News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

this weekend

Started by laedyfaire, August 15, 2008, 08:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: Green Monk on August 26, 2008, 08:22:20 PM
R.O.E.

Get your self a Tankard son !!!!

GM

The Green Monk!! Yes I am - Saturday - we shall Christen it together..

laedyfaire

i am hoping to be there on saturday!! to me the weather looks great...a hint of a thunderstorm! love that! 

head count for saturday?

laedyfaire

oh..and welcome Green Monk...

Matty Pine Brownie

Hm, alright. Do you plan to stay the full faire day?
- Mornings, this would be our first attempt to make opening gate. I know that this likely means 9-9:15 meeting at the hotel. We tend to arrive closer to 11, but that is strictly because we were going it alone.
As far as a time to leave is concerned. We have never stayed till closing for this faire. We have historically started for the gate close to 6:30pm.  However, we also were not traveling with anyone. We are grateful either way. Whether it is coming, or coming and going. It is more than we thought we might have and better than we could have hoped for.
We thank you for your offer and any help you can provide. We look forward to sharing the journey with you, and your friend.

I have a friend coming in on Saturday and my routine is that I go pick her up from the bus, and take the Garden State north to 17, then follow 17 up, etc etc.

So my planned route means I would pass by your hotel - so assuming everyone is on time etc, maybe we could detour and do a pick up?  Only thing is you'd kind of be at our mercy because I usually try to stay the full faire day and leave after the pub sing.. if that is not an issue I can ask and see if she is OK with that idea?   Everyone can go do their thing and we can plan to meet at the gate at the end of the day or something like that.   I'm also going on Sunday ( though don't think she is going that day ) and plan to go Monday as well.
Our plan is for Saturday and Sunday. Monday between check out and an almost three hour trip back to the Beach makes it much saner to pass on Monday.  Thank you for the offer however.

MPB
Rogues and Pollywogs! Where is the Brownie?

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: Matty Pine Brownie on August 27, 2008, 10:08:59 PM
Hm, alright. Do you plan to stay the full faire day?
- Mornings, this would be our first attempt to make opening gate. I know that this likely means 9-9:15 meeting at the hotel. We tend to arrive closer to 11, but that is strictly because we were going it alone.
As far as a time to leave is concerned. We have never stayed till closing for this faire. We have historically started for the gate close to 6:30pm.  However, we also were not traveling with anyone. We are grateful either way. Whether it is coming, or coming and going. It is more than we thought we might have and better than we could have hoped for.
We thank you for your offer and any help you can provide. We look forward to sharing the journey with you, and your friend.

I have a friend coming in on Saturday and my routine is that I go pick her up from the bus, and take the Garden State north to 17, then follow 17 up, etc etc.

So my planned route means I would pass by your hotel - so assuming everyone is on time etc, maybe we could detour and do a pick up?  Only thing is you'd kind of be at our mercy because I usually try to stay the full faire day and leave after the pub sing.. if that is not an issue I can ask and see if she is OK with that idea?   Everyone can go do their thing and we can plan to meet at the gate at the end of the day or something like that.   I'm also going on Sunday ( though don't think she is going that day ) and plan to go Monday as well.
Our plan is for Saturday and Sunday. Monday between check out and an almost three hour trip back to the Beach makes it much saner to pass on Monday.  Thank you for the offer however.

MPB

In that case, Saturday let's plan for 9-9:15 at the Hotel. I think the Hotel is on the South side of 17 so I have to turn around and come back the other way to get you then we can resume the trip.

I'll PM you my cell # so we can coordinate Saturday. I expect to be on the road by 8-8:30am ( having to pick up my friend first ).

Sunday, I'm planning to go for opening gate as well, but I will probably leave early because my friend must be back on Long island before 5pm so we might cut out around 2pm or so.

If you find an alternate means back to the hotel from the faire, then thats fine, otherwise we will be heading back after the pub sing. But we can hammer out the details on the way up.

jungleline

I haven't been yet this season! I went once last year and had a lot of fun.

I live in NYC and was curious if anyone was getting a group together at some point in the following weekends. I am away over the long Labor Day weekend.

The only thing is that a full day kind of seems like a lot ... but who knows, I can be flexible.

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: jungleline on August 29, 2008, 12:50:59 AM
I haven't been yet this season! I went once last year and had a lot of fun.

I live in NYC and was curious if anyone was getting a group together at some point in the following weekends. I am away over the long Labor Day weekend.

The only thing is that a full day kind of seems like a lot ... but who knows, I can be flexible.

I go every weekend I'm able. The only one I won't make is this coming Saturday because I'm on vacation ( Which was booked before I knew about the Faire at all ). I'm hoping to get back from Vegas by Saturday night and get to the faire in the morning - the hitch is picking up my dog early sunday morning and getting down to the Faire before the gate opens, I don't think I'll pull it off and will end up getting there around lunch time - thus losing my favorite parking space!

That being said though, I don't know where you are coming from, but if it's from NYC  and you can get to Willowbrook Shopping mall, I can detour and pick up.  But I do not drive an SUV nor do I have lots of trunk space - so while I'm willing to help out by picking someone up, its only assuming you don't have any special needs or are lugging a lot of baggage.  I had offered someone else a hand but later discovered they were bringing equipment that would not fit in our car at all so it didn't work out.

