News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

To Garb or Not?

Started by Brother Robert of Essex, August 06, 2008, 01:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Robert of Essex

Wow it really sounds like Garbing is the way to go. I was worried if I show up in something incorrect that people might start snickering or saying 'what a moron' LOL - but it seems like at least starting out I can get away with just something very simple.

I am going to give it a whirl!

I love the outfits that people have put together, when I went last week I must have taken 200 pictures - just of people in the outfits. Some of them look extremely difficult to put together too LOL!  People must be ready to pass out under wool cloaks and armor in the middle of summer..

Makes you really wonder about the Crusaders and having to fight in mail armor in the holy land - yikes.

BrokenArts

That is one thing to consider very much, your comfort zone.  I *HATE* being hot.  So, a nice cool comfortable outfit is indeed a must for me.  I love the pretty dresses, but, not if I am going to melt in them, no thanks. 

NoBill Lurker

If this has been said before it still needs to be repeated. Remember to go for clothing made from "Natural Fibers" ,like cotton and such. This is most likely how those people you saw where able to survive in the heat.  ;D
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

gem

Quote from: Sir Robert of Essex on August 08, 2008, 01:27:41 PMPeople must be ready to pass out under wool cloaks and armor in the middle of summer.

Armor, yes.  Wool?  Not necessarily!  People are constantly surprised how comfortable the period fibers and fabrics really are--particularly when you take into account the protection from the sun.  This picture was taken when it was about 85 degrees out.  That's *all* wool there (except for my linen shift)--really nice wool flannel, even.  And I didn't even break a sweat.

You will very quickly get used to the costumers on this board chanting "natural fibers, natural fibers, natural fibers."  (Linen and wool are the best for staying cool, cotton and silk keep you a little warmer.  Of course, you want to take the weight and finish of the wool into consideration, but in general, it's lovely, lovely, lovely all-weather-friendly stuff.)

robert of armstrong

Quote from: Sir Robert of Essex on August 08, 2008, 01:27:41 PM

People must be ready to pass out under wool cloaks and armor in the middle of summer..

It's not so bad.  I am wearing what you see in my picture to every faire I go to this year  (there is a higher res version in Arms and Armor "my new scale maille).  Last year it was the same, only with slightly lighter chain maille.  My daughter will be born in the fall, and chasing around a little one in that next year is not a good prospect, so I need to get it out of my system before that.

Although heavy, the breeze blows right through it.  You do sweat a bunch, carrying it around is hard work and tires me towards the end of the day, but how I feel in it and the reaction I get is well worth it.  This is not something to start out in, however.
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: robert of armstrong on August 11, 2008, 07:00:58 AM
Quote from: Sir Robert of Essex on August 08, 2008, 01:27:41 PM

People must be ready to pass out under wool cloaks and armor in the middle of summer..

It's not so bad.  I am wearing what you see in my picture to every faire I go to this year  (there is a higher res version in Arms and Armor "my new scale maille).  Last year it was the same, only with slightly lighter chain maille.  My daughter will be born in the fall, and chasing around a little one in that next year is not a good prospect, so I need to get it out of my system before that.

Although heavy, the breeze blows right through it.  You do sweat a bunch, carrying it around is hard work and tires me towards the end of the day, but how I feel in it and the reaction I get is well worth it.  This is not something to start out in, however.

I tried it this weekend in a very simple attire - and have to admit it was more fun than I expected LOL.   Though putting it on and off at the car , at first I felt a little weird like people were going to laugh at me.   

The material while all wool - was actually pretty comfortable I didn't feel hot even in the sun. It was however, annoying to get to my money, credit cards, and driver license for those character-breaking moments of shopping lol!

So I see I need to invest in a bag of some sort that blends in.

I also encountered a problem with footwear. A Budget-conscious choice got me a pair of Renaissance shoes online, though when they arrived, I realized why they were so well priced - it was all synthetic material. Once my foot was in there, I was sweating like crazy, and this was just the test-wear I did at home before going. Sitting on the sofa with those shoes on for 30 minutes and when I took my feet out my socks were soaking wet.   So I had to go to the faire in normal footwear which really looked terrible if anyone paid close attention ( though tried to cover it as much as I good with a floor-length garment ).

Having seen a couple of knightly-sorts wearing sneakers though.. I guess I could have been worse.

But some decent shoes will be next on the agenda. Maybe I'll just start with sandals?

Eventually I'd love to go the Knightly route - I do see chainmail offered online but I have to wonder - how do you know it will fit? I mean I can't haul my Chaimail to my local Chinese laundry and ask them to alter it. 

Also it seems to run around $300 for just a chainmail shirt , I hate to gamble with a poor fit!

Trillium

Unless you're in noble garb, you can most likely get away with some plain leather sandals.  Here in Texas, it's not an unusual sight on those 90 degree weekends (plus 80% humidity), I've never given it a second thought.  Better to be slightly out of place, if anyone even notices, than to have heat stroke.  And they are a lot more comfortable and look better than tennis shoes!
Got faerie dust?

CountessofPhoenix

I have heel spurs and have to wear orthodics in any shoe I'm spending all day on my feet in. Several footwear companies make black or brown tennis shoes. They blend in better and until I can find period shoes to put my insoles into keep my feet from hurting all day long.
Countess of Phoenix
Descendant of Celtic Nobility
Designer Extraordinaire
We are only limited by what we can dream

LadySeasan

I love going in garb. I feel awkward if I dont go in garb. lol.  I feel more immersed into the experience.  Cast and regulars interact with me more when I am in garb.  It is so much fun to speak to regulars there, and get photo ops :)

im still waiting for me r/f pin. lol :(
Clan M'Crack-Season M'Crack

LadyStitch

Natural fibers you will ALWAYS be much happier. 

On the shoe issue, I have to say leather is the way to go.  As much as it is a pain to break in (don't do it at the faire it's self) it is worth it.  I would rather spend 50-100 bucks getting a good pair of rennisance or Medival mocassins then wear regualr store bought stuff.  My rogue bought a pair to go with his kilt, and they became his sandles for the summer.  When it get's chilly we just add matching socks   ;D
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.