the Mongols and Russians and how Eastern Europe was settled.  I too have always had a positive experience though because like you I go in garb and know the history. The only thing is I don't want to explain too long if I'am boring them with facts they don't really care about, or hold up their time from doing something else. Just I think the majority of people there are there not to learn, which is a shame because there is much history to be learned, just by talking to the craftsmen/women, performers, and evryone in garb usually knows a little bit or can point the way to someone who does. So all in all, it's great, but I don't see a large group of people going to faire to learn history.

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

I understand what your saying. Maybe when they approach you, you could ask or verbally hint lightly as to what they want to know, and how much do they want to know about it. I usually follow their first question with a statement to the effect of " now here's a topic I like to chat about" *hint, hint..wayward pilgrim...this could be a lengthy reply...so tell me know if all you want is a photo op!*

From the sounds of your reply, and your confession to wearing Crusader attire, might I interest you in the "Following Orders" thread........it ain't the Davinci Code! ;)  *not stealing him from this thread! Just linking up history buffs, I promise. Deus vult!*

AnyuBoo

Quote from: Poldugarian Warrior on August 06, 2008, 08:51:26 AM
I get your point. I'm a big history fan. And I've dressed in my crusader garb, and yes evryone always gets their info. from the Da Vinci code, then they want to  discuss all of the weird accusations that were put on them to force them out of the order. And so then it turns negative, but then you try to explain that the crusaders were the special forces of the day to give them some connection to the modern times then the crusaders don't look like treasure hording devil worshippers as many people are starting to believe. I usually wear my Hungarian leather armor which sort of looks like Japanese or Chinese armor, and that's the first thing out of their mouths, so then I go on to explain the migrations and battles by the Mongols and Russians and how Eastern Europe was settled.  I too have always had a positive experience though because like you I go in garb and know the history. The only thing is I don't want to explain too long if I'am boring them with facts they don't really care about, or hold up their time from doing something else. Just I think the majority of people there are there not to learn, which is a shame because there is much history to be learned, just by talking to the craftsmen/women, performers, and evryone in garb usually knows a little bit or can point the way to someone who does. So all in all, it's great, but I don't see a large group of people going to faire to learn history.

You have Hungarian leather armour?  Do you have a pic?  I'm from Hungary, so that's why I'm so interested in seeing it.  I'd love to hear some of the history as well, as I only know what I've read in books.  (We left when I was in grade 1, so I never learned the history in school.)
When everything seems to be coming your way...
...you're in the wrong lane!

Poldugarian Warrior

I'd have to get an account on photobucket, but for the time being if you've ever attended MiRF. The shop Pyramid Leather next to the wooden sword shop next to the gate info and gift shop. Makes this leather armor it's in segments sort of like a lobster's tail the pauldrons(shoulder armor), the cuirass(body armor), and the greaves(shin and thigh armor) all have that segmentation.  reason I chose Hungarian armor as garb is that I am of Hungarian, Polish, and Dutch descent, and so what better way to interpret history of my bloodline than through the garb I wear at faire. I've had people of Hungarian and Polish nationality and descent say "Man, I didn't know we used to wear such cool looking armor." And then it goes of there where I explain that most of eastern Europe armor design was influenced by styles from Persia,Russia, and the far east (China and Japan). The countries that constantly attacked them, Mongols being like the Chinese, and Japan never attacked them, but the influence of eastern armor styles got to the Mongols and so then to eastern Europe. But, of course through all this conquereing eastern Europe got good equipment to fight in, and many other technologies not known before these invasions.

Here are two books you should look up to get more info. on the medieval to renaissance history of Hungary and Poland, but it also encompasses all of eastern Europe to show the influences of the countries around them. Both are produced by www.ospreypublishing.com and if your not a big reader of military books or magazines then I would suggest borrowing them from a library, because these books are quite expensive for as small as they are, but loaded with info. and not just about the military some political reasons are cited to as why they fought and with whom and when. So here are the titles:

Men-at-Arms Hungary and the fall of Eastern Europe 1000-1568  Author:David Nicolle Illustration by Angus McBride

Men-at-Arms Polish Armies 1569-1696 (1) yes there is a (2)  Author: Richard Brzezinski Illustration by Angus McBride

Hope this helps. I too enjoy finding things out about my family's history.

Poldugarian Warrior