If it's just you and a normal sized bag, let me know.  The 195, 197, 191, 192 buses all go from Port Authority to Willowbrook mall. I think it costs you $10.50 round trip.

renfairewench

Yikes! What a long weekend. Saturday was slow in the store and gate was pretty low so I left the shoppe at 2:00 p.m. as I couldn't take the slowness. I suspect that the weather report of rain and thunderstorms kept people away, but the day turned out to be damn nice anyway. After I left the store I hung out around Mattie's Tavern and talked to friends most of the rest of the day and drank mead *slurp*. Sunday was so busy that I ended up NEVER getting out of the booth, except for Privy breaks. I ended up working from 8:00 in the morning until 8:00 at night. We had one customer who came back unsure of his purchase. Unfortunately he came back just at 7:00 as we were shutting the doors to the booth. He ended up keeping the boots he got though, but it did take him 15 minutes to come to a firm decision. As for Monday...WOW. What a day at faire! The place was packed with so many people that I was able to get away for around 20 minutes just to clear my head, but I had a hard time going anywhere with all the danes! We were steady in the booth, but not so busy to make ones head spin, though I wish we had been busier and had more sales (I'm never satisfied!  ;)), but all in all I guess it wasn't too terrible. As for the weather on Sunday and Monday, well it was just perfect and I'm happy for the faire and awesome gate numbers on both Sunday and Monday.

I will say that doing faire and working faire 3 days in a row is very exhausting and though our crew is generally great together all of us were feeling a bit short in the temper and tolerance area by days end. I know that my patience had simply worn thin too. I blame it on the fact that my feet were simply killing me from standing up 13 hours the day before.

We stayed in the Howard Johnson's Hotel in Suffern. It's OK as far as hotels go and close to faire so it was good that we didn't have to travel the near 2 hours back to home at the end of each day.

Next week I hope to actually get out of the booth for a bit as the week after that I have to be there from open to close. Talk about your long days! So, PLEASE stop in and see me.

Warmly,
Lady Double D

Dame Dulcinea Deveraux - My friends call me Lady Double D
Awww...ooooo...shiny...must...have!

laedyfaire

Lady Double D..sounds like a VERY long weekend for you! I was there on Sat but left early b/c the humidity got the best of me. I don't usually go on the Sunday or Monday of Labor day due to the crowds. I feel as you do though, I am glad that the faire has a high attendance, I just don't want to be in it! :)

I will be there next couple of Sats. and the last Sunday. I will stop in to say hi. LF

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: renfairewench on September 02, 2008, 10:49:51 AM
Yikes! What a long weekend. Saturday was slow in the store and gate was pretty low so I left the shoppe at 2:00 p.m. as I couldn't take the slowness. I suspect that the weather report of rain and thunderstorms kept people away, but the day turned out to be damn nice anyway. After I left the store I hung out around Mattie's Tavern and talked to friends most of the rest of the day and drank mead *slurp*. Sunday was so busy that I ended up NEVER getting out of the booth, except for Privy breaks. I ended up working from 8:00 in the morning until 8:00 at night. We had one customer who came back unsure of his purchase. Unfortunately he came back just at 7:00 as we were shutting the doors to the booth. He ended up keeping the boots he got though, but it did take him 15 minutes to come to a firm decision. As for Monday...WOW. What a day at faire! The place was packed with so many people that I was able to get away for around 20 minutes just to clear my head, but I had a hard time going anywhere with all the danes! We were steady in the booth, but not so busy to make ones head spin, though I wish we had been busier and had more sales (I'm never satisfied!  ;)), but all in all I guess it wasn't too terrible. As for the weather on Sunday and Monday, well it was just perfect and I'm happy for the faire and awesome gate numbers on both Sunday and Monday.

I will say that doing faire and working faire 3 days in a row is very exhausting and though our crew is generally great together all of us were feeling a bit short in the temper and tolerance area by days end. I know that my patience had simply worn thin too. I blame it on the fact that my feet were simply killing me from standing up 13 hours the day before.

We stayed in the Howard Johnson's Hotel in Suffern. It's OK as far as hotels go and close to faire so it was good that we didn't have to travel the near 2 hours back to home at the end of each day.

Next week I hope to actually get out of the booth for a bit as the week after that I have to be there from open to close. Talk about your long days! So, PLEASE stop in and see me.

Warmly,
Lady Double D

It was a fun experience Monday, let me tell you. The back of the faire seems the best spot - out there by the Maypole - the crowds thin out over there. But that front end - I suspect a lot of people don't realize the faire continues on to the back or something lol. The few who stopped me for directions were shocked to learn there was even MORE to the faire if they kept walking.

I still have to stop in, so many things were distracting me I never got to stop in and I walked by RenBoots a few times and kept thinking I should go inside - though it looked busy and I didn't want to upset potential sales by distracting people with chit chat.

I wonder how everyone did sales wise - with so many people on  Monday it must have been a great profit day!

I spent a lot of time in the shade with a drink ( Lemonade ) LOL

renfairewench

I'm not so sure that the performers were plastered, though as it's against the rules for the performers to drink while being "on duty", not to mention dangerous for them as well. It's more likely that they were playing a drunk. I know that one of the jousters does a pub sing with the wench singers where he acts very drunk, when what is actually in his mug is water.

robin35051

I can assure you, not one of the paid performers were "plastered".  It is strickly forbidden in our contract and grounds for instant dismissal. 

renfairewench

Quote from: robin35051 on September 03, 2008, 09:19:52 AM
I can assure you, not one of the paid performers were "plastered".  It is strickly forbidden in our contract and grounds for instant dismissal. 

**waves to Robin** (who likely doesn't know me, but that's OK too!)

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: robin35051 on September 03, 2008, 09:19:52 AM

I'm sure you're right, it was probably someone playing a gag then  :D

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: renfairewench on September 03, 2008, 07:48:08 AM
I'm not so sure that the performers were plastered, though as it's against the rules for the performers to drink while being "on duty", not to mention dangerous for them as well. It's more likely that they were playing a drunk. I know that one of the jousters does a pub sing with the wench singers where he acts very drunk, when what is actually in his mug is water.

The 'drunk' captain who does the wedding for the Sheriff is funny as hell, I love that guy lol  ;D